HDD too hot?

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
HDD too hot?
Hello
I just migrated all of my hardware Into a new case and the temperature of the hard drives increased from about 90° to about 110°. Is
that too warm for my drives? My case doesnt really give me much alternative for drive placement.
3.5"
Wd 160
Segate 80
all sandwichil together if you think its too hot then I will pull my 80gig dive or attempt a case mod.
Thanks

too hot is a relative term... it'll operate much hotter than that, but drive life is proportional to heat - try to get a fan blowing on the top metal part if you can - doesn't need to be alot, just a bit of airflow, and it'll cool it right off and you'll feel alot better about it

and of course seperating the drives allows them to cool better as well, both more airflow and less gained radiation (infrared) from each other

Inverse Square Law

all sandwichil together if you think its too hot then I will pull my 80gig dive or attempt a case mod.

Is there anywhere to mount an intake fan in front of the drives? If not, modding it to take one is an excellent idea.

Right now it looks like this:
boringcase.jpg

It doesnt show the drive cage very well but its sorta like that.

And for now.. I think I will just pull my 80gig drive

As far as I can tell, your bottom 5 1/4" slot is open. Sticking a Zalman heatpide HD cooler along with the hotter of the two drives in there should help quite a bit. 110 F isn't too bad, but like others have said it will affect longevity.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-213&depa=1

$26.99 shipped from the Egg. Cheapest price I found. My raptor was running ~50 C, now a coolish ~40. Also has the benefit of reducing vibration noise. Some bay coolers may help drop temps further, but you'll have to put up with the added noise.

Hrmm okay ill look into that they 5.25" bay is open so that might be a solution

Back