HDD makes noise w/o me using it

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, my HDD has been making some trange noises when I'm not using it. This is kind of hard for me to explain because I don't really know what it's doing. But it makes a noise like its reading data (like you would hear in some test, not from normal use) but on my case light nothing is happening. then when something from the system does access it and the light flashes on the front it'll stop the noise for a little and then like 30 seconds later it'll spurratically make the noise again; once again stopping when the system accesses it.

Now my question is, is this normal? Or should I be concerned with sending the drive back to newegg? I've run several tests on the HDD (including the seagate diagnostic one) and all of thm have come up with absolutely no errors anywhere in the system. thanks to all who help.

I get that too except mine's a WDC. Probably is the indexing service (which is up to no good methinks).

So what exactly does the indexing service do anyway? And is it something we can disable? (sorry if these are extremely noob questions!)

If you know where you put your stuff, and rarely use searching disable it

Windows Explorer > My Computer > RClick a Partition\Drive > Properties >
UnCheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching"

repeat for every Partition\Drive

Well is there any other purpose for it other then to speed up searching and almost making me think that once again there is a porblem with my HDD? I don't like to disable stuff that I might need. And as long as I know that its not F'ed up I'll leave it alone; it seems like buzzard34 and Xeese seem to think thats what it is.

I do have a question though, how can it do that w/o lighting up the HDD light on the front of my case?

Disk and file management features

High-performance content indexing
You can use Indexing Service to provide a fast, easy, and secure way for users to search for information locally or on the network. Users can search in files in different formats and languages, either through the Search command on the Start menu or through Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) pages that they view in a browser.

Using Microsoft Management Console (MMC)
The Microsoft Management Console (MMC) is a tool used to create, save, and open collections of administrative tools, called consoles. Consoles contain items such as snap-ins, extension snap-ins, monitor controls, tasks, wizards, and documentation required to manage many of the hardware, software, and networking components of your Windows system. You can add items to an existing MMC console, or you can create new consoles and configure them to administer a specific system component.

Including Indexing

Using Indexing Service XP

Indexing Service creates indexes of the contents and properties of documents on your local hard drive and on shared network drives. You can also control the information included in the indexes. Indexing Service is designed to run continuously and requires little, if any, maintenance.

To open Indexing Service

Open Computer Management (Local)
In the console tree, double-click Services and Applications.
Double-click Indexing Service.
Note

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
For information about using Indexing Service, on the Action menu in Computer Management, click Help.
For more information, click Related Topics.

screw those instructions
To open Computer Management, Start > Run > (type) compmgmt.msc :p (XP\W2K and probably NT as well)
but I just have a shortcut next to the start button, probably the single most useful window in windows
unless you perfer to configure MMC, to access MMC
Start > Run > (type) MMC

with any of those links, navigate to the left pane, and start reading other sections, do a couple a day :p

Okay, now, I want to ressurect this thread.

I was in the BIOS this morning and I still heard the same noise that I hear when in the windows environment. How could that be if its the indexing service?

it wouldnt be, it would be detecting the drive(s) and later (after the BIOS) looking for a boot sector\MBR

Back