HDD Corruption Problems...

SO13

n00b
Hello all,

I've been struggling sometime now with my hdds. I have 2 WD 200gb drives, 1 Maxtor 40gb and 1 WD 250gb along with an external USB Maxtor 120gb drive.

The 120 and 40 drives work fine, however when I fill the 200s or 250 to a certain point, they 'corrupt.' Like when i hit the 100gb mark, i'll eventually get "data write failed" type errors, restart and then Windows will do a chkdsk, "fix" the corrupt files, recover them and then they will be even more corrupt than before and i'll be forced to delete them because they cannot be fixed.

Right now i'm stuck inbetween two options and i don't know which to go with if not both. I'm either going to upgrade to dual processors seemingly if mine cant handle them or im going to upgrade my power supply. we're talking about a $400 difference in choices so all opinions/suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Here are my comp specs so you know what i'm dealing with here:

CPU: 2.8ghz P4
RAM: 3xPC333 DDR (1.0 gb)
HDD: 2x200 WD; 1x250 WD; 1x120 Maxtor; 1x40 Maxtor
VID: ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro
SOU: Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
ATA Ultra100 Controller Card

I think that's all. As i said, all opinions/suggestions are welcome.

thanks for the welcoming and the lin---well the welcoming...i dont see any solved problems in that post, and this is happening with more than ata controller cards....the 250 that was on the slave connector going to my motherboard has also corrupted....

one person however seemed to agree over the power supply issue...i think im gonna put the 550watt supply in here before i do anything else....

suggestions still welcome....

the number on cause of corruption is memory
test your memory ;)

you scrolled down to my posts?

Corruption problems are the hardest to find. You literally have to try just about everything there is to isolate problems. Even if you find one early on it doesn't mean that's the root cause or the only issue there. It's time consuming and a royal pain in the butt. We can, however, document the process like in the above. Start with your CPU/mem and work backwards towards the drives.

how do i go about testing these things? though im sure neither are the problem(s) i might aswell check to make sure....

Use something like Prime95 to test your processor. Then test your memory with Memtest86/86+. If those two don't turn up problems start playing around with md5 checksums and copying files around on your drive to see if they change.

Back