HD5770 Reference Cooling Unit

Nielo TM

Gawd
I'm in the market for a HD5770, but I'm not too keen on the reference cooler. I'm sure over-time, dust particles will gather on the heatsink fins , which may end-up blocking the entrance and reducing the airflow.

My question is, is it possible to remove the plastic cover for maintenance (without removing the entire cooling unit)?

If not, is possible on this card?

There's plenty of room to fit the straw of a compressed air can in that heatsink. It's not even closed off like the 5850/5870 models. It's basically just a roof over the heatsink, the entire bottom, sides, and ends are open.

I was refereeing to the V1 (I guess its shroud-based heatsink:p)

But Sapphire also uses the odd headsink under the same model number 11163-02-20R. More like, V1.5 I guess. From the images, it seems to have better heatsink and bigger fan.

PS: The new Egg (V2) Sapphire cards are currently not sold by Scan.co.uk:mad:

just blow it out with compressed air. even the cheap cards clean easily with a can

The Vapor-x 5770s appear to have an easy to remove shroud covering the heatsink. The shroud on these also does not go the entire length of the PCB and 'contain' the heatsink like the one pictured in the OP. These also run a bit cooler anyway since the vapor-x system does its job decently, but I can tell they'd be easy to clean with compressed air even without removing the shroud should you start a dust collection.

Got the card today, but after re-installing Win7, I can't switch to any resolution prior to the driver installation. It is stuck in 640 x 480.

I though the new cards conform to the WDDM standard?

NM, it doesn't like two displays plugged in at the same time (odd)

Last edited:
I've got the standard Sap card, which resembles the one I've posted initially.

During the normal benchmark sessions, the temp stabilized at ~50C. However, when I ran Fur, the temp shot up to ~85C after 30min or so. Is that normal?

Yes, furmark is the king of pure torture testing. It's been posted here before to not run furmark for extended periods of time as it can be very bad for hardware. Its the only thing out there that can get my HAWK to break 65c overclocked to 1100/[email protected].

Back