HD Video camera to USB Webcam?

Hey everyone,

I just picked up an Insignia NS-DV720P video camera, and so far, I'm impressed with it for the $70 that I paid for it. I recently found an old webcam and tried to use SKYPE with it, but the quality was terrible. I was wondering if anyone knew of a driver that may be available to make my HD cam think its a webcam to be used on Skype.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.Especially if its free. =)

bump.

I found a driver that works for FireWire videocameras, but not USB. Still haven't found what I'm lookin for.

Looks like you've probably seen what I have - DVDriver and/or WebCamDV. Other than those, I haven't found a great solution, and I've never seen a USB one. I assume that is because the USB treats it like an actual webcam, and it just isn't supported in newer programs.

Pretty sure you won't find any USB video cameras like this that export live video via USB, they typically just appear as a mass storage device with files for the videos you save. By contrast, Firewire video cameras almost always appear as DV cameras, which export a live video stream and the software is expected to extract it and save it to a file. Conveniently, this is all standardized and any camera will work with any software, very handy. USB doesn't have a standard for this though, so it'd be something they'd want to sell as a feature since it would cost a lot of development on drivers, software and firmware. Makes more sense for them to just implement the standard USB mass storage class and deal with standard media files.

IOW, unless this functionality comes with the camera, it's not going to do it. Sorry.

Back