HD Dampening/Suspension kits

I was wondering if anyone new of a place that sold HD dampening kits. I've seen several homebrew setups, and I know Dell has some ruber dampeners built into their drive rails, so I'm hoping a kit exists. I figure it would probably fit in a 5-14" bay for a 3-1/2" HD. Anyways, dump a link in here if you've seen one.

if you use that method you might want to make sure air is blowing over the drives (from intake fan or whatever) because the drive is not thermally connected to anything it can get quite hot.

you could also suspend the whole drive cage.

Originally posted by DeFex
if you use that method you might want to make sure air is blowing over the drives (from intake fan or whatever) because the drive is not thermally connected to anything it can get quite hot.

you could also suspend the whole drive cage.

suspending the cage will still cause vibrations because the drive will still be contacting another piece of metal and can buzz....as for the drive not being "thermally connected" to anything is a load of crap...if it is touching another piece of metal or just the sides (and that is being generous) or not won't make much if any difference in the cooling of the drive...that is like saying an aluminimum case cools better than a steel one

the cage is very small compared to the case and it is made quite rigid by the drives attached to it with 4 screws each. it can hardly vibrate much at all.

some server cases and even desktops now employ isolators to attach the drive cage.

last time i checked metal conducted heat better than air. (or miniature bungee cords) may not be very good compared to a proper heatsink, but it is a lot better then nothing.

check the silentpcreview.com forums. Do a search for mcmaster and grommets - should pull up part # for EAR elastomer grommets to mount your drive with.

What if you put a huge heatsink on the suspended hd? (via the second link) You can even make cuts in the heatsink to let the bungees pass through, or you could probably get by with a heatsink that was about 1/2in tall, as long as it covered the entire top of the drive.

/me suddenly find himself with a desire to acquire a load of huge heatsinks. :)

I also wouldnt mind having a Power Supply like the one on the front page yesterday.

Back