Hawken or MWO

Droc

2[H]4U
Looking at trying a mech game.

Hawken looks like great fun. But I know MWO is a popular choice.

Opinions?

They're completely different games.

Hawken is fast-paced, with 'regenerating health' and respawns. It's sort of like a mech version of old twitch shooters.

MWO is much more methodical, all damage is permanent, no respawns and has a heavy emphasis on teamwork.

Hawken = unreal tournament with mechs

MWO = true callback to the mechwarrior series. More simulation and strategy.

I got a full refund on my Founder's account for MWO - the devs are clueless and directionless.

downloaded hawken. Refuses to connect to game. Uninstalled.

Waste of bandwidth.

Go with the first reply.

Also, they're both free to play so why not have both?

Very different games.

Hawken - You are the mech. It is a fast paced shooter like Unreal
MWO - You pilot a mech. It is more simulation style and slower paced.

I got to play Hawken once before it broke itself, I haven't bothered with it since. MWO looks fun on the other hand but I haven't tried it yet. I may return to Hawken again one day but its unlikely.

I played Both the Hawken and Mech Warrior Online Beta.

I would go with Mechwarrior.

Just a heads up, but today MechWarrior is getting a pretty beefy patch that adds a new mech and map to the game.

I haven't played Hawken yet, but MWO is a lot of fun. I was pretty unhappy with things during the closed beta, but have found the dev team seems to have gotten a grip on things, or at least become better at communicating with the community. In anycase, I've been enjoying it quite a lot, although I've taken a break to play Path of Exile.

Hawken looks kind of neat, but it doesn't look nearly as good as MWO imho. MWO has the most satisifying gameplay of any FPS (call it a first person shooter or first person simulator or whatever you want) I've every played. I love the slower, more tactical gameplay with the subsystem damage and all the rest.

Hawken seems to have less of a learning curve. I tried MWO today but couldn't get the hang of it right away. The only other mech game I played in the past was Mechassault on the original Xbox, which was amazing. I believe MWO might be a little more like Mechassault, so I'll have to see if I can get used to the controls. Hawken isn't bad, but as mentioned, it's basically like playing Unreal as a mech.

downloaded hawken. Refuses to connect to game. Uninstalled.

Waste of bandwidth.

Hawken is still in beta, which of course means you are to expect problems and report them to assist in getting them fixed. If you didn't report the issue, then all you did is waste your own time and bandwidth.

MWO is more like piloting a vehicle than playing a shooter.
I'd have to say I prefer Hawken.
They are both solid games in my opinion. It's really up to which game you prefer.

Back