Having problems installing Linux Mint 17.2, any advice welcome

raglafart

Limp Gawd
I committed to make the switch from Microsoft to Linux mint after so many hassles with all the puerile changes in upgrading from Win 7 (which I like) to Win 10 which is just abysmal.

Trouble is it won't boot on my pc and I'm at a loss to see where I've gone wrong.
Here are a couple of screen shots taken on the 2nd & 3rd unsuccessful attempt to load Mint 17.2 to initially a 120 Gig Corsair SSD and then a 1000Gig Seagate mechanical HD

I've successfully burned a DVD from the ISO and it all goes well and then hangs with either one or the other of the two screen shoots I took as below.
Is this possibly a graphic card issue?
The SSD (Samsung 512 gig 840 pro) I had Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 loaded on will not boot now at all and I've tried using the Win 10 repair disc without success though my cloned Win 7 SSD (Samsung 250 gig EVO 840) is working fine so I'm not sure if I have a PC problem or a Linux compatibility issue?
I secure wiped the Corsair Force 120 gig SSD and formatted it prior to tying to load Linux and did the same with the Seagate Mechanical drive and it too would not succussefully boot into Linux :confused:
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks John

My PC spec is pretty much as per my signature.

100_3657_zpsfkxpfzwn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_3658_zps6yqfjxje.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The first is weird but the second is just a terminal. At first I thought you were installing a version without the GUI but I don't believe Mint has one (I am probably wrong).

Is this after an install? Or when trying to boot from the media you created?

It's probably the stock nvidia drivers. Get these and install them
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/92826

The single worst thing about nvidia on linux is that you NEED the proprietary driver pack and you'll need to reinstall every time you update your kernel (as the driver installs itself into the kernel).

From the command line turn off the graphical system by either going to init 3 or just killing X directly then run the driver file.

Edit: to get the driver via CLI type (remove the space after http://)
wget http:// us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/352.55/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.55.run

Last edited:
I've run a GT610 off the xorg-Noveau drivers on fresh install just fine, however my Quadro 4000 wouldn't have a bar of them, although I think the Quadro had an issue.

But I agree, installing the Nvidia drivers should resolve the issue. How is the monitor connected? It isn't using some obscure connection like DP is it? I'm not too sure how the open source drivers would cope with DP?

display port is a non-issue for me on my 260x w/ open drivers. The trouble most likely stems from the poor open kepler support. Your GT610 is a fermi card which is from before nvidia started blocking open source driver development.

The first is weird but the second is just a terminal. At first I thought you were installing a version without the GUI but I don't believe Mint has one (I am probably wrong).

Is this after an install? Or when trying to boot from the media you created?

This is having run the DVD trying to load the operating system on a formatted SSD or mechanical SSD before any drivers have been loaded.

I have pulled the SSD with Win 7 on it and replaced that SSD with a formatted drive to do a clean install of Mint 17.2
I am not loading it within Win 7

It has failed to load on the 3 times I've tried to install it.
It gets to either one page or the other and simply hangs.

I burnt another DVD from the ISO and downloaded the ISO again to see if perhaps it had been corrupted at some stage without success.

I've got Ubuntu loaded on an old HP a6160a quad core and had no hassle loading the OS.

I haven't got to any menus during the install to give any driver selections. The only menu is at a very early stage where you have I think 3 or 4 options
I did try the Mint Compatibility option in this table of options without success.

I pulled the SSD and hooked up the Win 7 SSD and am typing this from that SSD.

Cheers John

display port is a non-issue for me on my 260x w/ open drivers. The trouble most likely stems from the poor open kepler support. Your GT610 is a fermi card which is from before nvidia started blocking open source driver development.

This is a terribly valid point, I think there was something wrong with the card though as I was getting character corruption in the bios and I couldn't get the card running correctly even using the latest Nvidia drivers.

The odd thing is, I tried a quick and dirty Windows 7 install and the card seemed to work just fine? Didn't worry me though as I was planning on upgrading the Windows PC which is where the 670FTW's came from.

This is having run the DVD trying to load the operating system on a formatted SSD or mechanical SSD before any drivers have been loaded.

I have pulled the SSD with Win 7 on it and replaced that SSD with a formatted drive to do a clean install of Mint 17.2
I am not loading it within Win 7

It has failed to load on the 3 times I've tried to install it.
It gets to either one page or the other and simply hangs.

I burnt another DVD from the ISO and downloaded the ISO again to see if perhaps it had been corrupted at some stage without success.

I've got Ubuntu loaded on an old HP a6160a quad core and had no hassle loading the OS.

I haven't got to any menus during the install to give any driver selections. The only menu is at a very early stage where you have I think 3 or 4 options
I did try the Mint Compatibility option in this table of options without success.

I pulled the SSD and hooked up the Win 7 SSD and am typing this from that SSD.

Cheers John

I found this off the official Linux Mint site:

http://linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_cinnamon.php

Notably:

Solving freezes with NVIDIA GeForce GPUs

The open-source drivers present in Linux Mint do not support some of the NVIDIA cards very well. You might experience black screens, freezes or kernel panics.

The best way to solve the issue is to keep trying, until it eventually works. Once the system is installed:

Run the Driver Manager
Choose the NVIDIA drivers and wait for them to be installed
Reboot the computer

With these drivers the system should now be stable.

If you're using an Optimus card, you've nothing more to do. Upon reboot, a systray icon should show up indicating which GPU is currently active. Click on it to switch GPUs.

Note: If no matter how many times you try, you cannot boot or install with the open-source drivers, try one of the following solutions:

At the boot menu of the live DVD/USB, press Tab to edit the boot arguments and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line.
Remove "quiet splash --" from that same line.
Append "nouveau.noaccel=1" at the end of the line.

Failing that, you need to try and install the Nvidia drivers or try a different nvidia card just to get the system up and running and install the Nvidia drivers from the Driver Manager, a cheap GT210 works well.

Last edited:
Intel and AMD graphics have much better support out of the box.

Possibly, but you'd never use the open source nouveau drivers for gaming on any platform.

Honestly, I've only ever used Nvidia on all my Linux PC's due to their superior gaming performance under Linux, and with the exception of this Quadro - Which I swear is faulty, I've never had an issue.

Having said that, I only ever use reference cards.

Just updated to Cinnamon version 2.8.4 - Very nice, seems to perform a little better in terms of desktop animations also.

I don't game much any more so graphical performance is a null issue to me. The user experience outside of gaming is great on intel/amd, less so on the nvidia side.

I don't game much any more so graphical performance is a null issue to me. The user experience outside of gaming is great on intel/amd, less so on the nvidia side.

Really?

I've never had an issue with Nvidia outside of gaming, in fact I find their drivers and associated X Server settings software to be fantastic. Outside of Nvidia, the only other GPU's I've used are the Intel IGP's - Which worked beautifully but lacked power where gaming was concerned.

What sorts of issues have you had on Nvidia hardware under Linux? Feel free to reply via PM if this thread is going off topic, I just find this discussion terribly interesting.

Really?

I've never had an issue with Nvidia outside of gaming, in fact I find their drivers and associated X Server settings software to be fantastic. Outside of Nvidia, the only other GPU's I've used are the Intel IGP's - Which worked beautifully but lacked power where gaming was concerned.

What sorts of issues have you had on Nvidia hardware under Linux? Feel free to reply via PM if this thread is going off topic, I just find this discussion terribly interesting.

I think he refers to the open source drivers. It's no coincidence that Linus Torvalds gave Nvidia the finger on the front page of a magazine lol.

Ironically Nvidias closed source drivers are widely considered to be the best linux has while the open source development has been blocked by Nvidia not releasing enough data.

I think he refers to the open source drivers. It's no coincidence that Linus Torvalds gave Nvidia the finger on the front page of a magazine lol.

Ironically Nvidias closed source drivers are widely considered to be the best linux has while the open source development has been blocked by Nvidia not releasing enough data.

I see. Yes, I'm aware of the saddening issues surrounding Nvidia and open source. I have to say though, their closed source drivers are fantastic and are really one of the main contributors pushing Linux as a gaming platform forward - Which interests me as gaming is really the only reason I still have a Windows PC.

I had trouble in Mint 15 with an AMD card that was not HDCP compliant, slapped an Nvidia 8800GTX in and it worked great.

Try typing startx and see what it does for fun.

I never liked Mint anyway, always gave me trouble when I tried it. I'm surprised of its popularity actually.

I see. Yes, I'm aware of the saddening issues surrounding Nvidia and open source. I have to say though, their closed source drivers are fantastic and are really one of the main contributors pushing Linux as a gaming platform forward - Which interests me as gaming is really the only reason I still have a Windows PC.

I am referring to the open drivers; the state of which prevent me from using nvidia at all. Nvidia used to be hands down the best on linux, but as of late they've been very anti-open source which I can't support.

I never liked Mint anyway, always gave me trouble when I tried it. I'm surprised of its popularity actually.

Really? Mint has been rock solid for me on a number of systems, Ubuntu was the operating system that gave me a few problems (nothing really major, just a few niggly issues). What distro do you run B00nie?

Really? Mint has been rock solid for me on a number of systems, Ubuntu was the operating system that gave me a few problems (nothing really major, just a few niggly issues). What distro do you run B00nie?

I run several depending on use. At the moment I'm mostly using Debian/ Ubuntu server / and desktops Ubuntu Mate. There was a period when I was on Fedora, Sabayon, Elementary, Manjaro etc.

For USB sticks I use simplicity.

For some reason I've been very unlucky with Mint, each time I tried it I managed to lock up or corrupt my OS in two days. Granted that happened years back when I was still more new with linux than now.

Back