Have ps2, seriously thinking of switching to XBOX

hefley

Gawd
My ps2 has been giving my problems lately. It is working fine now, but I'm thinking of selling it, and all my games on ebay and getting an xbox. The more i read about how much better the games play, how much better they look, the more i'm really considering it. I play GTA3, GTA vice city, red faction, and tons of other games. Give me some opinions on the situation please...

Up to you. I prefer PS2 and I will get xbox when its gonna be cheaper. But I would rather take PS2 than xbox.

You'll lose access to a ton of games, but you're right, games on XBox look a whole lot better. If you have an HDTV the difference will be night and day.
If you have a 13" TV, then not so much.

well, if you have broadband you should definitely go for an xbox because of its awesome online play, but if not, you could always stick with ps2... i think ps2 and xbox are both pretty similar except i like xbox more because it is more multiplayer oriented (4 controller ports, live, lots of system link and online games)... and most of the games that come out for ps2 come out on xbox also... its up to you

-warsaw

Xbox graphics are awesome, and it's really easy to mod. Mine doubles as a media center and SNES :)

What problems are you having with your playstation2? Your going to sell that. I hope I don't buy it.

As for your ps2 against xbox. PS2 owns xbox unless you get a mod chip for your xbox. Xbox has some crappy games but they also have a few good titles. PS2 has much more quality games. Yes graphic wise xbox owns but ps2 isn't so bad either. It really depends if the game was optimized for which ever system.

A mod chip installation will cost you somewhere around $70 + another $90 for upgraded hard drive.

I had a xbox first and then ps2. I swapped for xbox again and now waiting for my mod chip to get here. I'm going to much more fun with the mod chip.

Originally posted by Marvelous
A mod chip installation will cost you somewhere around $70.

eh? You mean you can't even install your own modchip? It's well worth doing it yourself unless your making 60 or 70 dollars an hour at your job in which case you'd actually lose money puttin it in :p

$40 mod chip took me 1/2 hour to put in

There only a few titles that i would like to have on the Xbox. Games selection doesnt bother me as much. I can live without a few titles, it not really a problem for me. Besides we all own PC as well.

So if given the choice again to either pick an Xbox or PS2 i would definitely choose the xbox mainly graphic wise. But in your case, you currently own a PS2, it would probably be better to save the hassle and stick with your currently system until the next generation of console comes out. I'm sure you have a friend that own a xbox.

eh? You mean you can't even install your own modchip? It's well worth doing it yourself unless your making 60 or 70 dollars an hour at your job in which case you'd actually lose money puttin it in

$40 mod chip took me 1/2 hour to put in

Well I'm scared I might fry my xbox. ;P

I got somebody in my neighborhood who is going to do it for me including hard drive installation and software. It just saves me the hasslesucks.

LOL, wow it amazes me how little everyone seems to know about Gaming...

Well, first things first, be fair, and if you decide to buy an XBOX, sell only your PS2 Games, nobody wants to be sold a Bad Playstation 2, and you yourself claimed that it was giving you trouble.

It's funny how many posts I see referring to the graphical capabilities of the XBOX as compared to the Playstation 2. No one seems to care about Gameplay, you guys are listing Specs and Features (Mod Chips, Broadband, etc)...You can Mod a PS2 just as well...Oh but wait, you can't Pirate games like you can on an XBOX, so I guess that's important to some of you idiots...

Anywho, lets talk for a second about game selection and the value of your money. Each of the consoles have thier ups and downs and it really comes down to YOUR preference, you haven't told us what type of games you play commonly, if you want online play, how much you have to spend, etc...It's hard to give a good gauge of what would fit your needs if you don't provide that information...

So, what type of games do you play the most, what type of Online play are you looking at?

Originally posted by RQLe

So if given the choice again to either pick an Xbox or PS2 i would definitely choose the xbox mainly graphic wise.

Ah, here we have it, the problem with the gaming industry...Folks like this ^^^

Eh, some people like having better graphics- simple as that.

But IMO, if you're going for graphics your ultimate choice should be a custom-built PC with a Radeon card and at least a 2ghz processor..

End of story. Forget this console nonsense.

Yes exactly, some people are fools, nuff said...LOL, if graphics are your Fortay, please learn to use 3D Max and stop corrupting my industry. Gaming is still in it's infancy, but already these bad habits are forming, luckily with Peer-To-Peer and such things, folks in a basement with real ideas and talent can start creating games, and bring some sanity to the industry before it gets out of hand...

Just like Indie Films...

Originally posted by warsawtag
well, if you have broadband you should definitely go for an xbox because of its awesome online play, but if not, you could always stick with ps2

-warsaw

True, but the only thing i hate about playing Xbox online is that you have to pay, other wise you can only play HALO trhough gamespy for free without having to pay for xbox live, at least thats the only game i know of that you can play for free, but unlike PS2, there are broadband adapters for it and ALL GAMEPLAY IS FREE!!!!!!!! of charge that is and free of MICROCRAP!!!!!! (microsoft i mean)

free online play is the only real advantage i see of owning a PS2.

Originally posted by XxMe_LoCoxX
True, but the only thing i hate about playing Xbox online is that you have to pay, other wise you can only play HALO trhough gamespy for free without having to pay for xbox live, at least thats the only game i know of that you can play for free, but unlike PS2, there are broadband adapters for it and ALL GAMEPLAY IS FREE!!!!!!!! of charge that is and free of MICROCRAP!!!!!! (microsoft i mean)

free online play is the only real advantage i see of owning a PS2.
So you're saying you get the broadband adapter for fee? And what about a voice communicator, do you get the free too? Please learn the facts before making such pointless posts.

Yes, good catch my man, that's what I was going to say, the cost of the adapter and communicator equal out to the cost of Live, and another thing is, it's up to the companies to provide servers which could be trouble, not to mention that, certain PS2 games will start charging for you to play individual games, much like how MMORPG's work...

Nice huh?

Originally posted by DubOSv10
Ah, here we have it, the problem with the gaming industry...Folks like this ^^^

If you learn how to read the industry would be better off. I said i didnt mind a few titles not being on the xbox cause some people dont buy every damn titles that is release. Xbox have more than enough selection for me.

Graphics wise is a big deal to me and flanky it is to a lot of gamers. We buy HIGH END video cards for a reason.

Your point of arguement is vague at best, actually it not even a point. People like you are the one that will argue Half Life 2 is FINED on a geforce2 MX, since it said it will run, flankly many of us would rather run it on something with much better graphics.

I have nothing against the PS2 and said he should keep it instead since he already have it. I dont know why these PS2 fans thinks PS2 is their god or something. Anything said against the PS2 is quoted as retarted. People VALUE DIFFERENT reason to buy other products.

Originally posted by Defc0n 6
So you're saying you get the broadband adapter for fee? And what about a voice communicator, do you get the free too? Please learn the facts before making such pointleswhat i ment when i said that there are broad band addapters for it, was that OVIOUSLY you have to purchase iti never said it came with it, all i said gameplay was free. the adapter is a one time fee, but there are games for xbox that require a extra monthly subscription like phantasy star online.

Actually, I'm not a PS2 fan...

"wise is a big deal to me and flanky it is to a lot of gamers."

LOL, Gamers, please don't call yourself that, you are making me sick...

I actually own a High-End Graphics card, it enhances the experiences, of course, but a game still needs to be creative and have superior Gameplay...When you can understand that concept, and not make comments like "I'd buy an XBOX off of graphics alone", then you might be able to come back and talk to me sensibly about gaming (prolly not)...

LOL, and I would never say Half-Life 2 runs fine on a GeForce 2, but I will say this, I refuse to REVIEW Doom III, simply because of comments that John Carmack made about the AI and how he is focused on graphics...

You see, the industry is being run by graphicly hounded fools, it's people like you who I see in EB and want to hit because you have no concept of what builds a good game, no concept of the business of the industry, the pure ideas and how geniouses like Kojima and Miyamoto form an idea, nurish it, create it and execute it not caring 1 bit about what dome "graphics fan" has to say...

When you pick up games like "Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe, Ikuraga, Ico, etc etc" Then please, chat with me...You're really out of your league, lets leave it at that...

"I have nothing against the PS2 and said he should keep it instead since he already have it. I dont know why these PS2 fans thinks PS2 is their god or something. Anything said against the PS2 is quoted as retarted. People VALUE DIFFERENT reason to buy other products."

LOL, I don't count anything said against the PS2 as retarded, I count idiotic statements as just that, idiotic...I'm not defending any system, I'm defending an industry that I love...I have respect for Music/Gaming/Movies more than anything, I'm extreme when it comes to those genres, and I will defend them and thier inhabitants against anyONE anyWHERE at anyTIME. You cannot show the level of respect or dedication I have toward them, so please don't try and attack my comments...

Originally posted by XxMe_LoCoxX
[Bi ment when i said that there are broad band addapters for it, was that OVIOUSLY you have to purchase iti never said it came with it, all i said gameplay was free. the adapter is a one time fee, but there are games for xbox that require a extra monthly subscription like phantasy star online. [/B]
And there are also games on PS2 that require a extra monthly like Everquest.

i have ps2 and i think it is better than xbox for the simple fact that it is easier to use the controllers and they both have almost the same games, so it would be pointless. If you were to switch to anything switch to game cube, because it has different games!!!!

If I could afford it, I'd have all next gen consoles...but I put my faith in Microsoft. For about a year I was thinking I made a huge mistake putting down 300(in some ways I did since they had a 100buck price reduction about 5months after I bought mine), but after 2 years with this console, I'm very happy with my decision.

Since I got broadband, I have been playing xbl damn near every day. Rainbow Six 3, while on pc already and soon to be on ps2, it is still a great game with Ubisoft hosting with many servers. Playing Links online is awesome...talking smack is great...it's a great online. Not to say ps2 isn't, I'm just stating it isn't a failure online.

Some games that you should look forward to if you do plan on purchasing an Xbox. Fable, Halo2, and Ninja Gaiden. Games to also keep an eye out for, pending some reviews or rentals are Rallisport Challenge 2 and also BC.

I'd say, though, if you can afford to buy an Xbox without selling your PS2 and games to get it, do that. I'd say both consoles are great. If I had the time and the money, I'd be all over all 3 consoles with as many games I could get my hands on. It is all about gaming afterall. Right?

Either way, you will end up with a nice console, whether you sell the ps2 to get the xbox or just drop the whole idea of getting an xbox. It's all good.

Yeah, i probably went off on a limb. My point being is a my PC and a few consoles game i have on my xbox is more then enough choices of games right now for me. I recommended PS2 and the cube to many of my friends. Xbox just fits my needs.

Well,

I don't own a console but if I did I would probably get an Xbox for the following reasons:

-Internal HDD (Upgradable)
-MediaPlayer Mod for a full home entertainment system for all my mpegs and divx.
-Xbox Live is sweet
-Graphics are sweet
-Games are for the most part identical to other systems (at least for games I care about)

PS2 graphics just look horrible to me. The dreamcast was better IMO and it does matter

while its true that the xbox does have better graphics than the ps2, my computer trounces both...lots of xbox greats (halo, max payne, hitman 2, ghost recon, rainbow 6) are all better on my computer than xbox, and the multiplayer options for my pc are also leaps and bounds above the xbox, although live is taking consoles to new heights

i have a ps2 and a gamecube...this is because they both get console specific games that are great, that are not available on my pc...games like gran turismo, all rockstar games, tenchu, formerly the gta games, and the dynasty warriors series keep me on the ps2, and the xbox does have its share of flaws

1. its gigantic...hardrive or not its a 1981 vcr
2. dinner plate controller...big, clunky, after 2 years of play at a friends house i still cant get it quite right, and no i dont want to hafta drop another $30 for the type-s little controller...a console should have good controllers in the first place
3. lack of good titles (that arent twice as good on my pc)

so to finally make my point...get xbox if u have a nice tv and broadband...if online console games are your bag, then xbox is for you...if u want just in home single (or few player) games ps2 is an easier choice...ps2 has the bigger, better library of games, and its online play isnt bad, just not as good as xbox live

imho ps2 is better (for my purposes)

Well my ps2 quit reading cds, dvds, and games for awhile but I had it fixed. The warentee void sticker is off, and its 3 years old anyway. I was going to sell it, and about 5 games on ebay (letting them know about warantee and the problem i had), 2 controllers, cables and a memory card. I figured i could get about 150 bucks or more out of it. I like the ps2, but i think i am going to switch. Games i play like GTA3 and vice city are on xbox. Also red faction and max payne is too. I also dont want to put the money in for a vid card for my comp, because i really dont like sitting in front of the computer playing games, sometimes i find it uncomfortable, i love consoles. I'll let you guys know what i decide...

Originally posted by {EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

2. dinner plate controller...big, clunky, after 2 years of play at a friends house i still cant get it quite right, and no i dont want to hafta drop another $30 for the type-s little controller...a console should have good controllers in the first place
You do know it has been shipping with the S-controller for a while now right?

"1. its gigantic...hardrive or not its a 1981 vcr
3. lack of good titles (that arent twice as good on my pc)"

1: It's not Gigantic, it's about the size of a decent DVD Player, you're getting the most bang in hardware terms, built in 10/100, 5.1 Surround, Component, etc, plus the hard drive, what did you expect it to be?

2: It's called the S-Controller, which happens to be quite comfortable and serve it's purpose well, the controller was questionable but MS quickly remedied that...

3: Lack of good titles huh? LOL, KOTOR and Halo play better on the XBOX, but then you gotta look at games such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalykrie, SPLINTER CELL, PROJECT GOTHAM 2, Prine of Persia, Deathrow, and Top Spin, not to mention the list of upcoming games such as Halo 2, Fable, KOTOR 2, Pandora Tomorrow, etc...I could go on and on, put I've already proven you wrong, so I'll spare you...

"I don't own a console but if I did I would probably get an Xbox for the following reasons:"

But wait, this same guy has the nerve to say...

"PS2 graphics just look horrible to me. The dreamcast was better IMO and it does matter"

Either you own a console and have a valid opinion, or you don't...You can't NOT own a console and HAVE a valid opinion...

I'm personally an xbox/pc man. The only thing that ps2 can offer to me that I can't get at the moment is "Manhunt". However my friend let me borrow his ps2 and the game until I beat it, so I'm happy.

I modded my xbox, only put a modchip in it, since I I want to still be able to play on xbox live. I have lan parties as often as I can and the newest thing is to have an xbox party for guests who don't have a PC.

The xbox graphics do matter to me (while they don't make a game, it's still nice). I have a 65" hd and I want things to look good on it.

Some people enjoy some of the ps2 only titles, but between my pc and xbox there's only 1 game I'm interested in that I couldn't get....

The original poster simply needs to assess the games available for PS2 and XBOX, and and decide what all he'll be using his XBOX for. It's just a matter of opinion.

the size of the console has nothing to do with the way it performs, or even how it looks really...

I have all 3 systems. To say one is better than the other is somewhat silly as they all 3 suck in terms of games. I got like 5 games for each system because good games are rare anymore....ah the old days. As for appearance I think all 3 are rather ugly. Computer gaming.....hate not using a controller.....some cool games though.

Back