Has anyone here actually gotten 2 ati cards to fold in the same comp?

watertown28

2[H]4U
Im sitting here trying to get my 4870's to fold, and have burned badly at it. Ive followed the guide to set up the dual GPU folding and I have yet been able to get one WU out without the stupid early end "unstable machine" error.

Ive tried 8.12 drivers, 9.1 and finally the 9.3 all 3 fail.

Nothing is OCed in the comp. In fact i UNDERCLOCKED my video cards to 700 mhz each. still errors.

the GPUs dont hit above 60C.

happens on both GPUS randomly

I have a Corsair 850 watt PSU and I would think that should be more than enough to power the comp.

Ive also changed the compatibility mode for the shorcuts to xp.

Im running vista 64 bit

So I am open to help here. The group I belong to ( we wont say who, but a simple search for my user name will show it... dont worry not much comp for you guys ) are fresh out of ideas, so trying to see with a bigger group can help me trouble shoot this problem.

1) Are you using the systray or console client?

2) Do you have the right flags set to use both cards.. i.e. -gpu 0 and -gpu 1

3) Can you fold on each GPU separately, one at a time, without problems?

[H]ugh_Freak;1033928230 said:
1) Are you using the systray or console client?

2) Do you have the right flags set to use both cards.. i.e. -gpu 0 and -gpu 1

3) Can you fold on each GPU separately, one at a time, without problems?

Its the sys tray for that is the only one for the ATI cards.

As for the each card... I cant from the shortcuts. When I install it just like it would with one card it runs fine.

Its not the cards. I had em each folding in sprate comps at one time to hold me off while I was waiting for another GPU to get here and they both folded fine... but for some reason making shortcuts seems to screw it up badly.

Its the sys tray for that is the only one for the ATI cards.

As for the each card... I cant from the shortcuts. When I install it just like it would with one card it runs fine.

Its not the cards. I had em each folding in sprate comps at one time to hold me off while I was waiting for another GPU to get here and they both folded fine... but for some reason making shortcuts seems to screw it up badly.

Ok.. so starting them by shortcut is the problem it seems.. make sure

The Target listed in the Shortcut Properties is
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\[email protected]" -gpu 0
For the 1st GPU - replace Programs Files (x86)\Folding@home-gpu with wherever you installed it

And..
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu 2\[email protected]" -gpu 1
For the 2nd GPU - replace Programs Files (x86)\Folding@home-gpu 2 with wherever you installed it

The Start in field should be something like..
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu
For the 1st client

And
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu 2
For the 2nd client

And turn off Compatibilty for XP

Last edited:
Yep targets looked exactly as that. I didnt know about turning OFF the XP thing though I thought I had to turn it on.

Anyways a bit too late... I went with XP again and sure enough... not one error so far running the 9.1 vs of the drivers... I just gotten so used to vista that this XP looks lame now heh

Back