Hardware temperature monitoring

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I am starting a cooling hardware review site and I have been trying to sort out temperature monitoring. I want to be able to record reliable temperatures for various pieces of hardware: CPU, northbridge, memory, etc. For CPU temperature monitoring I would love to have something like what [H] uses, but that's pretty much out of the equation since I am not established yet but it is something I want to get a hold of as soon as I can.

I know I am going to have to use some flat thermistors to monitor temperatures for memory (Can't really drill a hole and stick a probe in these parts). Where can I find some good thermistors for this and what is best to monitor the temperatures given by these probes?

What about northbridges instead? Is a software solution best for this component? After all, using a thermistor won't allow the cooling product being tested to have full and even contact with the northbridge.

I am also a little bit stuck on what to do with CPU temperature monitoring. I would much rather go hardware, but if I can't really use a thermistor for the same reason as mentioned above. Am I just unreasonably resistant to using software? Like I said earlier, I would love to have a setup like [H] with a probe integrated with the IHS on all the processors I plan on running tests with but I just don't foresee that kind of hardware being available to me anytime soon. What do you guys recommend?

HWMonitor and CoreTemp are the best out there. I'm not familiar with anything else.

Well, if I end up having to use software to monitor temperatures I plan on using RealTemp and CoreTemp to monitor CPU temperatures (RealTemp for Intel and CoreTemp for AMD) and maybe Everest for northbridge. I am looking for alternatives to software monitoring for CPUs and northbridges though.

I am looking for alternatives to software monitoring for CPUs and northbridges though.

You won't find anything better for cpu monitoring then those programs... I don't know of anything that will monitor nb though. I'd like to know a program that has that ability as well.

CoreTemp and RealTemp are the best for cpu monitoring. Everest can support NB monitoring if your motherboard has a sensor on or near its NB, but whether it's there or reliable is wholly dependent on the motherboard in question.

I know reference nVidia 680/780/790 have a NB temp sensor, but some non-reference designs, such as the MSI P6/P7N, don't. My current motherboard, an ASUS P5Q-Deluxe, has a motherboard sensor that Everest detects, but I don't know if it's reading from or near the NB.

Back