Hard News Regarding DIY Laptops.

Zoson

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had an Asus M3N for over a year now. I purchased the barebones notebook from newegg in August of last year, along with all of the parts. They were NOT hard to get at the time. But newegg stopped carrying the base unit immidiately after I purchased it.
Over all, building this unit is far more simple than putting a desktop together, as it only requires a small screwdriver and about 15 minutes of your time to put the processor, memory, and PCI-M wireless module into their appropriate sockets.

I'm sorry, but nothing legit hardware did was 'ground breaking.' :rolleyes:

I would HIGHLY reccomend either the M6 unit, or the new M5 unit (superslim) to ANYONE who is considering buying a laptop and has had any experience putting a desktop together. To this day my M3N has NEVER frozen, bluescreened, or had any problems related to hardware OR software. Driver updates are frequent and READILY available from intel for all of the components.
-Zoson

I ditto the mans post to the "t". My M3NP rocks and went togethor in under 20 min. The charge lasts about 4 1/2 hours with SpeedswitchXP on max battery. Asus makes sonys laptops as well as some other big players. They are the 3rd largest laptop manutacture in the world.

HI,

where did you buy the cdrom drive for the M3np from??....I did the same mistake you did and now I am suffering the consequences. I bought an OEM drive and it won't fit.

NOw, I am in search of the asus combo drive. let me know if I can get the spacer alone.

Thanks

KT

You really should be able to get the M3N specific drives seperately, you just need to find a company that knows what they're talking about. ACR in Canada got one for me, surely there will be an Asus distributor close to you who could as well.

I'd echo the good stuff about building from an Asus whitebox. My M3n took all of 25min to put togather, no dead pixels, 5 hours of battery life and easily $400 cheaper than what I would have paid to have somebody else do it.

guys any suggesgestion on how to put together a laptop. Im interested in this. I am just finidng posts about this, and did know it was possible. Will it be much cheaper to do this? Just like it is desktops as opposed to buying an ibm or something for $1300?

step1 go to:

"leadcomp.com" or similar site that sells barebone laptops..

step2: on the left hand side of the mainpage "leadcomp.com"

under the "Products By Categories" section click on the first blue
link which should be Notebooks!!

This should bring you to a new page on Leadcomp.com/Notebooks section

In this section you can choose from "Six" different setups
by AMD or Intel processors, plus accessories.. Choose, ex AMD64 laptop would be top line middle, click on blue link..

Now you will be at the desired laptops, in this case AMD64..

On each laptop youll get the processor, laptop model # screen size,
and features and options specs.. They will also have a picture, under
that will be a starting price.. Now if are interested in that laptop
clickon the blue link under the price that says "Configure and Buy"

Step3:

That is were you can make this laptop as barebone as possible..

Buy it as is empty shell, or customize it then buy it...

case
power supply/battery
display
video
motherboard
HS/F
17" LCD
Gb LAN
"3-in-1" card reader (SD, MMC, XD (?))
KB
touchpad

i currently resell Spartan notebooks which are made up of Quanta, Asus, Clevo, et al. barebones systems and put together quite nicely. If interested, i could provide the loadout options and pricing. feel free to email me offline....

there's warranty service (1 or 3 year) and frankly the guys there are wicked cool to deal with.

look for a review over at techwarelabs.com in the coming weeks.

cheers,

dave

Back