hard drive

Low level format - writes all zeros to the drive. Usually you can download a utility from the HDD manufacturer which includes this option.

i downloaded a program to do that and it still didnt clear it. that program worked on one drive but not the other

Originally posted by racedude485
i downloaded a program to do that and it still didnt clear it. that program worked on one drive but not the other

I'd suggest doing it again, and taking your time to do it right. If you low level format a drive, it will not be readable anymore...atleast not very easily.

Do you want to destroy data? Or clear the drive? Make sure the utility you are using to zero the drive is distributed by the maker of your HDD. If you're looking to destroy data, look into 'data shredders'...

if you just want to erase data from a drive, i dont think you have to do a u.s. goverment quality clean where they write all zeros, then all 1's, then all zeros again before they scrap a drive.

correct me if i'm wrong, but if you put in a win98, 2k, or xp install disk and just format the drive, it WILL write zeros to every sector, but it will install a blank fat32 or ntfs directory structure / file table. so while it wont be exactly like a brand new drive all zeros from the factory, if you're just concerned with getting rid of what you have so you can sell a drive, i think that would be acceptable and is easy to do.

Back