hard drive test program

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
What free hard drive test program do you suggest using? I want to run a test on my hard drive and see if its still in good shape so I can either replace it or use it in a different build. Thanks guys

All major manufacturers have their own free hard disk test and diagnostics software. Just have a look at the support section of you hard drive's manufacturer.

All major manufacturers have their own free hard disk test and diagnostics software. Just have a look at the support section of you hard drive's manufacturer.

This - or Crystal DiskInfo just for checking out Smart Values and stuff like that.

On linux I do a 4 pass badblocks read / write test then look at the SMART. On windows you could do a full format and then look at the SMART. Remember in this SMART table the drive does report if it is operating abnormally. It reports every sector it remaps, every sector that it forgets, bad cabling issues ... I am not very big on manufacturer utilities since at work (where I now RMA 20 bad drives a year) I have seen in the past very bad drives from WDC and Seagate pass the manufacturer tests.

Back