Hard Drive Question - Uninstalled program still taking up space

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hello,

Got a question. On my Maxtor 40GB. When I install a program, a game or something, then decide to uninstall the software, I go about uninstalling the software from Add/Remove Programs, the Software is still taking up space in my Hard Drive.

I can see it because I tested with my 40GB as my Slave Drive and just did a reformat and repartition, so the drive is empty. Disk space is at 39GB. When I install the software, Disk Space goes down to 37GB. When I uninstall, Disk Space still stay at 37GB. I check Disk Defrag and am still able to view the chunk of the software. I tried doing disk cleanup and no luck, still the same. I have no other folders in my Hard Drive, so I am pretty much at lost.

Anyone experienced this problem? Know a way to fix it? If I am not being clear, please let me know, I am just frustrated right now.

Thanks.
Alex

Just because you uninstall something doesn't mean it's gone. Uninstallation is something that each app has to code for itself and most don't do right. You're supposed to completely wipe the reigstry of all entries for your app an delete all files and folders. Most only delete some registry entries and nearly all leave at least a few MB of folders and files behind (most justify this by saying they'll leave config files and installation history in case you want to install it again). If you really want them gone you have to manually delete the folders afterwords.

Hello,

I know that by uninstalling a software does not mean that it is fully gone.

The problem is this, the registry is located on my C: Drive, the game was installed on my F: Drive. Right now, there is NO folders on my F: Drive, I deleted EVERYTHING. But when I check the amount of disk space, it still has 2GB taken off from the previous software that was installed. So where exactly is the location of the folder I need to delete. Even if I was to delete the registry, we are talking about 2GB here.

Do you have Norton SystemWorks installed? If you do, the files you deleted are probably protected by the Norton Recycle Bin. To delete them, just right click on the Recycle Bin and select "Empty Norton Protected Files". Answer in the affirmative when the dialog box pops up, and you should get your drive space back.

Originally posted by John-St
Do you have Norton SystemWorks installed? If you do, the files you deleted are probably protected by the Norton Recycle Bin. To delete them, just right click on the Recycle Bin and select "Empty Norton Protected Files". Answer in the affirmative when the dialog box pops up, and you should get your drive space back.

Don't have Systemworks but do have Antivirus. But you know what, you are da man! I turned this ghetto function off, but I guess when I added the Hard Drive, it activated the function for that Hard Drive. I purged everything and I claimed my drive space back. Thank you!

O yeah, another thing on why I totally forgot is because I do not have anything on my Desktop, also, I bypass deleting files to my Recyling Bin. If you had not mentioned this, I would not have thought about it, hehe. Thanks.

Back