Hard Drive Problems

NooNe

Limp Gawd
My mom owns one of those IBM Netvista desktops, its about 3 years old, 1ghz, 256ram, 20gb HD, onboard sis vid and audio, etc. The other day i restarted the computer and it wouldnt boot up and gave me an error. Then when i tried to reinstall windows it said the HD wasnt connected. So i looked at the HD and it wouldnt even spin when receiving power.

Yesterday i went to bestbuy and bought a 40gig Western Digital. Now i'm having problems installing that. I'm thinking its a problem with the jumper configuration i have or my bios version or settings. ATM i dont have a jumper present making it default to the Single configuration. When i try to install windows 2000 it hangs or freezes right before it gets to the license agreement. I read the quick install sheet saying some older comps have difficulty detecting larger HD's and gave me alternate jumper settings. So i set the jumpers to the single alternate jumper setting and was able to install windows 2000. Only problem is it says my HD space is only 32gbs. I'm thinking thats weird because when i was messing with the jumper settings before and had it set to master it showed 40gb's. I install anyway and it installs but hangs and is really slow and then when i upgraded to SP4 it crashed. So i try to upgrade my bios to get past the 32gb barrier but when i restart with the floppy containing the flash bios it doesnt boot the floppy it just hangs. I also got the bios version i have and its a version that has already corrected the 32gb barrier problem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix these problems i'm having? I was up till 3a.m lastnight and have been working on it all day today. Right now i have the jumper set to single and it wont get to the license agreement on windows 2000 install. I was able to see all 40gb's with the jumper set to master but when i installed win2000 it froze once i rebooted giving me an error. I was also only able to get into my bios if i disconnected the HD. Thanks

i'd say that the 32gb problem is jumper related.. there is a different setting for <32gb and > 32gb.

Back