Hard drive permission (???) problem

CrimsonKain

Weaksauce
This problem is just so weird I don't even know where to begin searching online for it so before I format I wanna know if you guys can help me.

I just formatted my system drive and now everything on my secondary drive is unusable. The exact error message is: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. "This happens when I open an executable (and no, other files don't work either). I can't copy anything from the drive but I can put new files on to the drive and they work just fine.

Just in case: I am running XP Pro with all the latest critical updates along with an up to date virus scanner. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

disable simple file sharing
and
take ownership of files and folders

use those as search queries ;) might add the OS to those XP or Windows 2000
and perform in that order

Welcome to the Forums :D

just incase you do not know how to disable "simple file sharing"

click "My Computer" -> "Tools" -> "Folder Options" -> "view" -> (scroll down and untick) "Use simple file sharing"

After that's done, right click the folder/file or drive you need to access.
-> "Properties" -> "Security" -> "Advanced" -> "Owner"

You should be able to figure it out from there on. :)

thanx enyceexdanny
that was my last post before goin to sleep
which is why I didnt link anything

Thanks guys...after a lot of fiddling I got it. Phew that was rough. Now the bigger question is why? It seemed like some other account had control over all these objects (perhaps my old account on the last format). But what confuses me is that this has never happened before under the same circumstances. Very weird.

Well thank you again. Saved me a lot of work.

Standard NTFS security

Inside W2K NTFS Part 1
Inside W2K NTFS Part 2
Exploring NTFS On-Disk Structures
Inside Encrypting File System Part 1
Inside Encrypting File System Part 2

you should have had to deal with this before
where you using NTFS?

be advised that if you had used EFS (Encrypted Files System)
and failed to save the certificates for those, you would pretty much been screwed
(recovery is possible, but we cant talk about that level of recovery here,
as that is effectively hacking\cracking and it isnt easy)

Back