hard drive/ide controlle problem

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
is it possible to mess up ur hard drive or ide controller while oc'ing?

a few months back when i bout some new ram i was trying to oc it, but went to far (it posted but windows wouldnt boot). i fixed the problem, but ever since then windows has been taking like 3x longer to boot. i reformatted thinking maybe windows got corrupted, but that didnt fix it. is there a way to diagnose my ide controller state or my hdd condition to see if theres any problems with it?

thanks

Yes, OCing can cause numerous problems. Have you tried clearing your CMOS? You said you re-installed Windows which should have fixed any Registry Errors as far as I know. If clearing CMOS doesn't resolve this, you may want to re-flash your BIOS. Are you sure you have all your IDE jumpers in the right position? Running SiSoft Sandra System Analyser may help you locate potential problems. Also try decreasing your OC to see if that helps. What settings, dividers, voltages, timings are you running, more info would be good.

Regards, Szandor

you must always ALWAYS set your PCI/AGP speeds to 33/66 - otherwise you KILL your hard drive(s) and have a large chance of killing your videocard too.

you may have to reinstall your OS, for starters...

it seems my 2nd hdd is the problem. i started my pc with only my primary drive, and it booted in under 30s. i installed the 2nd drive in, and again it took considerably longer for xp to boot. i did this about 4 times to verify and whenever my 2nd drive is in, windows takes a long time to boot. i ran scandisk, did a virus check, and defragmented, but no luck in fixing my problem. i dont want to reformat, but it might come to that. anyone has any other suggestions plz post. thanks

Back