hard drive go bye bye?

GlobalFear

2[H]4U
Well, today I got up to a nice little error screen. :( "Disk read error"
The odd thing was that the Bios detects the drive but it can't boot from it. :(
So, after I played around in the bios, checked all of the cables and the jumper settings I downloaded and ran the data lifegaurd tools.

The drive came back with a nice smart error and WDs website saying:

SMART Error - Self Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) Error returned during SMART Status/Self Test Command. The drive is defective. Replace. - Replace Drive

Is the drive really dead? The good thing is the drive is still under warranty. But, is there
any way to recover the data? I have a shit load of ISOs that I really want. :(

System specs:

DFI Lanparty UT Ultra - D
Enermax Noisetaker 485w
AMD A64 3200+ Winchester
1GB of Corsair XMS LL pc3200
BBA x800xl PCIE
WD Caviar SE 160GB 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive :(
Liteon 16x DVD-ROM
Liteon 8x DVD+-RW
DLink 10/100 PCI Network Card

If WD comes out and says that it should be replaced, that should tell you something. The maker is coming out and saying that they should have a total loss on the drive because they have to replace it at no cost to you other than shipping the defective one to Irvine CA. You can get Advanced Replacement from WD, allowing you to use both drives for a few days, and try and copy the old one to the new one.

You can also try and put it in another system and attempt to read as much off of it as you can, but takes this as a lesson in the value of backups.

Well I tried the drive out in another rig and was able to get one of the three partitions back. Other two come up as unformated.

This is typical of Caviars. You're due for a new one I'm afraid. They just love corrupting the data so badly that you can't even low level format the drive. That is the number one reason I hate them so much. The second is their love of going "click click click".

I put a small 20gb drive in for the time being. There isn't going to be a problem copying the data on the 20gb drice to the new RMAed one, right?

GlobalFear said:
I put a small 20gb drive in for the time being. There isn't going to be a problem copying the data on the 20gb drice to the new RMAed one, right?
I don't see why there would be.

The hard drive is here. :D

I'm formating it now. So just copy everything that was on the 20 gb drive over to the new drive
using windows explorer? OR should I use something like ghost?

Well after running ghost & pulling the 20gb it won't boot. So I put it back in and here I am. :(

Why not just do clean install of Xp and apps, and then hook 20gb as secondary to transfer data?

Because I just did a clean install on the 20gb and have just gotten things the way I like them.

I want to aviod it if possible.

Not really sure I ghosted C: (The 20gb) and then restored it to D: (the 160gb).

I powered down, pulled the 20gb and booted back up.

It acted like windows wasn't there. Also under msconfig boot.ini the OS on the 160gb isn't there.

Where did you save the ghost image? Id try and put it on a CD if you can. Maybe its tweakin becuase there are two drives.

I saved the ghost image to D then copied it over to C when I reloaded it. I could try saving to a dvd but, I'll have to redo it with a higher compression.

ACtually across the network. The dvdrw isn't hooked up.

Wait..

20GB=C
160=D

Created ghost of C, to put on D.

Once Finished, tried reading AND writing to D?

C=20gb
D=160GB

Make a ghost of C, put it on D, then transfer it to C. Ghost from file on C to D.

YEah, that is how I did it. Ghost didn't like having the file on D: as it earses the partition before starting. (me guesses)

Yup, thats what it does. Hmm I guess then, your screwed.

Clean install XP on the 160gb. Make two partitions first..One for your XP install and one for your Apps. Transfer apps from 20gb to that partition, and then install XP on the other partition.

Well youll have to reinstall all of them..

Why dont you just reformat the 160gb clean and use it as a storage drive? Have your OS on the 20gb.

A bump for the hell of it.
Maybe someone will come and tell me how to do it without reformating.............

Are you trying to copy your installation to your new bigger drive, without wiping out your settings, docs, etc?

Have you tried a manufacturer disk setup utility, such as MaxBlast or Data LifeGuard? Those tools are designed for peope that buy hard drives at Worst Buy etc to do exactly what you want - have a newer faster drive take over the exact same role as your old and slow drive. Give those a try!

IU'll give it a try. I have data life guard on a disk, too. :) Didn't know it could do that, though.

Back