Hard drive dying, boot failure, how to access it?

TSx

Gawd
My friend sent me this and I've been trying to help him, but I'm out of suggestions really; was hoping maybe someone here would have an answer.

My families harddrive looks like its on the verge of death(if its not dead yet) I'm trying to save data off of it, but it wont let me boot with, even as a secondary and what not, keep getting the message prim/secondary master/slave hard disk fail. So is there anyway I can access it? Or is it totally broken? Also might be a bit of help or not, but when I enter the BIOS it detects that the drive is there and reads its size etc.

Pop the drive in another computer as a slave. If you still cannot access it, it's time to get Norton Ghost and create and image of it using the RAW method. Ghost Explorer will let you pull any files off it you want.

Not joking here, but stick it in the freezer for 5 mins.

We did this at the shop once with a dead (DEAD DEAD) hard drive, and it spun on the first try. We were able to recover 50% of the data before it crapped out.

It didn't die from overheating, something about the extreme cold.

All I know is that it has worked twice now, so. Worth a shot?

He tried turning off smart, with no luck, then tried freezing it, didn't do anything. He's trying to get ahold of another friend who has norton system works to see if ghost will work.

Back