Happy official WinMo 6.5 release day :p

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
it's about time!

I only wish they lowered the requirements! It's starting to get as big as the iPhone OS! (about 200+mb now? dunno).

After watching that review, I don't know why his was lagging so bad. I've been using 6.5 for months now and it's been good and snappy, maybe those custom ROM guys are working more magic in the background than I thought.

The biggest thing that pisses me off about WM... is how slow it is.

The biggest thing that pisses me off about WM... is how slow it is.

It is pretty slow but I thought WinMo was always a little CPU hungry. There are several other reasons though that's keeping me from going back to a WinMo phone. The fact that this was the best mobile OS the largest software company in the world came up with kind of makes me wonder why they even bothered pushing out 6.5 in the first place. It's been over 2 years since WinMo 6 was released and look what's developed in the mobile world since then. Yeah, most people here all know about XDA and flashing ROMs but it it really too much to ask for a better experience of use right out of the box?

Here's to hoping WinMo 7 is a kick ass product.

Edit: I will say though the HTC Leo/HD 2 looks pretty damn good thanks to HTC's customization.

Last edited:
The thing is the iphone has shifted everyone's viewpoint away from functional to "look how pretty my phone is." So WinMo hasn't looked very different over the years, it's remained very functional and capable and still easily gets the job done. But these days it has to be all flashy and fancy since we all of course identify our coolness with our phones now. I think MS is finally saying "thats the dumbest shit I've ever heard but whatever, I guess we have to upgarde that to sell 'em." :p

I'm running WinMo 6.5 build 23053 now, and it's pretty dang speedy.
Previously, I was running 23047 and it was okay, but a bit laggy at times.
Before that, was 23035 I think. It was weak. All sorts of issues.
This is on my HTC TyTN 2

Now to get the marketplace installed back on

The MS Marketplace also launched today, here's a cab if you need to install it for those of you running pre-6.5:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44047&d=1254760365

have to be a member to download :(
maybe they'll have it over at xda

I'm running WinMo 6.5 build 23053 now, and it's pretty dang speedy.
Previously, I was running 23047 and it was okay, but a bit laggy at times.
Before that, was 23035 I think. It was weak. All sorts of issues.
This is on my HTC TyTN 2

Now to get the marketplace installed back on

have to be a member to download :(
maybe they'll have it over at xda

You might as well join, xda is nice for technical stuff but ppcgeeks has more discussion generally. I'm registered at both.

You might as well join, xda is nice for technical stuff but ppcgeeks has more discussion generally. I'm registered at both.

yeah I was thinkin about it. Although I don't even use xda for much except for ROMs.

and I only found 1 cab for the Marketplace, but it didn't want to work with the ROM I have. bah.

edit: well no matter... my ROM apparently doesn't like the Marketplace. Tried 3 dif cabs now and no luck. ah well.

Last edited:
Interested in this, just grabbed my tp2 on 6.1 about a week ago. Will wait awhile before i grab it though. Thanks for the link.

Been playing with the Windows Phone app store with the CAB that OldPueblo linked to, thanks! Works great on my Verizon Touch Pro 2 with the stock 6.1 ROM. Bought a couple of things. Its small but you know what, this things is straight forward and works just fine and has a decent number of useful apps to have just launched. It's only going to grow.

Apple and Google are going to wake up one morning and they're aren't going to know what hit them. I see ALL of the professional reviews kind of downing WinPhone 6.5 (seems like Windows Mobile has been replaced by Windows Phone, kind of smart actually, you're phone just runs Windows now) and the Touch Pro 2 is like the hottest device on the market now, Verizon sold out of them. I've had WinPhones since Day 2 and I've NEVER seen a Windows phone sell out.

The little phone that could.

Anyone know when the official release of the non-touch version of 6.5 will be?

I'm on a Samsung JACK and we are supposed to get an official upgrade to 6.5 at some point. I just haven't heard when.

Anyone know when the official release of the non-touch version of 6.5 will be?

I'm on a Samsung JACK and we are supposed to get an official upgrade to 6.5 at some point. I just haven't heard when.

That's up to Samsung, you should check to see what they are saying.

Do you like your WinMo phone? Why?

No mandatory $30 dataplan. It has wifi, meaning at home, work, anyone's house I'm likely to visit, every corner coffeeshop, and about every third store, even in the stands at the football game 2 saturday's back has wifi. It's everywhere, there's no reason to shell dough over to the carrier for data. The only place without is driving down the road, I don't/won't even use my phone driving down the road, much less straining to surf the web.

I'ts not made by apple, I rma's my ipod 5 times over the course of it's year warranty, I need to do it again before my 90days runs out. Apparently your not supposed to run with them even using the apple designed arm band...

Flexbility. Generally the stock firmware works great, but there's so much tweaking and tuning and fun to be had. Everything of importance, that makes the phone a phone is stored in PIM, very easy to backup/restore when switching firmwares so never without. Flash a new firmware, give it a test drive, play around, see what new features there are. If I like it, great, if not, back to the old firmware.

hmmmm
Don't have to use the slow buggy monstrosity that is iTunes...

Last edited:
Do you like your WinMo phone? Why?

Windows Phones have become a bit of the red headed step child of smartphones these days and some of that is deserved. Microsoft REALLY didn’t put the effort into the Windows CE platform to keep it current and fresh, especially at the UI level. Often then phone hardware wasn’t all that great as well.

Microsoft has drawn its line in the sand folks. They have risen from the dead. They are back and Google and Apple are going to wish they haven’t. Lazarus’s name is the HTC Touch Pro 2. And now that he is back from the dead his children next will be a new force in the mobile space.

The Verizon Touch Pro 2 that I got a month ago is my 4th Windows Phone since 2005. Being a Windows platform developer and general adopter of Microsoft technologies I’ve been using Windows CE devices since 2001. Windows CE at the time really was a good platform but as said earlier Microsoft let the platform grow old. Indeed as I stayed with Windows Phones I started to have my doubts but overall the platform was pretty solid with a lot of apps and flexibility. Then in 2007 came the iPhone.

Even as big of a Microsoft fan day as I am, I have to admit the freshness and power of the iPhone. My old XV6700 in 2007 just looked like old junk in many ways though I did have things link Verizon’s 3G network that the iPhone didn’t get until last year. Still Windows were showing their age. And the hardware just wasn’t that good.

But HTC has stuck with it. In the form of the TP2 they really have shown what a GOOD Windows Phone can do. This is the first WinPhone that I’ve had that has no major issues. It performs well (though it would be nice to see faster units, but they are on the way), has an INCREADIBLE screen, a FANTATISC speaker phone and the Opera browser on that beautiful screen really does make a very pleaseant web browsing experience. With HTC’s TouchFlo and Spb Mobile, the UI’s are new fresh and useful. And the large library of apps and smart user community have give WinPhones a new life.

I am almost completely satisfied with the TP2. It really is the WinPhone I’ve been waiting for. And I’m still on 6.1 using Spb Mobile Shell 3.5. VERY slick UI, similar to the Andriod’s Sense UI. It’s pretty zippy and just makes the phone beautiful.

Microsoft still has its work cut out for it. Windows Mobile needs to regain its reputation and get its developer base excited about the platform again. It needs a new suite of basic apps like email that are more attractive and finger friendly. But I think the pieces are coming together. The hardware is FAR better in the form of something like the TP2. Zune on phones has HUGE potential.

The TP2 has really reaffirmed my faith in Windows Phones. With Verizon’s powerful 3G network, a large and useful app library, top notch phone features, and that 800x480 screen I simply am pleased as punch. Just look at the user reviews. Almost EVERYONE who has this phone is impressed. When was the last time that happened in a Windows phone?

No mandatory $30 dataplan. It has wifi, meaning at home, work, anyone's house I'm likely to visit, every corner coffeeshop, and about every third store, even in the stands at the football game 2 saturday's back has wifi. It's everywhere, there's no reason to shell dough over to the carrier for data. The only place without is driving down the road, I don't/won't even use my phone driving down the road, much less straining to surf the web.

I have to say that I really LOVE my dataplan. Sure WiFi is all around but I find that its just to spotty and hotspots them selves to be too inconsistent as to be a dependable as Verizon's 3G network. Pretty much were I go in any city of on size, Verizon's 3G works VERY well.

To me a device like the TP2 without a dataplan is like a three legged horse. I've found Verizon's 3G to work very well in motion and that's quite handy if you're a passenger in a car or bus or train.

Because it has more overall ability and flexibility than any other phone, that's a fact.

Still going strong after 4+ years, and I will literally never use another phone OS.

If its good enough for Superman, its good enough for anyone! I watch Smallville and it looks as though Microsoft has paid to promote Windows on the show. Last weeks episode had Windows devices from phones to slate tablets all over the place. So FREEKING COOL!:D

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. As a developer, how do you get your apps out to the public without a good marketplace?

I have to say that I really LOVE my dataplan. Sure WiFi is all around but I find that its just to spotty and hotspots them selves to be too inconsistent as to be a dependable as Verizon's 3G network. Pretty much were I go in any city of on size, Verizon's 3G works VERY well.

To me a device like the TP2 without a dataplan is like a three legged horse. I've found Verizon's 3G to work very well in motion and that's quite handy if you're a passenger in a car or bus or train.

Amen.

Love my TP2 with the TMobile 3G here in Seattle.

Love TouchFlo 3D as well. Way better than the default 6.5 homescreen.

If only the XDA chefs can make manila2.5 less buggy now.. Ill give em time :) My current ROM is perfect.

PS: 6.5 is now availible as an upgrade for the Samsung JACK. It may be availible for other phones/manufacturers as well.

It is NOT worth the hype. Not for non-touch phones, anyway. Looks like all they did was implement the bug fixes, and left everything else alone.

saw a commercial on tv last night for WinMo phones. Was pretty funny, actually. Although it took me a bit to figure out wtf it was all about, with people in costumes shaped like the E for IE7, the MSN messenger icon, etc.

as for battery life; the battery life on my phone hasn't changed all that much between a completely stock, OEM AT&T 6.1 ROM, and a cooked 6.5 ROM, and my HTC TyTN II

Back