HAMMER DOWN... ATI rocks NVIDIA in new FAR CRY BENCHIES

Uh, the Ultra wins in all but 1, and that's 16x12 which we know is where the XT closes the gap at. I wouldn't call winning one test "rocking" nVidia.

heyheyhey said:
Uh, the Ultra wins in all but 1, and that's 16x12 which we know is where the XT closes the gap at. I wouldn't call winning one test "rocking" nVidia.
Well the XT and the Pro won out on the "detail 2.0" runs as opposed to the "sprites 2.0", but like you said, I would call that "rocking" nVidia by any means. If this Doom3 argument has taught us anything, it's that one game's performance doesn't dictate which of two fairly evenly matched cards wins out over the other.

This is simply a guess, but after Aug 3rd you are going to see and hear very little about Far Cry and it will stop getting played by a majority of folks who will be locked in a struggle fighting Demons from Hell in Doom 3. But again that's just a guess on my part.

Edit -Also if the Rumors about HL2 are on target you can add that into the mix as well.

CIWS said:
This is simply a guess, but after Aug 3rd you are going to see and hear very little about Far Cry and it will stop getting played by a majority of folks who will be locked in a struggle fighting Demons from Hell in Doom 3. But again that's just a guess on my part.

Only for 23 hours though :(

I wish everybody would just agree that both the 6800 and x800 are both REALLY good cards, both have their strengths, both have their weaknesses.

So instead of trying to "one-up" each other by putting the other camp down we should all unite, ATi and nVidia fanboys (and/or girls) alike and work towards a more usefull purpose, like:

1. convincing Artic-Cooling to release an aftermarket cooling solution for both the x800 and the 6800GT (sooner, I know they're coming, but I want one NOW!!!!)

2. Find more Hot Deals to post and save each other money.

3. Help me figure out what this rash is on my inner thigh (man it burns).

4. PayPal me money so I can order an 455load of King-B Peppered Beef Jerky and crates of Strawberry Quik (or some MD AMP (that stuff is pricey)).

zlooop said:
It aint scary after youve already beat it!

Doom 3 MP .. thats a different and unknown story.

Well certainly I haven't seen the depth of the game yet, but I'm willing to bet unlike a lot of other game manufacturers, ID didn't throw together some single player stuff just to produce a game. If a person plays it on a difficult setting I SERIOUSLY doubt they will be done in a day or even two. Now if you want to stick a game on the easy setting and turn on God Mode, then it's possible, but IMHO you're only ripping yourself off from the work of the programmers at ID.

EDIT - Also Doom /Doom II was still scary after even replay, I can only imagine how Doom 3 will be with the improved engine and graphics.

zlooop said:
You gotta read the article..

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page14.asp

here the performance king is the ati by far.. and the ATI PRO is still ahead of the 6800 GT(without the famed PS 3.0) and shows more distance at lower res

Do you even read your own link completely?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page19.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page18.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page17.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page16.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page15.asp

nVidia beats ATi in all of these.

Including the above, GT "rocks" the X800 Pro here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page13.asp

The article wasn't written to say that the X800 is the Farcry performance king -- rather, they were pointing out the significant speed increases with the new patch.

for the lazy ppl

1600x1200
no aa - 4xAA - 4xAA/8xAF

training
x800xt 77,9 - 54,6 - 49,5
6800u 75,3 - 52,4 - 42,2

research
x800xt 87,4 - 64,2 - 57,7
6800u 77,6 - 57,3 - 44,8

regulator
x800xt 67,6 - 45,2 - 40,9
6800u 73,6 - 47,3 - 38,5

volcano
x800xt 73,3 - 52,1 - 50,1
6800u 76,6 - 53,6 - 45,2

The only scores I really care about are with AA/AF applied at high resolutions and it seems the X800 and 6800 cards do equally well here.

I am more concerned with knowing what the minimum FPS are since I dislike having the FPS dip into the teens at some points in the game. I would rather run at a consistent 30+ FPS than having the frame rates jump all over the place.

^^^ if that is 'rocking'

what exactly was it that the 6800 series did to the x800 series in doom3? Genocide?

:D

Let us know how things go after the farcry patch isn't beta, isn't recalled, directx 9c isn't beta, is publicly available, and you have benches where ati is doing full trilinear vs. nvidia.

I wouldnt calling those benchies "rocking" Nvidia--and what the hell is this "HAMMER DOWN" thing you have to yell about?

Nothing significant is presented in those benchmarks. Im waiting for doom3, as I have already beat far cry 3 times. Far Cry is over for me, as well as a bunch of other hardcore gamers.

onetwo said:
Do you even read your own link completely?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page19.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page18.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page17.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page16.asp
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page15.asp

nVidia beats ATi in all of these.

Including the above, GT "rocks" the X800 Pro here:

The article wasn't written to say that the X800 is the Farcry performance king -- rather, they were pointing out the significant speed increases with the new patch.

I dont really personally care about bench marks not including both AA and AF. Nor do i even consider anything below 10x7 resolutions. Either way, to each his own. I am just happy ATI will release a quality and performance crowning driver in this arena.

And.. I also would like to see minumum benchmarks in there as well... agreed.

Spank said:
for the lazy ppl

1600x1200
no aa - 4xAA - 4xAA/8xAF

training
x800xt 77,9 - 54,6 - 49,5
6800u 75,3 - 52,4 - 42,2

research
x800xt 87,4 - 64,2 - 57,7
6800u 77,6 - 57,3 - 44,8

regulator
x800xt 67,6 - 45,2 - 40,9
6800u 73,6 - 47,3 - 38,5

volcano
x800xt 73,3 - 52,1 - 50,1
6800u 76,6 - 53,6 - 45,2

Looks fairly split to me.

I dont see much "Rock"ing or pwnage. % wise ATI has a slight lead in their benchmarks. (focused on sm2.0) etc.

It was not nearly the % increase the 6800 series had across the board on Doom3 preliminary benchmarks.

They are both awesome cards. (PERIOD) However, Its not a clear decision like in the past few generations... with the 9700/9800 ATI clearly had the highest performance for that generation. Before then NVidia always had the performance edge.

And now its a dead heat, with hats tipped to Nv for SM3.0 and more headroom for driver improvements b/c of an all new architecture. Where ATI has probably already tweak most of the performance out of its (same) architecture in the past 2 generations.

Time will tell in the next several months as a few new driver releases come out, and a few new games... etc. My bet will be on the 6800GT as the best overall price performance.

yeah, this thread is pointless. Another ati loyalist trying to justify the money hes spent on the x800xtpe.

Face it: they are both good cards, and each is a little better in different games. I personally have a 6800gt, and I dont care if it gets beat by 2-3 fps.

If you turned off ATI's cheats they would be lucky to beat nVidia in a single bench in Far Cry lol.

BTW, nVidia is suppost to be working on some new Brilinear cheats of their own that will be in the upcoming 62.xx series drivers and they may give ATI a run for their money in Far Cry.

And something else you should learn is to never base ANYTHING off ONE review. Did you even see this other one?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/farcry20b.html

The 6800 and X800 are evenly matched in Far Cry. The performance changes for each level and what part of the level you are in.

zlooop! Get ready to be linched by a bunch of very angry 6800GT owners! You just questioned (their) manly hood :eek: :p They still think (their) peckers are 70FPS big not 45FPS :D WARNING DOOM3 CAN PUT SERIOUS INCHES ON YOUR WOOD :p

zlooop said:
Only for 23 hours though :(

why are people still playing farcry then ?

are you trying to assert that there's 1,500+ hrs of gameplay in farcry ?

good grief man use some logic...

and on the topic of the thread, those benches look very evenly split to me- and as one person said if beating nvidia by 5-8fps in half the benches (and then losing the other half by the same margin) is rocking...then I'm not sure if theres an adjective with enough ownage to describe what happened in doom3....

Ohhh..

3 bloody fps. Wah. I shall cry now.

I like seeing ATi being competative, and this is a great development.

But neither card is on top. Period. They're both DAMN good.

JKA Represent said:
yeah, this thread is pointless. Another ati loyalist trying to justify the money hes spent on the x800xtpe.

Face it: they are both good cards, and each is a little better in different games. I personally have a 6800gt, and I dont care if it gets beat by 2-3 fps.

Okk.. first off..

I DONT HAVE EITHER CARD... i play games with the system you see in my profile, but I am thinking of upgrading... Im just waiting for the best deal to come out on a decent card ... i think they are both good cards, just right now for far cry ati is the best...

Secondly,
zlooop! Get read to be linched by a bunch of very angry 6800GT owners! You just questioned (their) manly hood They still think (their) peckers are 70FPS big not 45FPS WARNING DOOM3 CAN PUT SERIOUS INCHES ON YOUR WOOD

LOL :D

These 2 recent sets of Far Cry benchmarks (SM2.0b and SM3.0 for respective cards) show the gap has been narrowed and/or erased. If anything, it makes the 6800GT look like a far better buy than the x800Pro, reinforcing the Doom3 results.

I wouldn't exactly tout these as "ATI rocks NVIDIA" since it looks like ATI is losing ground in the one game it had dominated in this generation so far.

and as one person said if beating nvidia by 5-8fps in half the benches (and then losing the other half by the same margin) is rocking...then I'm not sure if theres an adjective with enough ownage to describe what happened in doom3....

Well last time i looked at the doom benchies The 6800U was only 7.4FPS in front @ 1600X1200 MaxAA/AF so if i use your quote then doom3 wasnt as much of an ownage as some of you people keep trying to parrot it up to be?

@trapine said:
zlooop! Get ready to be linched by a bunch of very angry 6800GT owners! You just questioned (their) manly hood :eek: They still think (their) peckers are 70FPS big not 45FPS :D WARNING DOOM3 CAN PUT SERIOUS INCHES ON YOUR WOOD :p

We would much rather lynch you @trapine. :p

You better hurry up and jump on the bandwaggon or you may be the only ATI supporter left on HardOCP when DOOM 3 releases lol. j\k

@trapine said:
Well last time i looked at the doom benchies The 6800U was only 7.4FPS in front @ 1600X1200 MaxAA/AF so if i use your quote then doom3 wasnt as much of an ownage as some you people keep trying to parrot it up to be?

It doesn't matter how many fps it was ahead. What matters is how many fps you have to have in order for it to be completely playable and smooth. 7 fps could mean everything in the world if it starts becoming "unplayable" below a certain level.

And the X800Pro was performing nowhere near the level of the 6800GT in D3.

We would much rather lynch you @trapine.

You better hurry up and jump on the bandwaggon or you may be the only ATI supporter left on HardOCP when DOOM 3 released lol. j\k

Dont worry Burningave your Graphics card doesnt have feeling fella :pSo it cant hear me saying ATI lmao?

It doesn't matter how many fps it was ahead. What matters is how many fps you have to have in order for it to be completely playable and smooth. 7 fps could mean everything in the world if it starts becoming "unplayable" below a certain level.

Now your just being a drama queen :eek:Even kyle said The X800Pro played doom3 quite fine.And X800XTPE was well and truely in there.But i suppose your are gonna tell me 2.8FPS is gonna render it unplayable :rolleyes:

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
blen.. can't we just all get along???
:( ..i dont want to seee either of these cmopanies lose... seriosuly.. it only benifits us all..

yea we can totally get along, and remember one or even two generations is not the death of these companies...having one not do so good, forces them to come back hardcore (ie NV30 brought about NV40).

whats not cool though is when either side (nvidia or ati) tries to push total BS in the form of saying one card destroys another when the benches are half and half and on both sides the winning and losing margin is 5-8fps.

man if things are tight now, if ati goes through with their commitments on opengl drivers, etc. competitition is going to get even more tense. now if either the asus x800pro or bfgtech 6800 gt came into stock.....

man if things are tight now, if ati goes through with their commitments on opengl drivers, etc. competitition is going to get even more tense. now if either the asus x800pro or bfgtech 6800 gt came into stock.....

ATI is just blowing alot of hot air with their OpenGL drivers. Doom 3 has been in the making for several years. They had more then enough time to be working on it then.

They also didn't even have a BETA ready for testing at the ID benchmarking. And DOOM 3 releases in less then 2 weeks. Why would i wait around till AFTER Doom 3 is released to see if ATI ever finally gets OpenGL drivers worth a shit?

ATI couldn't rewrite drivers for a sock.

And nVidia is suppost to be getting ready to release some "optimizations" in their 62.xx series drivers which will bring even more performance to the 6800's. These will help counterattack all the optimizations ATI is having to use just to compete in D3D.

zloop, what the hell? You say that both cards are great, yet your title of your asinine thread is: "...ATI rocks NVIDIA..."

Please stop spamming the forums trying to create a flame war. You contradict yourself so many times, its not even funny

JKA Represent said:
zloop, what the hell? You say that both cards are great, yet your title of your asinine thread is: "...ATI rocks NVIDIA..."

Please stop spamming the forums trying to create a flame war. You contradict yourself so many times, its not even funny

Read the first thread and there is a title change to tops...

other than that...

What is the hardforum policy for sending pms like this from JKA Represent:

your thread about the far cry benchies is moronic. Before you post next time, please think about what you are doing.

at least there is an ignore list... :rolleyes:

I wasnt flaming.. go away... i mean comon youve been a member for 8 days..

burningrave101 said:
And nVidia is suppost to be getting ready to release some "optimizations" in their 62.xx series drivers which will bring even more performance to the 6800's. These will help counterattack all the optimizations ATI is having to use just to compete in D3D.

Classic blind faith rhetoric. If ATI is only ahead due to their "cheats" then why is the XT beating the 6800 without AF on?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_ps2.0b/page10.asp

Shouldn't they loose everytime if the 6800 is so much better with AA on? You also still haven't answered my question; Do you work for NVidia??? I have never seen such partisan views as you have grave...we'll maybe Tran.

@trapine said:
Now your just being a drama queen :eek:Even kyle said The X800Pro played doom3 quite fine.And X800XTPE was well and truely in there.But i suppose your are gonna tell me 2.8FPS is gonna render it unplayable :rolleyes:

He didn't say what settings the X800Pro played D3 just fine. My old 5900XT will play D3 just fine.

At 1600x1200 w/ 8xAF the 6800u was ahead of the X800XT PE by 12 fps and the X800Pro by 25 fps.

At 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF the 6800u was ahead of the X800XT PE by 7.2 fps and the X800Pro by 19.2 fps.

**cough**all caps in title = B7 **cough**

Just a question, but don't I remember reading that the 1.2 patch was pulled for the time being and is not being released? or was released and taken down? I believe it was something to do with the way ATI cards still have issues with the game....

mind you many gamers, this one included, have issues with the game, so it really dosen't matter.

Back