Halo Infinite

Unreal 2 was actually pretty good. And the MP for (

Not all those games you listed were FPS games though, so that's not really a good comparison.

The thing about Halo is it had a lot hype of being from Bungie as Marathon was amazing, but for Mac. So when Halo was going to be for the PC it was heralded as the greatest thing ever, and the information and media for it was phenominal. Then it turned into Xbox and the same people that hyped it turned around and shat on it and it turned into a hilarious amount of sour grapes. It truly was ground breaking in many ways, it did deliver, it was one of the best of it's era. Sure it released on the wrong platform for some people, but it was great.

The PC port was really good as well, if you could run it.

I was more into Quake and UT at the time but Halo was good stuff and I played through it on Xbox and PC a couple times and had a blast in the MP.

Only Max Payne and it's close enough to count.

Halo was going to be a strategy game on the PC. It didn't turn into a FPS until MS bought the exclusivity deal.

The hype for Halo, while there, wasn't huge until Halo 2 as most console gamers had never heard of Marathon, much yet played it. Most Halo "hype" was more gaming media based, lots of articles and interviews for MS new console and its flagship game.

EDIT: Marathon 1 and 2 were more fun than Halo.

Last edited:
The graphics remind me of Halo 3. In Halo 3 the big thing they focused on with graphics was unlimited draw distance with no skybox. These graphics do not look next gen. The graphics look like a current gen Halo 3 remaster.

The gameplay looks meh. I think they failed to understand what made old Halo gameplay fun. In the original Halo games the enemies had a lot of interaction with each other and their behavior varied a lot based on the other enemies they were with. You rarely fought one enemy at a time because the gameplay was designed around the interactions. You would fight large groups at once and how the enemies interacted with each other was core to the gameplay. This new game looks like they just added enemies that behave individually. It looks like the enemies can do some cool things, but that gets boring fast compared to the huge variation in gameplay you would get with the group interactions. This looks more like a generic FPS gameplay skinned with a Halo theme, which is basically what the last several Halo games have been so I'm not surprised. Halo is just another generic FPS now.

As for the people who think Halo 1 wasn't that good, you sound like a bunch of salty losers or people that were 5 years old during a major history event and acting like they're some sort of expert explaining it to other people 20 years later.
The comparable PC game at the time was Unreal 2... lol

For its time a few aspects were good, but a lot of things were not all that great. Even reviewers at the time noticed the lazy cut/paste map design. Game starts out good, then feels rushed towards the end with repeating scenarios, map sections and the AI bugs become much more notable.

For its time a few aspects were good, but a lot of things were not all that great. Even reviewers at the time noticed the lazy cut/paste map design. Game starts out good, then feels rushed towards the end with repeating scenarios, map sections and the AI bugs become much more notable.

Yeah it's not a perfect game, but you're overstating those flaws. Most reviewers still gave it 10/10. There are only 5 games on metacritic with a higher score.

Halo: CE was a fun game; I never finished the last mission though (driving through that exploding ship) because of the complete
clusterfxxk that is the Warthog - who designs a combat vehicle which behaves and handles like it's skidding on ice constantly lol.

I bought the MCC recently since I've only ever played Halo: CE and Halo 2 on Xbox in couch co-op.
They're certainly not the greatest games like some people make them out to be, but they _are_ fun and well worth playing imo.

Yeah it's not a perfect game, but you're overstating those flaws. Most reviewers still gave it 10/10. There are only 5 games on metacritic with a higher score.

Which is what people are saying, it is quite literally overrated. Not that it is a horrible game, just rated too high for what it was. And again I think a lot of this has to do with it being instrumental to making FPS semi popular on console. Golden Eye and Halo are essential to console FPS history, but not so much to FPS history as a whole. Console preference has always been TPS and PC as always been FPS. Largely due to control schemes.

Series that start on PC tend to be FPS - Half Life, Doom, Deus Ex, Rainbow Six, Battlefield, Wolfenstien, Counter Strike, Red Orchestra, Insurgency, Metro, STALKER, Crysis, Far Cry, Ghost Recon.

Series that start on console or become console only games tend to be TPS - Metal Gear, Ghost Recon sequels (except PC versions of Advanced Warfighter 1/2 which were FPS), Gears of War, Alan Wake, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Uncharted series, GTA, pretty much any Sony game.

These days this trend isn't as evident. Wolfenstein, Doom, Battlefield, Far Cry and Half Life are on consoles. The watered down console Ghost Recon games are on PC now. But back then? Halo was one of the few decent console FPS. If you weren't familiar with PC gaming, Halo must have been absolutely magnificent and innovative.

I think they meant legitimate as in played the game start to finish rather than just fed off of the opinions of others not that they’re deciding what is and isn’t legitimate.
I played the game until I got bored of it and had enough. And that was a feat in those days as I played all kinds of garbage. If a game was so boring that I didn't finish it that's telling. BTW if everyone loved it, how would I have a negative opinion of it by feeding off others?

Last edited:
What I remember most about the original Halo, and what really separated from other singleplayer FPS at the time, was the enemy AI. I remember the AI of the covenant being extremely smart (for the time), and Legendary being an especially good time. The use of open world-ish playgrounds with vehicles and smart AI were a lot of fun back then.
Yeah, it was a one trick pony. The ai was slightly more challenging (I'd not call it smart) than other games of the era. What I remember it for is bad level design, empty long corridor maps with repetitive combat sequences.

Not all those games you listed were FPS games though, so that's not really a good comparison.
That doesn't mean they weren't better and more memorable. I can't speak for RTCW and MW4 as I never played those but the three other games were much more memorable than Halo.

Which is what people are saying, it is quite literally overrated. Not that it is a horrible game, just rated too high for what it was. And again I think a lot of this has to do with it being instrumental to making FPS semi popular on console. Golden Eye and Halo are essential to console FPS history, but not so much to FPS history as a whole. Console preference has always been TPS and PC as always been FPS. Largely due to control schemes.

Series that start on PC tend to be FPS - Half Life, Doom, Deus Ex, Rainbow Six, Battlefield, Wolfenstien, Counter Strike, Red Orchestra, Insurgency, Metro, STALKER, Crysis, Far Cry, Ghost Recon.

Series that start on console or become console only games tend to be TPS - Metal Gear, Ghost Recon sequels (except PC versions of Advanced Warfighter 1/2 which were FPS), Gears of War, Alan Wake, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Uncharted series, GTA, pretty much any Sony game.

These days this trend isn't as evident. Wolfenstein, Doom, Battlefield, Far Cry and Half Life are on consoles. The watered down console Ghost Recon games are on PC now. But back then? Halo was one of the few decent console FPS. If you weren't familiar with PC gaming, Halo must have been absolutely magnificent and innovative.

Halo was still innovative compared even if you played PC FPS at the time. I started with Wolf 3D and was big into Quake and Unreal and other PC FPS games and Halo still did a lot of innovative things and was something unique at the time. It was well worth buying an Xbox for it, and there were a lot of PC gamers who did (I am one).

But on PC gaming more generally Xbox really blurred the lines. A lot of types of games and even franchises that were mostly PC centric before made the move to it. Part of that was that PC gaming has always really been a western thing, where console gaming was dominated by Japan. Xbox really changed all that in a massive way and pumped Western style games onto consoles and did really well at it. The Xbox really shined as a western platform that did a lot of PC type things well.

I've always had consoles and PCs so I don't come down on the side of either in a fight. I very much like that everything is on everything now, makes it easier to just have a PC and add a switch!

I played the game until I got bored of it and had enough. And that was a feat in those days as I played all kinds of garbage. If a game was so boring that I didn't finish it that's telling. BTW if everyone loved it, how would I have a negative opinion of it by feeding off others?
You’re ranting at the wrong person, I was just trying to translate how their statement read to me. IE not that they were dictating legitimacy but just whether or not detractors did play. Evidently you did play, none of that matters to me, and is barely relevant to my reply.

Not everyone is going to like the same things. Oh the fuck well.

Wait what? Doom64, Perfect Dark, Turok all say hello. There were others as well but the n64 stands out.

Allow me to rephrase....Halo was the first FPS game that allowed console weenies to think they could proficiently play an FPS using a gamepad thanks to over the top auto-aim and regenerating health.

You’re ranting at the wrong person, I was just trying to translate how their statement read to me. IE not that they were dictating legitimacy but just whether or not detractors did play. Evidently you did play, none of that matters to me, and is barely relevant to my reply.

Not everyone is going to like the same things. Oh the fuck well.
I'm not ranting, I clarified that I Did play the game. And I Don't think OP actually meant what you think they meant. I'm pretty sure the insinuation was that you are only allowed to have an opinion on Halo if you played the og Xbox version at release.

Allow me to rephrase....Halo was the first FPS game that allowed console weenies to think they could proficiently play an FPS using a gamepad thanks to over the top auto-aim and regenerating health.

Console weenies is just silly and stupid. And auto-aim and regenerating health were inventions that started on the PC so blame the PC for that.

And decent FPS game play started with the N64 and quality connected and even online FPS play started on the Dreamcast.

Halo Infinite Gameplay Trailer Analysis: Are The Graphics Really 'Flat'?

There's been lots of criticism of the 'flat' graphics...so what's really going on? In addition to moving to an open world, Halo has transitioned to a dynamic lighting system - this opens up a wealth of opportunities but it also has drawbacks...

as always Digital Foundry nails the graphics/tech aspect...

Console weenies is just silly and stupid.

picgifs-deal-with-it-1528635.gif

And auto-aim and regenerating health were inventions that started on the PC so blame the PC for that.

Cool story bro....except that you are utterly wrong. Auto-aim has never been common place on PC because PC gamers don't aim with their thumbs using analog sticks. And regenerating health as a game mechanic was first introduced by a console game called......./drumroll.....Halo.

And decent FPS game play started with the N64 and quality connected and even online FPS play started on the Dreamcast.

I am struggling to tell whether you are trying to be edgy or are just plain ignorant. FPS games as a genre was well advanced on PC years before the N64 debuted (Duke 3D, Doom, Heretic, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Quake, etc) and PC nerds were playing Quake, Quake 2, Team Fortress, Half Life 2, etc years before the Dreamcast released in the US and Europe.

Quakeworld never existed apparently, and all those matches we played are in our imaginations.

I think those are great games but I don't think any of them are better than Halo CE.

Halo CE was originally going to be on Mac, then MS bought Bungie and it was going to be on PC. They showed off an awesome E3 trailer and everyone was hyped up. When MS changed it to an Xbox only game a lot of PC gamers were salty and said basically the exact thing you're saying. "Oh, it's just an average game, oh these PC games were way better, etc." and never actually owned an xbox and legitimately played the game game through, experienced actual multiplayer, etc. I'm not saying you can't actually believe those games are better, but what your'e saying sounds exactly like those people.
This is my recollection of Halo as well. When it was originally going to be on PC it was heralded as the second coming. It switched to Xbox and PC gamers lost their minds.
The original halo came out when I was in college. I have never had a better couch coop / split screen multiplayer experience in my life ... goldeneye 64 is very close. My college roommates and myself had a blast with Halo.
Enough with the revisionist history regarding Halo.

View attachment 264721

Cool story bro....except that you are utterly wrong. Auto-aim has never been common place on PC because PC gamers don't aim with their thumbs using analog sticks. And regenerating health as a game mechanic was first introduced by a console game called......./drumroll.....Halo.

I am struggling to tell whether you are trying to be edgy or are just plain ignorant. FPS games as a genre was well advanced on PC years before the N64 debuted (Duke 3D, Doom, Heretic, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Quake, etc) and PC nerds were playing Quake, Quake 2, Team Fortress, Half Life 2, etc years before the Dreamcast released in the US and Europe.

Just one small point, uhhh Half-Life 2 was definitely not being played prior to the Dreamcasts release. There was about 4 years between the two, and the Dreamcast came first not second.

And I think their point was in relation to consoles having half decent FPS experiences prior to Halo not that FPS started on N64. Not quite what they said, but I find it hard to assume they’re pretending the games you listed didn’t happen on PC for years. Of course the auto-aim on PC comment....who knows what they really mean.

Its totally true. The GM of Microsoft Studios, Aaron Greenberg, blames the poor reception to the graphics on the pandemic and on youtube compression. Dog ate his homework too, deliberately. Keep in mind this game has been in development 5 years.

View attachment 264827

View attachment 264826

While I agree the graphics look bad, the things circled are intentional. It is part of the architectural design of the map.

Suppose we'll have to wait post launch for all the graphical features to be added in though.

Graphics look ok to me(playing games that aren't AAA has changed my opinions on being a graphics critic), not something that should be trying to showcase a new console though. But with Halo 5 absent on PC, not sure when I will play this. Kinda want to know the story going in.

Just one small point, uhhh Half-Life 2 was definitely not being played prior to the Dreamcasts release. There was about 4 years between the two, and the Dreamcast came first not second.

And I think their point was in relation to consoles having half decent FPS experiences prior to Halo not that FPS started on N64. Not quite what they said, but I find it hard to assume they’re pretending the games you listed didn’t happen on PC for years. Of course the auto-aim on PC comment....who knows what they really mean.
Well it very much seems like they mean to say that there were no proper FPS games before Halo anywhere, including PC. But even if they meant console only, I definitely remember playing Q2 on console before halo so it's false even if they only meant consoles.

Well it very much seems like they mean to say that there were no proper FPS games before Halo anywhere, including PC. But even if they meant console only, I definitely remember playing Q2 on console before halo so it's false even if they only meant consoles.
They were definitely trying to say the N64 had well done FPS games before Halo. They even mentioned in a previous post Turok Doom 64 and Perfect Dark. They certainly did fail to mention Quake and Quake 2 both being on the 64 as well.

Graphics look ok to me(playing games that aren't AAA has changed my opinions on being a graphics critic), not something that should be trying to showcase a new console though. But with Halo 5 absent on PC, not sure when I will play this. Kinda want to know the story going in.

The big reason people were excited for this is because it seems like it's ignoring the trash fire that was Halo5. You'll be fine.

The big reason people were excited for this is because it seems like it's ignoring the trash fire that was Halo5. You'll be fine.

Still want to play it. Even if its crap, I'm sure there is some story content and I'm not wanting to skip it. Hard to play a trilogy when you miss the middle section.

Don't see why they wouldn't though, enough people will buy it for the campaign.

I mean't Half Life 1 which definitely did release before the Dreamcast in the US and Europe.

I wasn't sure myself what they meant to be honest, but given they claimed that auto-aim and regen health originated first from PC it certainly seemed possible that they were also suggesting decent FPS games and online play did not exist prior to the N64 and Dreamcast.

FPS started in PC but there were decent ones on console prior to Halo. Dreamcast and N64 had several. And also auto aim, health regen in FPS, started on the PC and were picked up on consoles later. That wasn't something consoles originated or came up with, it was strictly a PC invention which then became defacto on consoles and is now a toggle on many PC and console games. If you dislike auto aim and health regeneration, your gripe is with the PC.

And also auto aim, health regen in FPS, started on the PC and were picked up on consoles later. That wasn't something consoles originated or came up with, it was strictly a PC invention which then became defacto on consoles and is now a toggle on many PC and console games. If you dislike auto aim and health regeneration, your gripe is with the PC.

You are delusional buddy, they are console features and always have been. The fact that you can't even cite one example in support of your claim says it all.

Yar, Halo definitely wasn't the first FPS (or even the first good FPS) on console, but I'd argue it was the first really impressive console FPS. Open world (ish) gameplay, vehicles, and 16 player LAN play (iirc).

Halo CE doesn't have health regen. It has shield regen. Checkmate losers.

Semantics....regardless of what you call it, the entire purpose of having a regenerating mechanic that effectively extended the life force of a player was to make it easier for console nubs.

I always thought the health/shield regen concept was a fun change after years of the same style of item collection FPS shootouts.
It put less focus on constantly forcing people to collect health/armor packs and gave more of an ebb and flow to things. For years it was all about having a good route through a level. With health/shields out of that equation, it put the focus more on weapons and confrontations rather than route running.

I always thought the health/shield regen concept was a fun change after years of the same style of item collection FPS shootouts.
It put less focus on constantly forcing people to collect health/armor packs and gave more of an ebb and flow to things. For years it was all about having a good route through a level. With health/shields out of that equation, it put the focus more on weapons and confrontations rather than route running.

It was a good change. It's one of the things Halo pioneered and was copied by many console and PC games. They actually made it make sense by having it be part of the armor, and the only enemies that regenerate are enemies with energy shields too. A lot of games that copied the mechanic just pretend gaping bullet wounds magically heal after 5 seconds. Which I guess isn't any less realistic than walking over a hot meal or medpack. It's just one of the many details that make Halo a great game and why it's one of the highest rated games of all time despite a few crybabies that claim anything that isn't a PC exclusive sucks. It's so cool to hate on something that's popular.

Halo was just fun for the MP maps single player just sucked. Then your eyes would just burn because you couldn't disable bloom.

Even though I was a pretty hardcore PC FPS player in those days, I still liked Halo and Goldeneye. Those were the two console FPS games that had some heart and soul to them...even if I couldn't play them for shit since I was a mouse player at the time. Can't say I ever loved Halo's SP mode, but it was a terrific VS. game. Goldeneye's SP was better, but not great, either.
One of my buddies had a crazy multi-Xbox network setup in different rooms/corners of his house. I mostly watched, but it was neat seeing people team up like that on a console at the time. It was easy to setup, too.

It was super easy to setup, it was just like a PC LAN. I used to LAN Quake 3, Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, and other PC games multiple times a week with a bunch of friends. After Halo come out we liked it better and did Xbox LANs almost every day. And more people would play since you could have 4 per TV/Xbox instead of 1 per pc/monitor. We had a lot of 16 player Halo games on the weekends.

Still want to play it. Even if its crap, I'm sure there is some story content and I'm not wanting to skip it.
Me too. I'll play this game, even though I mostly haven't cared about Halo after the original in 2001. The Borderlands style gameplay has me interested.

Also the pushback on the graphics might end up being a good thing if it created an all-hands-on-deck situation at the developer, and they have fire under their asses to bump up the graphics and lighting last minute to prove everyone wrong.

Back