Half Life 2 voted Game of the past Decade

What is the best game of the past decade?

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half-Life 2

Votes: 76 57.1%
  • World of Warcraft

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Wii Sports

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BioShock

• Portal

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption

• Batman: Arkham City

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

AMD T-type

Supreme [H]ardness
Do you agree?

I have attached a poll with the official VGA nominees.

In my own personal opinion of games I myself played, I would agree.

Let the debating begin!

It deserves to be in the conversation certainly.

In terms of influence though, I don't know how you can pick anything over World of Warcraft. And I've never even played it.

It deserves to be in the conversation certainly.

In terms of influence though, I don't know how you can pick anything over World of Warcraft. And I've never even played it.

Definitely WoW.. Changed the whole mmo standard.

I don't know.

I mean I enjoyed Half life 2 a lot. It brought physics out to the masses in games (Though it was far from the first game to have physics).

However I enjoyed a game like Red Dead Redemption more from a gameplay perspective. We simply do not get hardly ANY western games.

i mean off the top of my head since playing games in the late 80's until now we've had the classic Outlaws game from lucasarts, the RTS western games (Forgot the name), Call of Juarez, and RDR, that's about it as far as decent ones I know of.

I still can not fathom why Rockstar didn't bring it to pc like they did with the GTA games and others, it was imo better then GTA.

I Just hope that they are already working on RDR 2 and are saving it for their big "next gen" title to reveal in 2013 for the next gen consoles/pc's (I hope).

Fuck no. Boring assed grey and tarmac extremely linear corridor shooter with no plot and dumbass samey enemies. People only like it because a) they feel like they should as thats what a "PC gamer" should, and b) see a. It's a boring tedious repetitive corridor waltz with annoying "puzzles" and annoying "vehicle" sections to break up the incessant tedium. It's as fun as Ikea a week after a closing down sale. Also it looks horribly dated.

Journalist love it because of the Valve defense league will suckle their peepees over any mention of their tarmac corridor games. It's like the emperor's new clothes. :D

Did you make that list? Wii sports? Zelda?! :confused:

Definitely WoW.. Changed the whole mmo standard.

WoW didn't "change" the whole mmo standard, it merely set a high bar as far as subscribers/player base goes. It was mainly because of Blizzard, who unlike many developers (who wish they were like Blizzard) that has both a huge western fanbase as well as an eastern fanbase. Plus as usual blizzard refines their games, over and over again, making them very accessible to everyone, new and older/familiar players alike.

From a game perspective WoW did 0 things new or revolutionary. It took pretty much the core gameplay that EQ set forth, with it's "theme park" world and class/lv based gameplay and made it easier. The other things it borrowed from other mmo's, PVP wise it took a lot from DAOC. They just put things together and refined it and attracted new players.

Playing WoW it didn't feel "new/fresh" at all if you had played mmo's in the past, you knew how it worked and what to expect for the most part. It was just very well designed and streamlined.

Pretty much every single mmo that tried to chase the same gameplay as WoW has failed horribly, for a reason. If the gam eis just like WoW, why play it instead of WoW, where their friends/work has already been put in?

Shitty list games. Of the shitty list only WoW seems to be the obvious choice.

Batman for me half life 2 was OK. Wow is a life waster, this from a former ever crack player

I don't really believe HL2 or WoW was revolutionary but WoW changed and popularized an entire genre. FPS games would still enjoy great popularity if HL2 was never made. I don't think the same could be said about MMOs. I think they would still be very niche market games.

The list was awfully short in my opinion. I think I would vote Morrowind as game of the decade from 2003-2012. Although Shadowbane and SWG pre CU/NGE were also really enjoyable. And while I do really enjoy Diablo 3, I think it would be an honorable mention if it was released in its current state plus PvP.

I still can not fathom why Rockstar didn't bring it to pc like they did with the GTA games and others, it was imo better then GTA.

I purchased GTA4 for the 360 years ago and beat the game... then earlier this year i purchased it on a steam sale for the PC and replayed the entire game.

It was like playing a completely different game.
The gameplay experience on the PC was literally worlds better than on the 360.

It makes me sad that GTA5 is not going to be released on the PC at the same time.... this time around i will wait for the PC release.

Not gonna lie, even though I hate the game in it's current incarnation, WoW had the single biggest impact of any game in the past 10 years.

It's one of the reasons PC gaming is seeing a resurgence I'd say. It kept a lot of people buying hardware and playing on PC as consoles were waging their deadly war, purely because it was the biggest PC exclusive and it had near endless scope.

Good on Blizzard for keeping us well above water.

If you look at HL2 in terms of strictly the game itself (not the engine, Steam launching platform, etc.) I wouldn't even say it was the best Valve game over Portal 2.

However one thing over looked is HL2s influence on PC gaming through Steam. You have to remember HL2 was the "killer app" used to launch Steam essentially.

If you look at HL2 in terms of strictly the game itself (not the engine, Steam launching platform, etc.) I wouldn't even say it was the best Valve game over Portal 2.

However one thing over looked is HL2s influence on PC gaming through Steam. You have to remember HL2 was the "killer app" used to launch Steam essentially.

But even without Steam PC gaming would still be around. We would just have more and more discs until somebody else launched a great DD model.

The likelihood of any two people agreeing on the best game of the decade is so slim that it's probably not even a valuable exercise to inquire. Still, such polls probably yield interesting results.

Personally, I'd have no idea where to start. Morrowind was mentioned, and I can't think of anything I'd say is closer to "game of the decade" (in terms of "best, most enjoyable game"), but there are probably some major games I'm not even able to think of.

I don't really believe HL2 or WoW was revolutionary but WoW changed and popularized an entire genre. FPS games would still enjoy great popularity if HL2 was never made. I don't think the same could be said about MMOs. I think they would still be very niche market games.

The list was awfully short in my opinion. I think I would vote Morrowind as game of the decade from 2003-2012. Although Shadowbane and SWG pre CU/NGE were also really enjoyable. And while I do really enjoy Diablo 3, I think it would be an honorable mention if it was released in its current state plus PvP.

What did wow Change? Can you name me a single thing in WoW that wasn't in any other mmo? Just one....

It is a very popular game yes, but made the genre popular? EQ and UO did fine in their times as far as mmo's go. WoW is not the "standard" for an mmo, it's the exception. This is why so man ypeople that chased the piece of pie that WoW has failed, they don't grasp that WoW is famous because of Blizzard and it's huge fanbase in both east and west, which many publishers struggle to go well in just one.

The subscriber base before WoW is a LOT more in line with mmo's that came after WoW. It's just people can't take their eyes off of "10 million" (or whatever it's at now) and think "if we don't do that we have failed.

No game will surpass WoW, unless Blizzard makes it. If mmo developers would stop chasing that dream and realize it and simply try new things, the mmo genre might actually develop and mature more. There are a lot of us mmo players that are just plain sick and tired of that "formula" of mmo, it got a bit old in EQ's day and it's definitely gotten old a decade later, that's why so many of us were looking forward to GW2 for something new, but it wasn't a big a leap as we hoped.

But even without Steam PC gaming would still be around. We would just have more and more discs until somebody else launched a great DD model.

Well the argument isn't whether or not PC gaming would have been still around. The current PC gaming landscape however is heavily shaped by what actually happened. So in that way HL2 is rather significant game that I think will still be known as such years from now, even though I personally didn't think it was all that amazing as an actual game.

The list was awfully short in my opinion. I think I would vote Morrowind as game of the decade from 2003-2012.

I support this message. I always said that if Morrowind was made with Oblivion's graphic's engine, it would probably have changed how we see games forever. The story was so god damn kick ass. I just wish they would make a graphically updated Morrowind with more dialogue in it.

There are a few things people are confusing. A game which wasn't revolutionary or even new can still be great if it does everything well, and if its 'greater than the sum of its parts'. And a game can be considered a contender if it was extremely successful/popular and in doing so paved the way for similar games. Both of these are valid metrics.

Too often these polls devolve into 'what game did you think was the most unique/original'.

You do not understand the power of the hype side. :D

Seriously I can't understand how anyone could vote for HL2... It's not even the best grey linear boring corridor shooter...

People are missing the cultural significance of WoW. It put PC gaming into the minds of mainstream culture. The people who only thought of computer games as things mass-murderers play before shooting up schools (what an... enlightened... opinion).

It might not have changed MMO conventions that much, but it changed attitudes outside of the PC community about PC gaming.

People are missing the cultural significance of WoW. It put PC gaming into the minds of mainstream culture.

This.

And to the guy who keeps saying WoW was/is only successful because of the Blizzard fanbase -- I hadn't even HEARD of Starcraft or Diablo or Blizzard when I started playing WoW 7 years ago, on a free copy given to me by my boss at the time. None of my 10+ L friends who played WoW for 5+ years were previous Blizzard fanboys either. I'm sure the core base probably didn't hurt WoW's launch, but it certainly isn't responsible for the 10m subs still active after 7-8 years.

Besides, look at how many MMO's popped up trying to replicate what WoW did. As a single example, EA didn't sink $200m into SWTOR, hoping for Everquest's player base. I'd say that's called influence. Didn't work out so well for them, or any of the others that have tried, but perhaps that's because WoW is still being refined with new content added all the time.

That being said, for me it comes down to WoW and HL2. I can't imagine Steam would have taken off the way it did without HL2, and it is my not-so-expert opinion that Steam and Steam sales are responsible for the apparent resurgence in PC gaming.

When I think of a first person shooter campaign I really can't think of anything better than HL2.

Special recognition should go to FEAR. Those are definitely my top 2.

With all the bullshit that goes on in my life I prefer escapist games. Any games that don't take me out of reality bored me to tears. I think that's why I'm the cheerleader for payday the heist. I just love game idea of being in a bank robbers shoes.

probably third behind Half-life 2 and FEAR would be Bioshock. Bioshock really dragged me through it kicking and screaming but I found myself less into it because it just didn't have it together as well as the first two. They fumbled around in some areas.

Another game I'm sad that no one talks about is Enslaved: Odyssey to the west. Games like that get ignored despite how amazing they are in the all hype and bullshit of big name titles.

When I just think of games I really thought were great I also think of Dead Space. While not a perfect game it's the best survival horror game I've played since the early resident evil titles 1, 2 and Veronica.

I don't entirely disagree with HL2 winning. I liked the game and the impact it had on the entire gaming landscape due to being tied to Steam can not be understated, but from a pure game perspective off that list I have to vote for Shadow of the Colossus. Even with the control and frame rate problems, no game on that list surpasses the wonder, awe, and fun I had playing it. It was a masterpiece reaching a level I feel few games can. So, SOTC gets my vote.

Another game I'm sad that no one talks about is Enslaved: Odyssey to the west. Games like that get ignored despite how amazing they are in the all hype and bullshit of big name titles.

Enslaved was such a great game. I had never beaten but last weekend I was part of a stream where a guy was playing through it for the first time. Can we give it an award for having a great mindfuck/morality questioning moment?

i do not agree. HL2 was a chore and a bore to play...there were definitely much more superior games from the last decade. I most certainly didn't do any thing new, amazing, or worth note.

Only good thing from it was the engine.

ditto.
Although I wish WoW wasn't the most dominant/influential game of the past decade.

never have been able to finish HL2 tbh. Just boring and tedious. Out of that list id vote ME2, but thats only because thats not a great list imo.

I like how the negative comments about HL2 are that its a chore, yet most people voting against it are voting for WoW, lol

Mass Effect 2 is my favorite of that list, by far. I thought HL2 was pretty dull and uninspired until the Citadel level. That's the only part of the game I thought matched the excellence of the original HL.

Endless daily quests = grounds for best game of the decade, right

Yeah, because daily quests are all you do in WOW and obviously have been around for all 4 expansions... not just the last 2 right? Theres no story, leveling, raids, pvp, BGs, arenas, professions, or anything to do but dailies. The world is so small and boring too. I don't know why anyone would want to explore the 5x5 foot room that is the entire world of warcraft. right? The term "HL2 Clone" is used for every FPS to come out since too right? Wish I could say the same for "Wow clone".. that just sounds weird like its in a different language.

Last edited:
Mass Effect 2 is my favorite of that list, by far. I thought HL2 was pretty dull and uninspired until the Citadel level. That's the only part of the game I thought matched the excellence of the original HL.

I'd say the dull and uninspired label could get put on me2 just as much as HL2. HL2 at least when it was released was a bench for systems and looked great when released, it even has plot and non cheesy dialogue.

In comparison. Even when brand new all the textures in me2 look like absolute poo. All of them. The dialogue is at best linear and at worst cliche. The plot ain't that great either.

None of the Mass Effect should be in a greatest of the last decade poll. And I'm a big fan of me1 and to an extent me3.

I'd say the dull and uninspired label could get put on me2 just as much as HL2. HL2 at least when it was released was a bench for systems and looked great when released, it even has plot and non cheesy dialogue.

In comparison. Even when brand new all the textures in me2 look like absolute poo. All of them. The dialogue is at best linear and at worst cliche. The plot ain't that great either.

None of the Mass Effect should be in a greatest of the last decade poll. And I'm a big fan of me1 and to an extent me3.

Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of the series. The RPG mechanics and story aren't as good as 1 and the gunplay isn't as good as 3, but I feel 2 has the best characters and best over-all writing of the series. 1 is a chore to play with the mako and the terrible gunplay, 3 plays great but the story is a disaster and it feels really rushed.

We just have a strong disagreement here. HL2 was stuffed with ridiculously long, pointless levels that are nothing but repetitive filler crap and add nothing to the story. I don't care if a game serves as a bench tool for computer systems.

I love all 3 Mass Effect games and have spent hundreds of hours playing/replaying them. I thought ME3 was fantastic even before the revamped ending. As much as people dumped on ME3's ending, HL2's was infinitely worse. Once the extended/improved ending was introduced, ME3 vaulted to the best game of the last 5 years, IMO.

Again, we're just not going to agree on this one.

Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of the series. The RPG mechanics and story aren't as good as 1 and the gunplay isn't as good as 3, but I feel 2 has the best characters and best over-all writing of the series. 1 is a chore to play with the mako and the terrible gunplay, 3 plays great but the story is a disaster and it feels really rushed.
ME2 was excellent. It almost had the feel of The Magnificent Seven as Shepherd was putting together his team.

Last edited:
Back