Hacked Celeb Pics Made Reddit A Lot Of Cash

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this Wired article, Reddit made enough cash off those naked celebrity pics to run its servers for a month.

“If Reddit had wanted to, they could have banned us on Sunday when our traffic broke their servers,” says Menese, a 33-year old salesman at a Las Vegas call center. “Instead, they chose to milk a week of publicity and a month of server time in Reddit gold before they stepped in.” “Reddit basically stands up for free speech until it becomes inconvenient for them to do so,” he says.

He does have a point. They only pulled the subreddit once the hype was dying down and, likely, so was the ad revenue.

I'll never see the huge draw for Reddit. Seems everyone uses it nowadays. Now I see why. lol

I'm not sure how much I believe those pics were authentic, although I haven't seen them.

All hot chicks from what I understand. Not a single "Betty White, Roseann Barr, Whoppi Goldberg" pic. That makes me think they were fake...:D

I wonder if the Catholic Pope felt a disturbance in the force when so many sperm died at once.

I'm not sure how much I believe those pics were authentic, although I haven't seen them.

All hot chicks from what I understand. Not a single "Betty White, Roseann Barr, Whoppi Goldberg" pic. That makes me think they were fake...:D

Most of them were definitely real. :D

Why is this even a subject? Celebs are stupid for taking pics on a device they thought was secure when it clearly wasn't.

He does have a point. They only pulled the subreddit once the hype was dying down and, likely, so was the ad revenue.

I dunno, that could be part of it, I think also it took a little while before the Cease and Desist or we'll sue the shit out of you letters got heard.

That said, can't stand Reddit the format for how messages are posted is just not very easy to take in.

I dunno, that could be part of it, I think also it took a little while before the Cease and Desist or we'll sue the shit out of you letters got heard.

That said, can't stand Reddit the format for how messages are posted is just not very easy to take in.

Agreed. Every time I end up there it's painfully hard to read a discussion because of so many collapsed messages and the weird order in which things are posted.

I just don't get it.

So, a website took advantage of the latest sensation to make some bucks. At least they didn't twist the truth for their own agenda and over-sensationalize it like those other sites that take advantage of the latest events/sensations to make a buck ;)

Thankfully I stay away from both kinds of sites :p

In this instance, not sure what the big deal was. Naked females are one of the easiest things to find on the internet, and celebrities bodies are no different than the rest of humanity's.

I'm not sure how much I believe hockey is an actual sport, although I haven't watched any games.

I'm not sure how much I believe that computer runs Windows, although I haven't turned it on to see.

I'm not sure how much I believe those pics were authentic despite the DMCA notices and lawsuits abound, so you shouldn't even have had to worry about seeing them.

Logic. Use it.

Why is this even a subject? Celebs are stupid for taking pics on a device they thought was secure when it clearly wasn't.

You are stupid for carrying cash and/or credit cards in your wallet even though wallets are clearly not secure.

But don't let me stop you from blaming the victim, because that's always the right thing to do, since you have never been a victim or done anything stupid in your entire life.

You are stupid for carrying cash and/or credit cards in your wallet even though wallets are clearly not secure.

But don't let me stop you from blaming the victim, because that's always the right thing to do, since you have never been a victim or done anything stupid in your entire life.

Let's just end all this nonsense:

Who's the badguy? The hacker
Who could have prevented this? The victim

Tada!

Let's just end all this nonsense:

Who's the badguy? The hacker
Who could have prevented this? The victim

Tada!

Actually you don't have the full picture. From what I understand it was the icloud accounts that were hacked. Not the fault of the People who had the accounts, but the shitty protection that Apply placed on Icloud. No two factor authentication or anything of that sort. A simple brute force attack with unlimited retries is all it takes. And that is done surprisingly easy.

The Icloud service had.
1. No two factor authentication.
2. No Automatic lockout based on number of attempted logins.

This led to the brute force being EASILY done no matter how 'complex' the users password was. It would just make the brute force attack take longer.

Simply put once they discovered the user names in place it was simply a matter of time.

Still, onus is on the user to understand the security of the service they're putting naked photos of themselves on. Storing naked selfies on a service without two-factor authentication? *whistles*

I store no private content on services that don't have multi-factor authentication, and even then it's limited to documents that are encrypted. :p

Have you ever been a victim?

Yes, yes i have. And I did what most normal people do, i think, i owned up to my mistake.

I got hit by a car while riding my bike... my parents wanted to sue, but i refused because i didn't look both ways before crossing the street.

it's really just a matter of responsibility.

Actually you don't have the full picture. From what I understand it was the icloud accounts that were hacked. Not the fault of the People who had the accounts, but the shitty protection that Apply placed on Icloud. No two factor authentication or anything of that sort. A simple brute force attack with unlimited retries is all it takes. And that is done surprisingly easy.

The Icloud service had.
1. No two factor authentication.
2. No Automatic lockout based on number of attempted logins.

This led to the brute force being EASILY done no matter how 'complex' the users password was. It would just make the brute force attack take longer.

Simply put once they discovered the user names in place it was simply a matter of time.

Yea i realize this, and you're right--they should have had better security in place. Still doesn't change the fact that the victim could have prevented it. At least hopefully, this will serve as a big wake-up call to people about storing personal stuff online, and online security in general (one can hope).

But that requires common sense, which many people seem to be devoid of.

Yes, yes i have. And I did what most normal people do, i think, i owned up to my mistake.

I got hit by a car while riding my bike... my parents wanted to sue, but i refused because i didn't look both ways before crossing the street.

it's really just a matter of responsibility.

So from this, you now believe that victims are always responsible for what happened to them?

So from this, you now believe that victims are always responsible for what happened to them?

lol, give us a break. This has nothing to do with the chauvinistic and hateful argument that battered or raped women are "asking for it". Let's make this another "social justice" thread though, right?

In this case the celebs did something retarded and basically uploaded naked pictures of themselves to the internet. They uploaded them to a supposedly-secure source, which makes it slightly less retarded.

That means they share some of the responsibility, in this situation. Not really any way to argue with that.

lol, give us a break. This has nothing to do with the chauvinistic and hateful argument that battered or raped women are "asking for it". Let's make this another "social justice" thread though, right?

In this case the celebs did something retarded and basically uploaded naked pictures of themselves to the internet. They uploaded them to a supposedly-secure source, which makes it slightly less retarded.

That means they share some of the responsibility, in this situation. Not really any way to argue with that.

No, they/others took photos that their device may have automatically uploaded to the cloud. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486
he photos were subsequently deleted but not actually made "unrecoverable".

Basically apple fucked them with their loose security policies. Your victim blaming does nothing to help, how far is someone expected to go in a situation like this?

Two security flaws. The victims allowed stuff to be stored someplace with a non-zero probability of being accessed by someone else. Poor username/password/secret question selection that made it easy to sift through all their public social media and collect enough information to human engineer their access info.

There was no "hack" just goofballs with time to waste researching and brute forcing access into celebs iCloud.

One person was playing it safe, Teresa Palmer clearly was very selective about what photo's she allowed to be taken .... almost as if she was planning on them getting "exposed" at some point.

Most didn't even intend or know they loaded them onto the internet. It was the iCloud backup of their phone.

Most didn't even intend or know they loaded them onto the internet. It was the iCloud backup of their phone.

This female I know just had me check her icloud to see what was in it because she didn't even understand how/if stuff was being uploaded to it. She was right to worry though, her phone had backed up some of her stuff without her even knowing it was. Nothing bad, just unexpected.

Slightly off topic: She recently got a new iphone 5s and had all her pictures moved over from her old phone to her new phone by the people at AT&T store. She told me they transferred pictures to her new phone that she is absolutely positive she had deleted awhile back off her old phone. I didn't really have a good answer to how that could be.

Sounds to me like nothing is really deleted off of anything anymore.

Back