H60 and X6800

Master [H]

2[H]4U
So, I got a Core 2 X6800 to upgrade from my Pentium E2160. I've been running that with a Corsair H60 (first gen) and loved it.

I had to move to an MSI P965 Neo after my Asus P5B Premium went to hell. Aside from less overclock room, this was a fine set up since my grand plan of doing a major upgrade isn't happening this year.

The X6800 works fine, but I'm having a helluva time trying to get the cooling under control. I knew it was going to come with an increased temp, but I've been used to temps anywhere from 19*C to maybe 30*C when I could could push the 2160 to about 2.9GHz.

I've been playing with the waterblock mounting and have gotten the temps down to about 59-62*C, so I feel safe to leave it on versus the upper 70's I had before. Something is way fucked up, even with the MSI board seeming to overvolt a tad.

What I've tried so far:
-Removing and reinstalling the waterblock
-Tightening the mounting hardware (brace and mounting screws) as much as I can. There's a little play in the mounting screws, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I've completely removed each one and reinstalled for a better fit, but I'm still not happy with the play here.

Anyway, I can work with what it is for now, but I'm pretty sure there's something on my end or some little quirk that I'm unaware.

Sounds like a poor contact between the CPU and coldplate/pump. Because, there shouldn't any play on the pump or the mounting screws, it should be firm and shut. Try to add some washer on the backplate to compensate for that little play your are seeing on the standoff.

Have you checked the pump's rpm? It should be running around 4200rpm at all times.

Sounds like a poor contact between the CPU and coldplate/pump. Because, there shouldn't any play on the pump or the mounting screws, it should be firm and shut. Try to add some washer on the backplate to compensate for that little play your are seeing on the standoff.

Have you checked the pump's rpm? It should be running around 4200rpm at all times.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it hasn't seemed right with the play, but either end of the mounting posts wouldn't cooperate. I will need to find some tiny washers.

As for the RPM, I believe the SYS fan header I have the pump connected to is reporting between 1500-3000 RPM.

I do think the cold plate contact is the problem here as it's worked fine with my E2160 and it was only running at 65W vs 75W for the X6800, not to mention the OC I did with it and had no problems.

Okay, I just pulled off the block to look at the mounting hardware.

I found that the backplate is giving me trouble when I mount it through the motherboard. When not used with the motherboard, it and the mounting screws have no trouble coming together. For whatever reason, it gives me fits when I'm trying to mount it through the motherboard.

In the meantime, I saw the backplate for an Asus tower cooler I used at one point. It's a perfect fit for the mounting screws and gives better contact.

Still stuck at user error and possibly now, funky issues with the motherboard.

Got some washers, but I haven't installed them.

Am I correct and assuming they would go between the backplate and the motherboard?

Master [H];1040655487 said:
Got some washers, but I haven't installed them.

Am I correct and assuming they would go between the backplate and the motherboard?

That is correct. Like this

Master [H];1040637409 said:
So, I got a Core 2 X6800 to upgrade from my Pentium E2160. I've been running that with a Corsair H60 (first gen) and loved it.

I had to move to an MSI P965 Neo after my Asus P5B Premium went to hell. Aside from less overclock room, this was a fine set up since my grand plan of doing a major upgrade isn't happening this year.

The X6800 works fine, but I'm having a helluva time trying to get the cooling under control. I knew it was going to come with an increased temp, but I've been used to temps anywhere from 19*C to maybe 30*C when I could could push the 2160 to about 2.9GHz.

I've been playing with the waterblock mounting and have gotten the temps down to about 59-62*C, so I feel safe to leave it on versus the upper 70's I had before. Something is way fucked up, even with the MSI board seeming to overvolt a tad.

What I've tried so far:
-Removing and reinstalling the waterblock
-Tightening the mounting hardware (brace and mounting screws) as much as I can. There's a little play in the mounting screws, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I've completely removed each one and reinstalled for a better fit, but I'm still not happy with the play here.

Anyway, I can work with what it is for now, but I'm pretty sure there's something on my end or some little quirk that I'm unaware.

I don't know if this affects your board as well, but I had to be careful with how I oriented my H60. In one direction it would sit on the edges of the solid capacitors around my socket. Luckly for me twisting it around 90 degrees fixes the problem. This would cause your poor contact/high temps.

From one 775 user to another.

I don't know if this affects your board as well, but I had to be careful with how I oriented my H60. In one direction it would sit on the edges of the solid capacitors around my socket. Luckly for me twisting it around 90 degrees fixes the problem. This would cause your poor contact/high temps.

From one 775 user to another.

Good catch :) I didn't even notice he has a socket 775 board. This is a very good suggestion since you have socket 775 board. Rotating the pump 90° would avoid the caps around the socket creating that full contact between CPU and coldplate. This was a common issue in the past with socket 775.

I'll have to check that, but I think the orientation I used with my past set up was fine.

I would've liked to move on to something faster, but bills said otherwise, so I went with the X6800 as a compromise.

Back