H55N-USB3 mod question for a H50

Johnson184

n00b
I've seen examples done where people file the backplate into 4 small washers to mount the H50 on this mobo. I believe only one of the corners has a clearance issue. Would it be better to file around the one problematic corner or should all four corners be dealt with?

There are two corners. I clipped off the offending plastic with some nail-clippers and then filed down from there (maximum 10 minute job). No need to completely hack it up.

Another user just plastic washers. worked perfectly fine and he didn't have to ruin the backplate.

Go to home depot and buy two packs of plastic nylon washers (90cents a pack). They come with 5 in each bag. Use two on each hole and you do not need to file anything. It'll add enough clearance for you.

I don't like the washer mod. Clipping off the offending plastic only makes it consmetically bad-looking, and doesn't ruin the bracket for re-using on other systems. I ordered a spare H50 bracket for the cost of shipping in case I want to use it on another board and/or re-sell it.

By using washers on the other two holes to shimmy them up you're still putting load on the components on the orginal two holes with clearance problems when you tighten all your screws. It may not be as much stress as if you didn't use washers, but nonetheless it's still stressing them, especially if you use plastic washers over the fiber/cardboard washers that others have used.

I would rather cosmetically ruin the backplate than ruin the motherboard.

I'm not sure if it came through in my post, but I have two washers on each hole, not just the two that are affected. This distributes the stress over all areas.

I'm not sure if it came through in my post, but I have two washers on each hole, not just the two that are affected. This distributes the stress over all areas.

To me this sounds like the easiest and most simple method there is. :)

My last step... Can't figure it out. CPU fan above the h50 radiator is connected to the mobo's 3 pin CPU fan pin. Where do I connect the 3 pin pump?!

I used wire cutters and an xacto knife to cut off small bits on those two corners so they'd clear the components on the underside of the board. Took ~10 minutes.

Do you have anything connected to the motherboard's 4-pin fan header? I'd move the radiator to the 3-pin header and the fan to the 4-pin fan header.

To me this sounds like the easiest and most simple method there is. :)

If the washers are small enough to where the washers themselves are clearing the offending components, then I'd agree this is viable. One of the chips seemed a bit too close to the hole when I looked at it, but I went the easiest solution for me since the washers I have are metal and too big and I knew I could get a new bracket set for $5, which I needed anyways because one of the screws got stripped.

i have used the nylon washer and then reused the h50 bracket as well with it .

Jen

this is very soft plastic, i just took a utility knife to it and carved off the 1366 socket that was touching and i carved a nice chunk that was over another chip in the middle of the bracket, just to help with heat build up.

Can someone post (a) picture(s) to explain what you are talking about?

I am considering this exact build and would love some pointers/basic walk through.

Can someone post (a) picture(s) to explain what you are talking about?

I am considering this exact build and would love some pointers/basic walk through.

p1010416.jpg

The lower left hand corner part of the bracket shows what it looks like normally. If you do not trim the bracket, there is a chance that you can crush some of the chips on the back of the motherboard. I just used a dremel to get the above look. If you trim the bracket, I believe you lose socket 1366 compatibility. However, I heard that corsair will ship you a replacement only for the cost of shipping.

<snipped image>
The lower left hand corner part of the bracket shows what it looks like normally. If you do not trim the bracket, there is a chance that you can crush some of the chips on the back of the motherboard. I just used a dremel to get the above look. If you trim the bracket, I believe you lose socket 1366 compatibility. However, I heard that corsair will ship you a replacement only for the cost of shipping.

Thanks so much for your time. That's not nearly as bad as I thought.

When you accompany this with the possibility of a replacement bracket, I think this is the easiest solution mentioned.

Back