H55 ITX socket / heatsink clearances

bottom line is that if you want more then the stock cooler then you should probably get the DFI P55 Board. The only advantage that the rest have is they use the clarksdale graphics, & on an i3-530 at-least the stock cooler is very quiet & does not have any heat issues.

Isn't the socket backplate (the piece of metal the board comes with) thicker than the the chip? If that's the case, one can just add same thickness grommets and the tiny chips on the back are going to be safe ... no?

Anyway, I'll be installing my Zotac H55 (with stock cooler for now) today/tomorrow and might get some insight.

Yea, I can probably put some 1mm plastic washers at the points below to raise it a bit. I don't have the H55N-USB3 so I won't know if that's a good solution. I'm not even sure when the board will come out in Canada. :(

backplate.jpg

Oh so thats why Cooler Master always ships washers with their heatsinks...didn't realize that :D

Hey guys, just an update, Linus from NCIX sent me a couple of pics of an H55N to give me an idea of the clearance room.

H55Na.jpg

H55Nb.jpg

Yay! good to know. I install something to insulate it from the GPU anyway, it sits pretty close as it is

I flinched when I saw that picture. Nice job on it, looks great. :)

Does anyone think any Noctua coolers will fit on the H55N USB3?

I'm sure the U9B will fit. Not too sure about the U12B or the C12P

Kazei, is it your setup with AXP 140? I suggest you put a layer of insulator between the back of the PCI-e card and the heatpipes. My calculation showed that AXP-140 would NOT fit (by 1-2mm or so), but my mistake was that I was calculating the distance to the edge of the PCI-e slot/connector (blue thing on the board), not to the back of the board that would be inserted there (which would be closer to the center of the PCI-e slot/connector than to its edge on the CPU socket side)

Kazei, is it your setup with AXP 140? I suggest you put a layer of insulator between the back of the PCI-e card and the heatpipes. My calculation showed that AXP-140 would NOT fit (by 1-2mm or so), but my mistake was that I was calculating the distance to the edge of the PCI-e slot/connector (blue thing on the board), not to the back of the board that would be inserted there (which would be closer to the center of the PCI-e slot/connector than to its edge on the CPU socket side)

Yea it's my setup. Any suggestions as to what I can use for insulating? I was thinking electrical tape around the heatpipes or some type of thin clear plastic that I see used inside power supplies but I can't find those in hardware stores though.

Been lurking for a few days now, I'm after a SFF gaming setup, this board would seem to have better clearances, no reviews yet that I can find .

What the heck is J&W? I'll stick with a proven brand like Gigabyte. :)

You should be able to get mylar (that translucent plastic) even in Home Depot, I think.
Yea it's my setup. Any suggestions as to what I can use for insulating? I was thinking electrical tape around the heatpipes or some type of thin clear plastic that I see used inside power supplies but I can't find those in hardware stores though.

What the heck is J&W? I'll stick with a proven brand like Gigabyte. :)

A piece of that pink foam in your pic would do just fine

You should be able to get mylar (that translucent plastic) even in Home Depot, I think.

Didn't find any at Home Depot. I can probably use the clear plastic from the blister pack that my RAM came in. It's the same type of material right?

Doing some research on how the different H55 ITX sockets are aligned to get an idea of how heatsinks will fit.

Here are is an overlay of the Zotac H55, ECS H55 and Intel H57 ITX boards with socket holes labeled. Below are links to individual comparisons.

MOBO-ALL.jpg

Here's an image of the Minix H55 for comparison, on sale in August for 119.90 euros according to this shop

minixh55hdwhite.jpg

Anyone successfully mounted a scythe, axp-140, or other cooler to a zotac H55 yet? I've got one in my HTPC (Sugo SG-06) and the intel stock fan is quite noticeable, so it's time to go. I've figured out a way to modify the case to accept a Corsair H50, but don't want to have to buy one if there's a quiet air alternative (the H50 seems like massive overkill for an i3-530, lol).

Thats what I was thinking too. I refuse to pay for an OEM hsf so Ill just see what I can do when this GemII shows up.

Somebody sell me a frakin axp140...

Back