[H] users 7970 Overclock Results thread

I wonder if I found a gem or a good card? The first Asus HD 7970 I bought has a ASIC quality of 68.9% that does not do 1300mhz on the core at all and maxes out at 1225mhz even with 1.3V. On the other hand, my second HD 7970 that has an ASIC quality of 83.8% does 1300mhz @ 1.225.

woot! my 7970 is now on water. idling at 32 Celsius. haven't done any benchmarking yet. I just booted up a few minutes ago.

after about 8 minutes of heaven it got up to 45c. It would probably get a bit warmer than that if I let it keep running until the water temp stabilized. I'm using a 2x120 radiator with fans on medium. room temp is about 78 F.
1125 core
1575 mem
1.2v

Using afterburner. How do I unlock higher clocks? I know I read it earlier in the thread but I don't want to read through 400 posts.

after about 8 minutes of heaven it got up to 45c. It would probably get a bit warmer than that if I let it keep running until the water temp stabilized. I'm using a 2x120 radiator with fans on medium. room temp is about 78 F.
1125 core
1575 mem
1.2v

Using afterburner. How do I unlock higher clocks? I know I read it earlier in the thread but I don't want to read through 400 posts.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

After 25 minutes of heaven core temp reached 50C. Turned 1 fan up to high and 5 minutes later it was at 45c.

Thank rivaltr - gonna experiment now to see how far it'll go.

Whelp, I think the whole "quality" % is a bunch of hooey. I just put my 84% quality card through the ringer and it sucks compared to my 73% card. My 73% card runs cooler and has zero artifacts at 1300 MHz on air. Just set it at 1.30v and off you go.

The 84% quality card ran hotter and at 1300Mhz would artifact so bad it would induce epilepsy. I tested all the way up and down the voltage range with the 84% and it's a complete no-go versus the 73%. Off to Ebay you go 84%!

ok, after over an hour of benchmarking Heaven (starting to hate that thing) I got stable up to:

1.25v
1200 core - 1225 artifacts no matter what voltage.
1790 mem :eek: < the highest the slider would go.

yes, the 1790 is correct - no throttling. I went up in 25mhz increments over about 10 runs and my benchmark score went up every time.

on water - EK fullcover block. max core temp was 50c. I didn't exit the benchmark between runs so the water wasn't able to cool down.

Last edited:
That stinks some of you guys are only getting 1200 or below on water.

That stinks some of you guys are only getting 1200 or below on water.

yea, especially when I see a few people hitting 1300 on air. Guess it's a limit of the gpu because it's not temps. I just glanced back through the thread and didn't notice anyone on air get above 1650 on mem.

Now I'm wondering what program people use to get above 1790 ram. My slider is maxed out.

yea, especially when I see a few people hitting 1300 on air. Guess it's a limit of the gpu because it's not temps. I just glanced back through the thread and didn't notice anyone on air get above 1650 on mem.

Now I'm wondering what program people use to get above 1790 ram. My slider is maxed out.

My card on air does 1300 core/1790 mem (maxed out afterburner). I only top out at 63C on air so my temps stay very comfortable for me at 1.3v.

My card on air does 1300 core/1790 mem (maxed out afterburner). I only top out at 63C on air so my temps stay very comfortable for me at 1.3v.

63c on AIR at those overclocks? Where do you live, the arctic? That is extremely unusual...

edit:

ahh i see you run the fan at 100% but still.. wow. What is ambient temp?

63c on AIR at those overclocks? Where do you live, the arctic? That is extremely unusual...

edit:

ahh i see you run the fan at 100% but still.. wow. What is ambient temp?

Ambient temp isn't anything special, ~70F. AMD did really good with this reference cooler. Although it is loud, I think it will be hard to beat for aftermarket fan setups. I prefer the suck in the case and spit heat out the back design of stock coolers.

Also, you must have power-tune set to +20% or your card will be TDP throttled no matter what over-clock tool you use. It might not happen during regular games but it will happen under heavy load. MSI Afterburner will not show the quick cycling of the clocks as it gets throttled, you need GPU-Z for that. My OCCT FPS was dropping down to around ~300 without power-tune and stayed around ~500 with power-tune at 20%. My core clocks were dropping as low as 700MHz without power-tune at 20%. MSI Afterburner does not interfere with power-tune and you can still set your clocks higher than 1125.

If your card is a 1.05v card, then you shouldn't need to go as high as 1.175v to max CCC. I think I maxed CCC with 1.1v...:confused:
:D

I did the same, max'd CCC with 1.1v

at first I set it for 1.175 before reading your post, and kept knocking down voltage. lowered my loaded temp's by 5-6c or so :D

Sapphire 7970 stock voltage 1125 core, 1500 ram, (basically maxed sliders) max temp about 80c with fan at 39% (auto-fan settings in Afterburner). Played SWTOR for hours with 95%+ utilization with no hitches.

XFX 7970 BEDD

Core: 1125
Memory: 1600
Volts: 1.17

Heaven: 642
Max: 57.8
Min: 15.0

Temp: ~72 C

I pushed the core up to 1150 and ran the benchmark, it started artifacting on the desktop afterwards. The heaven bench came back at 650, so I said the hell with that. I could probably squeeze more out of the core through volts, but during the run at 1150 it was already pushing ~76 C, so I think I'm pretty happy. Maybe I'll go water in the not too distant future.

I run my fans at 1:1 from 30* to 80*, then from 80* to 90* they scale from 80% to 100%. it idles around 50* in my Silverstone FT02, which is pretty quiet compared to my XFX 5970 BE. The fan noise is more "static" with the 7970 BEDD while the 5970 was a "whooosh" sound.

I'm using TRIXX to set core/memory/volts, and afterburner with everything but monitoring disabled to view status (I have a custom Logitech G19 profile that polls and graphs the Afterburner statistics realtime).

Finally getting around to stressing it, running Heaven Benchmark.

Currently at 1200 core 1700 memory at 1170 V in Trixx.
GPU-Z says my core volts are sitting around 1.05 - 1.14, depending on load.
It hit 80C, but it's bearable. I didn't think it would go quite this high to be honest.
These cards really are impressive.

Yeah, the Heaven score keeps climbing a little at a time.

Last edited:
Currently at 1200 core 1700 memory at 1170 V in Trixx.
GPU-Z says my core volts are sitting around 1.05 - 1.14, depending on load.
It hit 80C, but it's bearable. I didn't think it would go quite this high to be honest.
These cards really are impressive.

what fan speed?

I have it set 1:1 up to 80C, so it sits at 50C/50% fan, up to 80C/80% It seems to be the "magic" number, as it hasn't exceeded 80C yet. From 80-90C it scales up 2:1, so 81C/82% fan and 90C/100% fan.

I have it set 1:1 up to 80C, so it sits at 50C/50% fan, up to 80C/80% It seems to be the "magic" number, as it hasn't exceeded 80C yet. From 80-90C it scales up 2:1, so 81C/82% fan and 90C/100% fan.

Actually this made me think about it more carefully, and I just modified it in Trixx to:
7970-FanScale.png

Thanks robble! :D

For those having trouble overclocking: something is wonky with AB... I was not able to hit higher speeds even when increasing voltage. It's almost like the voltage settings had no effect, even though the monitor clearly showed an increase.

So I just tried Trixx and was able to hit 1150MHz at 1.25v. Haven't tried going past that, yet. My card does 1075MHz at stock 1.17v. Not really sure the increase is worth the extra heat, but at least I now know I can reach higher speeds.

1200/1625 with MSI Afterburner @ 1.193v, 60% fan speed.

Max temps about 73C

79.5% quality Sapphire reference card.

Actually this made me think about it more carefully, and I just modified it in Trixx to:
7970-FanScale.png

Thanks robble! :D

^^^ I think the custom fan profile is probably one of the vital and most often overlooked steps when overclocking the GPU.

^^^ I think the custom fan profile is probably one of the vital and most often overlooked steps when overclocking the GPU.

very true although I wonder how much good incrementally changing the fan speed between 55 and 75 actually does. How often is a vid card in that temp range? I guess you'll hear it ramp up on it's way to 80 and makes for a pretty graph. Perhaps some scientist/engineer type could figure out an optimal fan profile. I'd like my radiator fans to be able to auto ramp based on temp. I have a manual fan controller now.

very true although I wonder how much good incrementally changing the fan speed between 55 and 75 actually does. How often is a vid card in that temp range? I guess you'll hear it ramp up on it's way to 80 and makes for a pretty graph. Perhaps some scientist/engineer type could figure out an optimal fan profile. I'd like my radiator fans to be able to auto ramp based on temp. I have a manual fan controller now.

I think it does a great deal of good in that range. IMHO the stock profiles allow too much heat for the sake of fan noise which is why they need to ramp up so fast over 70c or so. IMHO by that time it's too late when overclocking. The stock vapor chamber is not bad at all with a decent TIM application. But if the fan spins up too slowly it simply cannot dump enough wattage before the card overheats.

Well my asus 7970 gets to 90c when playing games. Got lots of air flow. I used to have it in an Antec 900 and now in the Corsair 600T and the temps are the exact same :( Any way to fix this problem (not gunna water cool)

Well my asus 7970 gets to 90c when playing games. Got lots of air flow. I used to have it in an Antec 900 and now in the Corsair 600T and the temps are the exact same :( Any way to fix this problem (not gunna water cool)
Re-apply the thermal paste.

you honestly think that will help that much? I have it set to auto fan. I tried that fan profile posted above and now my temps are 65c but my GF hates the noise :( There must be another way to cool this thing down. If not, im gunna sell it and wait for a non reference card to come out :(

you honestly think that will help that much? I have it set to auto fan. I tried that fan profile posted above and now my temps are 65c but my GF hates the noise :( There must be another way to cool this thing down. If not, im gunna sell it and wait for a non reference card to come out :(
There aren't that many variables in the system. You have a chip, a heatsink, and the sink (air). These chips are designed to run at 90C as to minimize noise, so if your overclock isn't hindered at all, let it be, it's fine. If you do want to get temps lower to stabilize an overclock, you can either increase the sink (i.e., run more air over the fins by increasing the speed of the fan) or better the thermal connection between the GPU and the heatsink by replacing the TIM (better compound + better application for a combined improvement there). You can also define your own fan profile that gets the temps lower, but keeps the fan at an acceptable level. Again though, if you simply want to lower temperatures because you think 90C is too high, it's not.

I just ran my ASIC quality check and got 77.1%, yet I can still run 1340/1775MHz on this thing. I've seen few cards clock higher on water. Thoughts?

Never run auto-fan settings IMO when you are overclocking. Those fan speeds are far to low to deal with the increase in temperatures. Also, don't forget to turn on power-tune to 20% no matter which utility you are using to overclock.

the 600t have the window? or mesh with fans.

Vega,
does +20% power-tune increase temps? A lot of people are on the fence on the usage of power-tune as I'm sure you've read in OCN forums. A lot are against it, a lot are for it. When I had it enabled, it was hitting 80c quite often, when I had it disabled, it was under 75c. I only tested it for a little bit so I'm not sure if it was just that specific time I was testing it.

Vega,
does +20% power-tune increase temps? A lot of people are on the fence on the usage of power-tune as I'm sure you've read in OCN forums. A lot are against it, a lot are for it. When I had it enabled, it was hitting 80c quite often, when I had it disabled, it was under 75c. I only tested it for a little bit so I'm not sure if it was just that specific time I was testing it.
Power tune throttles the card to operate under a certain power consumption limit. If your temps are going down, it's because the card is throttling and you are losing performance. It depends on how much that performance means to you.

Power tune throttles the card to operate under a certain power consumption limit. If your temps are going down, it's because the card is throttling and you are losing performance. It depends on how much that performance means to you.

Exactly. The extra heat is coming from better performance not just from simply enabling power-tune. It is worth it because even small fluctuations in core MHz can cause issues in games, especially in crossfire. Simply playing Metro2033 I've noticed my core Mhz dropping down with power-tune off. Turning it on made that all go away. Remember games will not get your card anywhere near as hot as running something like Furmark or OCCT.

Whelp, I think the whole "quality" % is a bunch of hooey. I just put my 84% quality card through the ringer and it sucks compared to my 73% card. My 73% card runs cooler and has zero artifacts at 1300 MHz on air. Just set it at 1.30v and off you go.

The 84% quality card ran hotter and at 1300Mhz would artifact so bad it would induce epilepsy. I tested all the way up and down the voltage range with the 84% and it's a complete no-go versus the 73%. Off to Ebay you go 84%!

I agree, from what I am reading and actually seeing with my card the quality labeling is either ass backwards or just bullshit.

Back