[H] AMD Mafia

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

First I want to thank everyone who helped us during the Birthday Challenge. We took 4th place in that event. It was some tough contenders. For the last World Community Grid event we expect to take 2nd, but we really want to push for 1st so we need everyone's help. Especially those Thread Ripper rigs and Ryzen setups as they generate some real nice numbers for cheap.

This event lasts from December 1st till December 25th. Team China is our biggest competitor so get everything you can running. Tables, phones, laptops, desktops, servers, you name it load it up!

If you already know how to run WCG, then load it up and join the team. HardOCP is the team name.

If you are new then follow the simple steps below:

Register an account here:
https://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=993628&teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1

Download this: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php - Download BOINC (9.56 MB)

Install.

When it asks you to add a project search for WorldCommunityGrid. Sign in using your USERNAME and password you signed up with on the link above.

Let it calculate how many cores you have and how fast they are. WU's should begin downloading.

If you have any questions ask here or take a visit to our official DC Sub forum here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/wcg-13th-annual-2017-birthday-challenge.1945559/

Last edited by a moderator:
Why only AMD guys? I might have missed the reason as I cannot click any of those links at work.

Intel guys can join, too. This is just the AMD CPU forum so I figured I'd address them directly. The new TR and Ryzen CPUs rock on WCG though. Our 2nd highest producer runs 3x TR setups.

For you to move up to first how many i7 level systems would it take?

A lot of i7 systems. Probably 200+. A quad core i7 does around 50k PPD.

We are 26,788,866 points behind first place at the time of this post. That would mean 533 i7 systems that produce 50k PPD would cover that ground in 1 day. 4 days left..

You gonna get your i7 on it? :)

I’ll put a 3779 4770 and a 4790. If I had know yesterday I would have put the new blade at work on it. 24c 48t Xeon, would have been a good burn in for it.

I’ll put a 3779 4770 and a 4790. If I had know yesterday I would have put the new blade at work on it. 24c 48t Xeon, would have been a good burn in for it.

Load it up Monday when you go back.

Looks like we are gonna drop to 5th place in the next hour update.

7.jpg

So, since it's warm in Texas... how would a 6700k, 8700k (yet to fire up!), and maybe a couple quad-core laptops help?

I'm not big on doing this kind of stuff long-term, but I wouldn't mind knocking Team China off the top spot :D

It would help us a lot for sure. Not sure we can catch Team China, but we certainly could stay ahead of Planet 3DNow! with a few more rigs going online.

My Ryzen 5 2500U laptop running ~4 cores (out of 8) does around 20k points per day (PPD) to give you a comparison on laptop output.
My H TPC i5 2400 does 22k PPD, but that's on just 3 cores most of the time.

My Phone (6-core LG V20) does 3k points per day.
My tablet LG-VK700 does around 3k points per day also.

Why not run them full-out, just asking? Would there be a reason for me not to for the duration of the contest?

My laptop can't handle the cooling with all 8 threads running. It's a slim design laptop with a tiny fan for cooling.
My HTPC runs a GPU project on it also that sometimes takes up a full core when running. GPUGrid usually requires 1CPU per GPU and Einstein@Home sometimes takes a full CPU for the GPU project also.

We also gained a few points on them this last hour update.
8.jpg

started it back up for the challenge, lets see how it goes with the r5 1600. not bad, sitting at 68C with the stock cooler only goes up to 70C when the heater turns on..

Last edited:
An R5 1600 should do fairly well. Hopefully it will help us reclaim 4th place since we just lost it on this last hour update.

9.jpg

Joined up yesterday. Interesting program, it was amusing that I was fine playing VR games while it ran with no impact in the games I played with threadripper when using the standard settings. :)

For the most part the BOINC manager will give priority to other programs trying to use the CPU. Thanks for joining.

A couple of us have been working behind the scenes doing some tricks to increase our output. We just put that effort into motion this last hour and we're now 2.3 million points ahead of 5th place! Congrats to all who have also joined us recently. Still got a long ways to go.
10.jpg

It would help us a lot for sure. Not sure we can catch Team China, but we certainly could stay ahead of Planet 3DNow! with a few more rigs going online.

My Ryzen 5 2500U laptop running ~4 cores (out of 8) does around 20k points per day (PPD) to give you a comparison on laptop output.
My H TPC i5 2400 does 22k PPD, but that's on just 3 cores most of the time.

My Phone (6-core LG V20) does 3k points per day.
My tablet LG-VK700 does around 3k points per day also.

Yea no way we will catch up with team China. We might be able to stay ahead of planet3d. I've thrown both my 7800x (4.6) and my intel 1505mv6 (3.6) laptop at this. Skillz I expect a decent review of the Ryzen 5 2500 when this is all over. lol.

What name did you register with thecold ? I'm not seeing thecold in the team list anywhere.

edit
Unless your name is thecoldanddarkone

i'm kinda surprised how well the r5 1600 is doing but then again i remember when i use to run this crap on a phenom II 940 and an old athlon x2 6400+ years ago, lol. use take 3-5 hours per project compared to the 1-2 hours it's taking on this.

Ok so I am giving it a go with a [email protected].

Doesn't seem all that taxing. Not getting above 40C and @~60% on all cores.

just let it run full out(options/computing preferences), you won't even notice it running in the background. been playing games all night and haven't had any issues but if you do you can just pause it. you can also set it to auto pause if another program uses more than a specified amount of the processor.

just let it run full out(options/computing preferences), you won't even notice it running in the background. been playing games all night and haven't had any issues but if you do you can just pause it. you can also set it to auto pause if another program uses more than a specified amount of the processor.
Lol. Found that out after I got back from working out. Set to 100% and still only gets to 58C. Oh and Win10 updates are really screwing with my OCs. Every update resets my OC to stock so originally BOINC was running at only 3.7Ghz. Now at 4.0Ghz and flying now.

Anyone know if a 1366 platform is worth running over time? Have an X5675 that should be able to setup at 4Ghz.

It should run really well still. I have a few Sandy Bridge CPUs that still put out great numbers as well as some older AMD CPUs 61xx and 62xx that put up damn good numbers for me still.

im building right now a new ryzen 1800x machine to replace one of the older 3930k machines.. as soon as I finish the building process and overclock process i'll join to the other 2 i7s added.. =)

received_1948561565397422.jpeg

Heck yeah!

Our current daily stats for the project. Still got a long way to go in the day.
top88.jpg

Current standings in the challenge.
12.jpg

Just registered :)
Sorry, AMD boxes busy. But this box is (was) idle, will let it run at 24 threads, a bit downclocked, for a couple of days. :)

Awesome! Wish those AMD boxes could wait to do whatever they're doing till Thursday! We are creeping so close to 3rd place now.

Just had a 2.2M point update getting us that much closer to 3rd.
13.jpg

I joined at ~0300 EST this morning, but I am not 100% sure my contributions are getting to you guys. There was a fair amount of guesswork involved in getting this set up. I should be under 'mvmiller12' - can you verify I am in and contributing?

Ryzen R7 1700 OC to 3.8GHz, RAM at 3200 here. Client says I have done 1,495 "work" over the last 8 hours - is this good?

Yes you are right here and contributing.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewMemberInfo.do?userName=mvmiller12

You can also click here after logging in and see you're on our team.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do

Your stats should update at 7PM EST. WCG only updates stats twice a day. 7AM and 7PM EST.

You can also see your stats on third party stats sites like this one:
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=bwcg&name=1054251

They're updated a little more often than twice a day. However, do note that the third party sites use BOINC points. 1 BOINC point = 7 WCG points. So if you're using a third party site multiple the numbers by 7 to get your WCG points.

Also, welcome to the team.

Yes you are right here and contributing.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewMemberInfo.do?userName=mvmiller12

You can also click here after logging in and see you're on our team.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do

Your stats should update at 7PM EST. WCG only updates stats twice a day. 7AM and 7PM EST.

You can also see your stats on third party stats sites like this one:
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=bwcg&name=1054251

They're updated a little more often than twice a day. However, do note that the third party sites use BOINC points. 1 BOINC point = 7 WCG points. So if you're using a third party site multiple the numbers by 7 to get your WCG points.

Also, welcome to the team.

Thank you, and good to know.

Not too bad. Averaging 170 W on CPU according to HWiNFO, so about 6 hours per Kwh. And oddly enough Didn't heat my room up much, in this case make the air-conditioner cut on more (computer in an air-conditioned case).

I use my setup(s) to heat my house. It's around 50F outside, but my boxen is keeping my 2 story house around 71F indoors as of right now. It'll probably drop into the 30s again tonight and the indoor temp will probably dip to around 66F. Its always a couple degrees warmer upstairs because you know, heat rises and all that.

Thumper0
I just switched teams. I'm not using an amd server though. Just an old intel. Hah.

Back