Guitar Hero II

figgie

Supreme [H]ardness
I played Guitar Hero one and was looking forward to GH II.

Just played a demo of GH II at best buy. They definetly stuck with the old heavy metal stuff :)

Anthrax: Madhouse
Van Halen: You really got me
Megadeth : Hangar 18
Black Sabbath: War Pigs
Motley Crue: Shout at the devil
Lynryrd Skynryd: Freebird (not sure why they put it as a Face melter but we will see)
Danzig: Mother
Warrant: Cherry Pie
Guns & Roses: Sweet child O Mine

Antrhax is fun as hell on expert! :D

u think its worth buying i never bought the first guitar hero but played it and it was fun.

zman099 said:
u think its worth buying i never bought the first guitar hero but played it and it was fun.

Most definitely. The 2nd one has practice mode and a lot of songs, most of which are just plain awesome.

Oh, and Trogdor... :D

I just played Guitar Hero for the first time a few nights ago... made up my mind right there that I'll be getting the 2nd one.

Lynryrd Skynryd: Freebird (not sure why they put it as a Face melter but we will see)

probably cuz its 9+ minutes and 3 solos?

I like that the songs are actually the artists recordings instead of a cover band.There is a Spinal Tap song on it as well , Tonight I'm Gonna Rock It , I believe. I also heard that another Pantera song has made the list The Art of Shredding. That is a true face melter.

Dethklok has a song in the game, now thats just awesome....

(its one of the bonus/hidden ones)

oh and if you don't know who Dethklok is, watch Adult Swim at 11:45pm on Sunday :D

Pre-ordered, and just have to wait for EB to call. I am on vacation for 3 weeks, so it's gonna be fun.

i just got back from spending an hour playing this at best buy :p luckally the store was pretty much empty so i got to play all the songs i wanted. I played all 10 that they had in the demo. I was expecting them to be a lot harder than they were, i could pass all of them on expert without much trouble, other than psychobilly freakout. That song was harder on "hard" mode than any of the others were on "expert" by quite a lot. I failed it on expert after 10 percent and i'm pretty sure i passed it on hard but i don't quite remember.

I thought rush - yyz was the most fun song on the demo, and i love rush so that's cool. The song, paper heart something by stone temple pilots was my least favorite song on there but playing it was actually one of the most fun, it just sucks that i don't really like the song. van halen, anthrax, sabbath were all super fun, i can't wait till the game comes out next week :p

they have John the Fisherman (Primus), YYZ (Rush), and Psychobilly Freakout (RHH)

i would buy it if i had my PS2

omg ...freebird is gonna give me carpil tunnel (sp?) forsure. I cant wait till I pick my copy up.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Am I the only one who finds this game extremely annoying?
Going by the posts in the thread, you're the first. :D

I'll go check it out tomorrow while the wife is shopping. Played a bunch at the past E3, and wanted more since then. I still have 3 more songs to finish on GH1 on expert... I wish they did some sort of dual pack, or have all the songs on one DVD.

I don't understand this game at all. I like rhythm and music games, and kooky controllers as much as the next guy (Samba de amigo, donkey konga, space channel 5, soon to be elite beat agents for DS, but I don't like DDR...) but why not just play a REAL guitar. I mean for the $70 or so dollars the game costs you could buy a cheap-o electric guitar. For all the effort some people put into this game, they could be learning real guitar skills. There are many programs on the computer (powertab and guitar pro) that have the music (and any music you could ever think of!) tabbed about and you can play along with following the notes on the screen. Plus chicks dig guitars, not plastic video game ones. To anybody who has played real guitar, I don't see how there is any appeal to this game.

This game is EXTREMELY addictive, my gf is obsessed with it after playing at a friends place a few months ago we picked up a copy of our own and now everytime someone comes to our house we make them play it and they get addicted. Even people that play guitart already get very much into this game and girls play almost as much as the guys do because you can jsut pick it up and belt out a song right then and there (on easy mode).

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I don't understand this game at all. I like rhythm and music games, and kooky controllers as much as the next guy (Samba de amigo, donkey konga, space channel 5, soon to be elite beat agents for DS, but I don't like DDR...) but why not just play a REAL guitar. I mean for the $70 or so dollars the game costs you could buy a cheap-o electric guitar. For all the effort some people put into this game, they could be learning real guitar skills. There are many programs on the computer (powertab and guitar pro) that have the music (and any music you could ever think of!) tabbed about and you can play along with following the notes on the screen. Plus chicks dig guitars, not plastic video game ones. To anybody who has played real guitar, I don't see how there is any appeal to this game.

I've played real guitar for 9 years, and after buying GH, I was immediately addicted. It's just, for lack of a better word, fun. You should really try it, real guitar player or not.

I'll definitely buy GH2.

Oh and by the way, whoever said they have the real artist's songs in these games was wrong. They use a very very good cover band.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I know what you mean, instead of a $200 HOTAS flight stick, I could have got a real F-16, and blew the crap outta things. Thanks for being the light in my dark world. And instead of driving a Subaru in Need for Speed, I should have went out and got one... wait.. I do own a Subie.

We have tons of guitar players on the team and they love this game.

Is it me, or are people ( guitar players ) getting offended at the sight/thought of a guitar game that's a lot of fun? That's all I see on the boards. We all knew playing guitar was easy, and RedOctane exposed them for the scamers they are. I mean, if a guy can play with is freakin' feet, c'mon.

Why not just play REAL bongo's? Hell, you're playing Samba and can't make the scratch to buy REAL maracas and a few CD's and shake the night away? No rythym to actually dance so you play Space Channel 5 instead?

I thought this was a GAME?

<-- used to play guitar

I like it because it is fun as hell. Basically the evolution of Simon Says at a bit faster pace ;)

btw I know freebird (the real chops) and sorry dude. 8-10 minutes still not that hard. Now with 5 buttons all bets are off.

btw

RedOctane is working on trying to get SLAYER in GH III :) So far the record label has NIXED the idea for the last two :/

War Ensemble FTMFW!!

Lamont, gimme a break.

Most people don't have the ability to fly a real F-16, so the flight stick makes sense.

Most people can't afford super cars, the wheel makes sense.

Maracas and bongos are simple percussion instruments a 10 year old could master, and putting them in a game makes it entertaining.

I like space channel 5, because I liked simon as a kid, and it's basically the same thing. It has nothing to do with dancing as far as I'm concerned.

Everybody who buys guitar hero has the ability to go to the store and buy a cheap guitar and amp. You don't have to go out side, you don't even have to leave your room, just like the game. Very different from your examples.

Guitar hero is a gimped key-tar as far as I'm concerned. There is no difference between this game, and playing guitar along with a song(mp3, cd, radio, what not). There you can play along with the real music. The only difference between the real life and the game is that there is not a tracker for how many times you fudge up. When you learn real guitar, you learn something that will stay with you through life, Guitar hero, i think not.

Just my oppinion. BTW, why would I, a so called 'real' guitar player, be offended by people thinking this game is fun? I'm just confused as to why people would choose to go for a cheap simulation when the real thing is right there. Who are the ladies more likely to be attracted to, a person who plays videogame guitar, or real? I'll let them be the judge...

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Lamont, gimme a break.
No ;)
ScreamingBroccoli said:
Just my oppinion. BTW, why would I, a so called 'real' guitar player, be offended by people thinking this game is fun? Who are the ladies more likely to be attracted to, a person who plays videogame guitar, or real? I'll let them be the judge...
You're right. Here I am using good looks and charm like a sucker.

I seriously doubt a GH player is going to clubs/bars to play a few sets, on a tour bus opening for a band at the state fair, or setting up on a street corner to get spare change. :rolleyes: We chill with our GF/Wives and play the game.

Arguing over which one is more "fun" is stupid. I just want to stress that playing the game is ok and no one will call you a pussy.

I've always wanted to learn to play real guitar, i just never really took the time to do it. After having guitar hero for however long it's been out and still playing it weekly at least now, i've been really into guitar stuff. So i actually went out and bought a fender stratocaster last weekend and started learning real guitar. Guitar hero wasn't the reason i wanted to learn to play, but i think it may have pushed me over the edge to actually buy a guitar and take the time to learn it. Both are very fun, but real guitar takes longer to start out with :D

sitheris said:
Oh and by the way, whoever said they have the real artist's songs in these games was wrong. They use a very very good cover band.

You're right, but I remember reading somewhere that Primus actually recorded their song for the game?

I would've prefered they put My Name is Mud on there thoughl.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Who are the ladies more likely to be attracted to, a person who plays videogame guitar, or real? I'll let them be the judge...
The day I play video games to try and attract women is the day I shoot myself in the face.

I've been playing guitar for a very long time, and I can play pretty much every song GH 1 had to offer. That doesn't keep me from sitting around with 3-4 friends and battling it out on the TV screen drunk and laughing our asses off.

Stop trying to prove you're cooler than "that video game kid".

ScreamingBroccoli said:

I don't understand guitar players at all. I like music and instruments as much as the next guy (guitar, keyboards, brass). But why not learn to read real music? I mean, for the $70 you spend on books on how to read tabs and the time you invest in learning tabs, you could learn how to read real music! There are many programs on the computer that teach you how to read real music and how to transpose so you don't have to use cappos! They can even teach you how to listen so you can harmonize vocally and play songs without using sheet music! Plus, chicks dig it when you can play any song you want for them without having to look up the tabs on the internet. To anybody who's used real music, I don't see how there is any appeal to tabulature.

As someone who uses tabs, I would think you would appreciate the instant gratification and fun that Guitar Hero provides. You pick it up, you play it. There's no "figuring out". There's no muscle memory, no etudes you have to study and work on to get your dexterity up there. Its:

E B C# A E B C# A

In Guitar hero, you have colors. Heck, there are more buttons on the plastic guitar then there are chords in most alternative rock song's progressions.

Can you and one totally random friend jam together? Its an incredibly fun and rewarding activity, but a lot of people don't have a drop of musical ability.

and if you're referring to tabs that have the fret board on them...

Spend your time learning your chords before you spend your time knockin' a game.

I don't know, I just did not get a very good impression about of guitar hero. I go to RIT, which unfourtunately, is super nerd city. When we had orientation, they set up one of the gym w/ various activities, there were physical challenges and then there was guitar hero. Guitar Hero most definately attracted the scariest looking crowd. Take all the people playing that, put them in a dark room and I think they would glow, I shit you not (they were that white at the end of summer!). I never said GH wasn't fun, it's just that the alternative is just as fun and more beneficial.

Wait, are you knocking me for using tabs, the most readily available form of music for me to find, as well as the fact that it's free? I do know how to read music, I used to play piano. I know a lot of chords, and I know the theory behind how they are formed and such. If you don't see the benefit of tablature there is some problem. All of the guitar programs can print and be written in what you call 'real' music. Muscle memory comes from repeatedly doing something, not reading music.

I never said the game was stupid, dumb, unfun, or pointless... all I said was that I don't understand the appeal

ScreamingBroccoli, I know you'll like it man. Just go borrow it.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Wait, are you knocking me for using tabs, the most readily available form of music for me to find, as well as the fact that it's free? I do know how to read music, I used to play piano. I know a lot of chords, and I know the theory behind how they are formed and such. If you don't see the benefit of tablature there is some problem. All of the guitar programs can print and be written in what you call 'real' music. Muscle memory comes from repeatedly doing something, not reading music.

I never said the game was stupid, dumb, unfun, or pointless... all I said was that I don't understand the appeal

Most modern alternative music is simple enough that 30 minutes at your guitar is all you'd need to figure out a song. Wouldn't it be more... fufilling and enjoyable to figure it out on your own then download it and have fun right away? Programs to convert online guitar tabs to "real" music? Nah, I can play the guitar, trumpet, or piano off those tabs, since I learned the fret board, in any key, without the use of a cappo. Why would you spend time learning how to play Sum 41, Blink 182, Metallica, Megadeth, etc, when you could be using that time to learn how to play Pagganini? I could go on like this for a while using your logic.

Not knocking you for using tabs, but its the same thing. You're doing something that's enjoyable, but there's always one more step you can take to make it more challenging, more enriching, and more... rewarding. Its the level of dedication you're willing to make that determines how far you're going to go.

I do the same thing all the time on the piano with pop music. I know how the song goes and if someone wants me to play it, I'll hunt down the guitar tabs online and just... play it. It requires 0 practice, and I could play like that all day long and have a lot more "fun" than playing etudes for 45 minutes, sight reading for an hour, and then playing what I want to play. Does the later make me a much better piano player? Yeah. Is it fun? No. Its frustrating trying to get your hands to sync. Its frustrating trying to make out notation, or seeing where one part in 4 lines up with the other part that's in 3.

If I had tabs for say... Moonlight Sonota, I could play it a lot easier than if I had to read the sheet music for it. I'm the last person to be knockin' on someone who uses tabs, as my prefered method for playing is fake books and figured bass.

Which is what Guitar hero is, in a way.

Its musical instant gratification. Most people don't want to invest time into learning how to play an instrument. You pick up guitar hero, and what would take you a good chunk of time to learn on your own, you're "doing" instantly. With all the difficulty levels, the game's never inaccessible, and yet, there's always a challenge to be had that always seems beatable. Its a giant carrot on a stick.

It sounds like you made judgement on the game based on the fact that some really gross people were playing it. Well, try it, in secret in your dorm. Its really fun, even if you play an instrument. its not an "instrument simulator"

As for muscle memory and music, they kinda go hand in hand. Take a song you know well. You can play it flawlessly on the guitar. Without thinking about it, without making the chords with your fingers on an air guitar, name the notes. You should be able to spit them all out perfectly if you commit the song itself to memory. If you have to stop and think about it, chances are, there's muscle memory involved. You're trying to think of what position your hand is in at that moment in time. Well, at least for me, there's muscle memory involved. I can't think of the notes when I'm trying to run 32nd note hextouplets, I just have to play them, or skip them, or simplify the run.

Um... yeah, so I rambled a bit. I'm quite bored at work.

Cliff notes:

Guitar Hero is fun, regardless of your musical skill level. Its like playing air-instrument, but with a score. If you made your judgement on the game based on scary, smelly long haired D&D kids, then you might just be missing out on a really good time.

And, its really funny to watch drunk kids fail songs on medium. :(

Yea I play real guitar as well but still cant shred cowboys from hell like I can on geetar hero. I got all my band buddies over to play vs mode .There was 15 dudes fighting over who was gonna play next and our girls were throwing their bras at us while we played.lol Very fun night and nobody got hit with a beer bottle. But nothing can compare to the feeling of a live show though. :cool:

tabs :eek:

wow......I myself always read notes and sight reading. Now I am rusty as hell and could not do it at speed. But before I could sight read at tempo.

Villa Lobos Etudes where my mainstay diet along with some neo-classical works and tons of Jazz

Guitar hero is fun as I don't have to remember what mode I am playing it, what transciption to chose for chord progressions, Tuning, beat, Cappo or no, etc. Just watch the colors and match appropiately. Do i find it wrong? hell no! It is a game after all. As a matter of fact it is not much different than AIR GUITARING to your favorite chops!!! expect you have 5 buttons to contend with ;)

sitheris said:
Please don't categorize Metallica with Sum 41 or Blink 182.

why not?

they are just as crappy! Let see the last mediocre album "Black" was that... Mediocrity. After that it has been a steaming pile.

P.S: It arives in your favorite store tommorow!!

btw now they have THREE note chords instead of two!!! :eek:

Anthrax: Madhouse in expert still rules!!

Has anybody seen any good sales for the bundle yet?

outpost.com has it for $79.99 with free shipping
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4962191?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

newegg.com has it for $74.99 with $5.69 shipping (currently listed as backorder).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16879221006

ebgames has it for $79.99 plus shipping
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=281550
they also say this on the page "Due to the unusual size and weight of this product, and addtional $5.00 handling fee will be added to your order."

I'm hoping to see an ad from Fry's Electronics for this game this weekend. Last weekend's add didn't mention it along with the other games available on Tuesday. (Phoenix-Metropolitian area)

does anyone know if GH2 comes with a guitar controller? I need another one.

It comes with the Cherry Red SG if you want. Those who don't need the controller , have the option of getting just the game.

It also looks like Best buy has some offers for the GH2 bundle

Guitar Hero 2 w/ guitar controller $79.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...goryId=cat02377&type=product&id=1153997598306

Guitar Hero 2 T-Shirt free with pre-order
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...mcat50300050014&type=product&id=1156203597120

Wayne's World DVD free with GH2
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ductCategoryId=cat02552&type=product&id=48409

there was free shipping on the game but it looks like there is not free shipping on the freebies. After tax and shipping it came out to $81.78 for me. This is the best deal I've seen yet, though I would still rather forego the freebies and get the bundle for cheaper.

lol

Freebird as the last song is appropiate :)

damn syncopated timing!!!

fun stuff. Lots more "sponsors" in this one.

Back