Guild Wars 2 new class : The Engineer

I like what I'm seeing with this game and I'm pretty anti-MMO.

Honestly, I think it's ludicrous and almost completely ruins the aesthetic of the whole fantasy world.

Toons being "turrets" is one thing, like a Ranger, but actual real turrets?

Turrets, grenades, guns, canons (yes, they're in the game as well)... it's turning into a friggin' modern day shooter.

Yes, I know the world has advanced technologically in the game/storyline, but I don't want that kind of modern weaponry in something like GW2, which should stick withing the fantasy realm.

I cant stand the whole "Steampunk" thing, and while I don't mind some more modern things, such as some sort of thrown explosives (that's sort of different than grenades, though of course a similar concept, as long as it's just a crude, fantasy-like contraption; something like in the Witcher 2), but the rest of this... it just kills the whole reason I play games like this in the first place.

How does it fit... dragons, sorcery/magic, alchemy, swords... turrets, guns, grenades, canons... wtf!?

Why ruin such a beautiful game with such an amazing aesthetic with this whole modern day "Steampunk" garbage? It's just not something that should be "mixed" to this degree, and there's about a million other creative magical things I could think of to take their place.

I've never been an MMO fan, but I quiet enjoyed the first Guild Wars, not enough to stick with it and pick up expansion sets. Certainly felt like they put a lot of thought into correcting all the annoying things that have become the standard in MMO's. Little things like being able to rebuild your skill tree in town any time you want without being punished for it, perhaps takes away from the immersion but very useful when your trying to solo a fire mage and you run into a zone filled with fire elemental.

great, Im loving it. I picked engineer profession on my first important toon in WoW, and had it ever since. The old-tech engineer style is candy for me in a fantasy world

Looking forward to this game release. Played arena PvP in WoW for a long time but losing interest and would like to see more innovation in this area.

Really enjoyed the class descriptions, hope they do well. I did GW beta for awhile but never got into the actual game.

The armor is good looking

female_engineerk6ko8.jpg

938738_20110518_screen1mud.jpg

I agree that steampunk is stupid and that people who like it have shit for brains, but I didn't see anything too bad in the videos. The class doesn't look hugely exciting, though.

This doesn't look like steam punk at all. There isn't 100000 different useless gears covering your armor and weapon.

People saying steampunk is stupid but think magic wooden staffs is cool = lol.

I'd rather see actual steam punk (IE not like the engineers and crap in WoW) then that.

Not my kind of class honestly, I'd rather the april fools "Commando" class be real then that.

Honestly, I think it's ludicrous and almost completely ruins the aesthetic of the whole fantasy world.

Turrets, grenades, guns, canons (yes, they're in the game as well)... it's turning into a friggin' modern day shooter.

Yes, I know the world has advanced technologically in the game/storyline, but I don't want that kind of modern weaponry in something like GW2, which should stick withing the fantasy realm.

I cant stand the whole "Steampunk" thing, and while I don't mind some more modern things, such as some sort of thrown explosives (that's sort of different than grenades, though of course a similar concept, as long as it's just a crude, fantasy-like contraption; something like in the Witcher 2), but the rest of this... it just kills the whole reason I play games like this in the first place.

How does it fit... dragons, sorcery/magic, alchemy, swords... turrets, guns, grenades, canons... wtf!?

Why ruin such a beautiful game with such an amazing aesthetic with this whole modern day "Steampunk" garbage? It's just not something that should be "mixed" to this degree, and there's about a million other creative magical things I could think of to take their place.

Say whaaa? What brought this rant on? The toons don't turn into turrets or anything else. They assemble them and guns, cannons, etc...etc...have popped up in various fantasy settings all the time.

Your post perplexes me.

However, 'm getting pretty stoked for this game. All the classes seem to be exciting and each one has something that I love. I'm going to be bouncing around the classes for a bit me thinks. The Engineer, Warrior, and Thief seem to the be the three I'm enjoying the most to follow.

Say whaaa? What brought this rant on? The toons don't turn into turrets or anything else. They assemble them and guns, cannons, etc...etc...have popped up in various fantasy settings all the time.

Your post perplexes me.

However, 'm getting pretty stoked for this game. All the classes seem to be exciting and each one has something that I love. I'm going to be bouncing around the classes for a bit me thinks. The Engineer, Warrior, and Thief seem to the be the three I'm enjoying the most to follow.

Ritualist in Guild Wars 1 has the exact same mechanic....so yeah.

looks cheesy as hell to me. i like how while he jumps he kills the first guy at the same time. then shoots a net and explodes next to the other guy. rad.

"The armor is good looking"

for some reason, it isn't looking like that in their "skills" videos.

looks cheesy as hell to me. i like how while he jumps he kills the first guy at the same time. then shoots a net and explodes next to the other guy. rad.

Probably since he used a skill called jump shot. If you watch the other Engineer skill videos you see other skills being used.

"The armor is good looking"

for some reason, it isn't looking like that in their "skills" videos.

Yes it does. Check out Absorb. It is the same armor, plus the armor in Grenade Satchel is similar and the armor seen in Gun Turret looks pretty cool as well. So I'm just going to go out on a guess here and say that they have different armor styles. You seemed to maybe have overlooked that simple concept.

WOW has guns, cannons, and grenades. If that helps you cope.

WOW has guns, cannons, and grenades. If that helps you cope.

Warhammer online also had turrets and whatnot. Also WoW has fucking spaceships and all kinds of crazy bullshit. This engineer class is pretty standard stuff for a fantasy game I don't see what all the commotion is about.

Last edited:
Yeah guld wars 2 seems impressive hopefully like most ncsoft games released in the past couple years it is not a dissapointment.

yea lets ask for gw2 to be yet another wow clone and watch you and others complain how there is no difference and uniqness to this game.

The more I read about this game, the more I put my faith in it as the competitor to WoW PvP. They are implementing a DAOC-style RvR which is enough to get me very interested. Really enjoyed the game design philosophy and what is perhaps the most important is that they are taking their sweet time developing it and don't seem to be pressured by NCSoft to put out a turd.

In the MMO market especially, many a would-be competitor to WoW has not only failed because it's just not as good of a game, but it's very obvious that somewhere in production the publisher has opted to make a quick buck instead of long-term success by withdrawing their resources, pushing the game to completion, having it be released buggily, get bad reviews, and burn out in 1 month no matter what the developer tries to do to fix it.

Blizzard doesn't do that because it can. Hopefully ArenaNet has garned the same prestige/respect with NCSoft. Based on what they've said, that seems to be the case.

Exactly. We need something different.

Yup and this is it. its basically oblivion done MMO style and more fluid and dynamic.

i lvoe the quests. none of this, go here and go there with some silly star on the map pointing u to where to go and what to do.

Love it. If they deliver exactly what they described with the polishness of Rift. its game over for WOW IMO.

WOW wont stay number 1 forever..

Yup and this is it. its basically oblivion done MMO style and more fluid and dynamic.

i lvoe the quests. none of this, go here and go there with some silly star on the map pointing u to where to go and what to do.

Love it. If they deliver exactly what they described with the polishness of Rift. its game over for WOW IMO.

Knowing arenanet, it will have more polish than rift. Dont get me wrong, rift has some polish, but GW2 is looking good man..

Dungeon Siege had guns. Heck, the early Ultima series had lots of space stuff in it, you had to be a space ace at one point.

Knowing arenanet, it will have more polish than rift. Dont get me wrong, rift has some polish, but GW2 is looking good man..

Yup, GW1 was very polish and this could be even polished. i bet this game was finished a few months ago in terms of all levels, story, dialogue etc etc all done and implemented. they are just testing it out now for a year and then get us to test it.

thats the way to do it!

Guild Wars 1 was in-fucking-credible. The PVP alone made BG/Arenas in WoW look like a joke.

Exactly. We need something different.

How are engineers different? They've been in a lot of MMOs over the years and these look very similar to the engineers in Warhammer Online with different types of turrets and grenades.

I'm not saying they are good or bad for the genre, just pointing out that GW2 is not really doing anything original with their class design here.

With that said, the game looks very nice and the combat system seems interesting. I will be picking it up when it comes out.

Getting really torn between this and SWTOR. Not sure what to do. I like GW a lot, but all mu friends are leaning towards SWTOR :(

Ugh choices choices...

These videos are mandatory to watch if you're even a little bit interested in this game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs"]Top 10 Reasons to be Interested[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uMlHSbPSY"]10 Little Things to Like About Guild Wars 2[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VKhrCDWfg"]Guild Wars 2 PvP System[/ame]

They are all fairly short and very informative.

As for me, Engineer doesn't look like my kind of style, but I am still fucking ecstatic about this game. I will be trying both SWToR and Guild Wars 2, since I believe SWToR will come out at least a few months sooner than GW2.

That pretty much solidifies it for me...I love the world PvP system they got imagined. That reminds me of Shadowbane.

been waiting for this game for at least a year now. I guess it could kill wow, I mean every game that's tried to copy wow has failed, so one that doesn't try to copy will win? who knows. I don't see this killing wow but I bet it could take a chunk out of the player base. the first GW I played the first two expansions. I really loved it, and when I got WoW I loved that even more. If GW2 gets more into 10 man raids, I'll really be into it. if its more like the first GW where its just missions/quests and you level up, then thats it. it will probably fade for me, since I've already been there done that with the first GW.

How are engineers different? They've been in a lot of MMOs over the years and these look very similar to the engineers in Warhammer Online with different types of turrets and grenades.

I'm not saying they are good or bad for the genre, just pointing out that GW2 is not really doing anything original with their class design here.

With that said, the game looks very nice and the combat system seems interesting. I will be picking it up when it comes out.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was not referring to the engie being something new but more so the game design in general. :)

Just watched the pvp vid. I'd like to get excited, but who is the guy talking in the vid? So far Arena Net has mentioned nothing in regards to PVP so I'd be a little skeptical until it's announced by them. Unless of course he got this info at a tradeshow from an Anet rep.

Just watched the pvp vid. I'd like to get excited, but who is the guy talking in the vid? So far Arena Net has mentioned nothing in regards to PVP so I'd be a little skeptical until it's announced by them. Unless of course he got this info at a tradeshow from an Anet rep.

They have mentioned a lot of various tidbits on pvp, from articles and previews to video interviews, etc.

Look at the guild wars wiki and others for some info on it.

The guy said he got most of the info for the vid from reading previews, video interviews and putting it together.

Back