Guide to overclocking?

lemmy

Limp Gawd
I haven't overclocked in a while, probably since 6800GT

do i need some kind of installation to unlock a driver or something for overclocking in windows vista 64bit?

i'm on 8800GTS 512MB

and would like to use good old riva tuner to do my OC'ing.

Or is riva all i need to start with ?

riva tuners all you need. I recommend using it in junction with ATI tool which has a built in stress test (the fuzzy cube) and artifact analyzer which is very handy. Also allows you to kick the card into 3D clocks while on desktop. ATI tool does have a built in overclocker but it isn't as reliable as that of Riva tuner's. As I understand it, stock, Riva Tuner will save your clocks to a registry and load them on startup. If you really want to get your hands dirty, there is a way to change the cards BIOS so that it will post under those new speeds. I don't know what the advantages of that are (I guess it makes it a touch more stable?) but it can be done.

If you really wanna get carried away, there are some volt mods for an 8800GTS 512mb that are very common. Do at your own risk. Crappy solder job and/or dif PCB revision and/or out of spec PSU = death of card.

ah ATI tool seems like a good idea, reminds me of Expert tool but with stress tests.

Back