GTX 980 Class Action Settlement???

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So, I just received a really puzzling email from Newegg...

upload_2016-8-1_11-5-18.png

I was aware of a GTX 970 class action for the 3.5GB memory issue (which I honestly found a little silly, people buy cards based on review performance, and the performance figures have the 3.5GB issue built in...)

I had not heard about a 980 lawsuit.

That, and I haven't bought either a 970 or a 980 from Newegg, or anyone else. (I did buy two 980ti's from them though)

So, is Nvidia just really confused, or is there something else going on?

They might have just blasted the e-mail out to everyone who purchased a Maxwell gen 2 card? Or it simply may have been a mistake.

They might have just blasted the e-mail out to everyone who purchased a Maxwell gen 2 card? Or it simply may have been a mistake.

Yeah, I get the impression they got confused regarding whether it was the 970 or 980 that had a settlement, so they wrote 980 in the email instead of 970, and then they just blasted it out to everyone who bought maxwell gen2 cards.

Either that, or this one came straight out of left field.

I got this email as well, and have never purchased a GTX970 or GTX980

I purchased a 980Ti and a 1080

Yeah, I get the impression they got confused regarding whether it was the 970 or 980 that had a settlement, so they wrote 980 in the email instead of 970, and then they just blasted it out to everyone who bought maxwell gen2 cards.

Either that, or this one came straight out of left field.
It's not an error or the result of some confusion. Take a look at The NVIDIA GTX 970 Class Action Lawsuit - The Official Newegg Blog which has the list of cards involved. First paragraph: "The settlement announcement came out on July 29 and, hold the phone, the list includes a lot more products than GTX 970. According to a member of our in-house legal team, this happens a lot with class-action lawsuits. Similar lawsuits get bunched together as a matter of convenience and speed for the courts. So, somewhere along the line, a lot of products outside of the GTX 970 were added."

It's not an error or the result of some confusion. Take a look at The NVIDIA GTX 970 Class Action Lawsuit - The Official Newegg Blog which has the list of cards involved. First paragraph: "The settlement announcement came out on July 29 and, hold the phone, the list includes a lot more products than GTX 970. According to a member of our in-house legal team, this happens a lot with class-action lawsuits. Similar lawsuits get bunched together as a matter of convenience and speed for the courts. So, somewhere along the line, a lot of products outside of the GTX 970 were added."

Wow,

That is interesting.

So this resulted from a combination of a 980 complaint with the 970 complaint.

I wonder what the complaint regarding the 980/980ti's was?

My only complaint with my 980ti's was that they each shipped with a batman game that turned out to be useless.

But for $30 bucks? Mine (980) is working fine. Seems like a there's a lawsuit for everything.

But for $30 bucks? Mine (980) is working fine. Seems like a there's a lawsuit for everything.

Yeah, my 980ti's have been flawless too.

I'm grasping at straws as to why the entire maxwell2 family was included.

I mean, I guess if you were shooting between two cards and the Batman game was what made you make your decision, and you are comparing to what retail value if the game was at the time, $30 might make sense?

I've never made a video card decision based on the bundle though (partially because they have never been bundled with any titles I am interested in, at least not when I have been shopping...)

Only 970 cards. Unless Newegg personally want to pay people 30$ ;)

Also included in the list are AMD cards.

If you follow the Newegg link posted earlier, it says:

NOTE: Just because you have purchased one of the items below doesn’t mean you are guaranteed $30, other qualifications are involved. Once the judge approves the settlement, Kurtzman Carson Consultants, LLC will make their site live, we will publish the link so you can make your claim.

I also received this email. It worries me a tad considering I just bought my 980 earlier this month, but at the same time I've put it under heavy load and it runs beautifully. Makes me wonder what kind of issue it is, because I feel like VRAM would've been tested years ago when the 970 news came out.

Litigation crazy fools

Well,

IMHO, the 3.5 vs 4 GB issue on the 970 is a little silly. You read the reviews, and decided which GPU to buy. The framerate you get with it is going to be the same as was int he reviews, so you got what you expected whether it was a functional 3.5gb or 4GB of ram. A GPU - to a consumer - is more or less a black box that spits out a framerate, and as long as the black box spits out the framerate you were sold, you should be happy. What's under the hood is pretty moot.

I thought the 970 was a great bang for the buck when it launched, and if I were shopping for a GPU in that class, I wouldnt' have hesitated to buy it, even after finding out about the 3.5 vs. 4 issue.

That being said, the game issue is pretty valid. For people who bought Batman outright, there was a complete refund from Steam. For those who might have spent more money than they otherwise would have on a video card, because it included a game they wanted, and then wound up getting nothing, I'd argue that some compensation is in order. The Batman publisher should be compensating Nvidia, and Nvidia - in turn - should be compensating their customers.

Personally I was never really interested in Batman as a game to begin with. I never even installed my copy, but if it had been a game I was interested in, and I bought the GPU with the game bundle for this reason, I would have been pissed.

I got one of those emails for my 980 Ti, although weird they mention the 980 specifically even though Newegg claims there are more GPUs in the class-action suit.
I don't consider $30 enough compensation for async-gate, if that's what this is about. But then again I don't care about being compensated in the first place since it won't ever affect me.

I got one of those emails for my 980 Ti, although weird they mention the 980 specifically even though Newegg claims there are more GPUs in the class-action suit.
I don't consider $30 enough compensation for async-gate, if that's what this is about. But then again I don't care about being compensated in the first place since it won't ever affect me.

What is the async issue?

I got this email as well. I'll take whatever given that I no longer own the card.

Not sure what's wrong with my GTX 960... It's one of the more compact cards, and has done a beautiful job for me throughout the last year, since I don't game above 1080.

I got my $63 back for my 980 already, lol

Amazon is pretty good with refunds like that. I ordered a stack on gun cabinet for $169. The ups man dinged up a corner when he put it on the front porch. I used there online customer service to tell them what happened, and that amazon should have put some foam inside the corners all the way down the box. They asked if I wanted a new one sent, and I said no I can live with it because shipping would probably cost them way too much and I just wanted to give them a heads up. They ended up giving me $50 back. I was happy that a 18 gun cabinet only cost me $119.

Well,

IMHO, the 3.5 vs 4 GB issue on the 970 is a little silly. You read the reviews, and decided which GPU to buy. The framerate you get with it is going to be the same as was int he reviews, so you got what you expected whether it was a functional 3.5gb or 4GB of ram. A GPU - to a consumer - is more or less a black box that spits out a framerate, and as long as the black box spits out the framerate you were sold, you should be happy. What's under the hood is pretty moot.

I thought the 970 was a great bang for the buck when it launched, and if I were shopping for a GPU in that class, I wouldnt' have hesitated to buy it, even after finding out about the 3.5 vs. 4 issue.
Except it's not, I bought the card before the 3.5Gig debacle. Had I known about it I wouldn't have bought the thing. There's certain games that I can't run at max settings because if I do the thing stutters when it hits that last 512Meg.

Got some clarification from Newegg, who said that my GTX 960 wasn't part of this:

You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to a GeForce GTX 960 product that you purchased. This email was sent in error and was not accurate. There is no current or pending class action lawsuit related to the product that you purchased. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

I hope someone at newegg got a shit storm of a write up for this. I got the same email and the same retraction.

Except it's not, I bought the card before the 3.5Gig debacle. Had I known about it I wouldn't have bought the thing. There's certain games that I can't run at max settings because if I do the thing stutters when it hits that last 512Meg.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back