GTX 970 Cooler Versions

MajorM

n00b
I have been looking into a GTX 970 but am a little concerned on which model cooler I should be looking into. I have a HAF X case with a 120.3 radiator up top and have the fans pulling air out through the top. I have been buying cards with the reference cooler where it exhausts through the back of the computer but the other coolers with multiple fans that exhaust in the case seem superior. Well that is until you consider it will be blowing all the warm air into my radiator.

I dont see myself adding a new radiator to handle the extra load from the gpu so I doubt I will water cool it. So do yall think I am over worrying about the heat output from the gpu going through my radiator? My side case fan sucks air in as does the front fan but the back and top fans blow out. I guess SLI is another consideration but unless something drastic happens with price I probably wont do that either vs just upgrading the card. I kept telling myself I would go SLI but I never do when the time comes so I just need to accept it lol.

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 all the way. Tripple fans and quiet All the way up to 100%.

At first I had the haf 930 case with dual 120 fans blowing In right at the end of the card and a 140mm fan blowing right at it from the side panel.

Anyways with ur setup with top exhaust just have front intake and you may be fine. If not reverse the rad fans and make them intake and exashting out the front.

Ideally you want more fans blowing in then out for negative pressure to keep the dust down.

Wouldn't that be positive pressure? I personally avoid that type of setup myself (don't want gpus dumping all heat right into the case), but you should be ok as long as you have enough airflow. Would still raise the temps on your cpu if that's something your worried about

Nope negative pressure is what you want more in then out. The other way around you will have dust.

Besides you want cooler air entering the rad and with it being used as an intake it will have cooler air entering it.

What your describing is definitely positive pressure, more intake than outake fans

I'm quite happy with my EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0+. On the quiet BIOS, it turns the fan completely off until it hits 60°C. It was keeping my card in the low to mid 60's at only ~350RPM. With the AIO cooler installed, it's peaking in the 30's.

I too have always preferred the idea of the video card exhausting heat outside the case rather than inside the case. However, the size limitations of those blowers seem to mandate that they be pretty loud. I've always gotten better temps and lower noise by going to Accelero-style coolers. But at least the Maxwells are very efficient, and stay pretty cool anyway.

An AIO/G10 setup might allow you to move the GPU's heat directly to an exhaust fan, to get the benefit of dumping the heat out of the case without needing a blower on the card.

Is there any good way to switch the rad fans to be intake (possibly moving the rad) and still get decent airflow through the case? I have my AIOs on the front and back as intake (getting cool outside air) pumping heat into the case, which then goes up and out the top. It makes my case temps warmer, but since the CPU and GPU are being cooled by the AIOs, there's not much left in the case that really needs the cooler air anyway.

What your describing is definitely positive pressure, more intake than outake fans

Yes, absolutely. More intake than exhaust leads to higher pressure in the case - positive pressure. More exhaust fans leads to lower pressure inside - negative pressure.

Back