GTX 680 installation killed my Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. So I am uncertain whether this thread should go into the Video Cards forum or this one but based on the fact this is a headset issue my first thought is that it should go in here. So here's the situation: On June 22nd I picked up an eVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked+ video card. Runs great but when I first installed it I thought it killed my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer video card and my Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset. Good news is the X-Fi is working again (it got caught loose in the PCI slot and needed to be reseated). The Corsair Vengeance 1500 however; still partially broken.

I say partially because I've gotten it to the point where I can use it so long as I do not install Corsair's driver that is added after you plug it in. As soon as that is added the system will reboot (or not if I do an .inf driver update through Device Manager) and will pop up with a Windows system error 52. This error states basically that because Windows cannot verify the digital signature on the driver Windows will not let you use the device and shuts it off and out of the system. Funny thing is Windows says when you highlight the driver upon an .inf file style install that the driver is digitally signed.

Even when I turn off all digital signature verification in the system it still comes back with the same exact error. I've taken this up with Corsair Support and their last response was pull the 680 out of the system (as this started immediately upon fully installing it), put my GTX 480 back in and don't use the 680 in the system at all. Corsair's thought here is something on the 680 is causing this problem. I've troubleshot this almost as far as I can. I have tried everything you guys might've thought of (uninstalling/reinstalling nVIDIA Forceware drivers the card was compatible with both WHQL and BETA and reinstalling the headset a few times over) and now I have one idea left but wanted to run it by you guys before I tried it.

The idea is when the 680 installs it adds a High Definition Audio Device to the system for it's HDMI input slot. That driver is still the base one made by Microsoft and its driver date is 11/19/2010. Disabling it as in the device I found doesn't fix the headset issue but perhaps that base driver doesn't get along with the Corsair Vengeance 1500. So my thinking is install the latest nVIDIA BETA driver as of a few days ago and also add the HD Audio Driver from nVIDIA to the system and see how it reacts. Any and all other ideas you guys might have are also appreciated because I got to get this headset back to normal. That is all. Thanks in advance for your answers and advice. Out!

Edit: Forgot the system specs for my system. Here they are:

Core i7 950 CPU
eVGA X58 SLI3 mobo
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked+ video
Creatve X-Fi Xtreme Gamer audio
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 HDD
WD Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 HDD
Corsair AX850 850W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB headset

Last edited:
I also see 2 High definition audio controllers under System devices (I also have onboard audio).
And I see a NVIDIA High Definition Audio object under sound, video, and game controllers dated 5/21/2012. Do you also see this?

Hi KENNYB, yes I do see what you see except for the nVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller. Namely, because when I did the initial install driver I didn't add the HD Audio Driver from nVIDIA's driver package. But I do know which one belongs to the 680. It is the one marked PCI bus 3, device 0, function 1. That is all. Out!

Why didn't you add the HD driver install from the Nvidia driver kit?

Hi KENNYB. The answer is no and the reason for that with my GTX 480 of the past (and into the 680) is because I never bothered to use the HDMI port on the back of the card so for that part of the driver I left it off. But, I get what you're saying. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're thinking that if I install the 680's HD Audio Driver and update the driver the device currently has from Microsoft dated 11/19/2010 it might break the driver conflict and fix the issue. Does that sound right? I have the latest driver and if that is the answer I'll update and add that driver when I do the Custom/Clean install of the new BETA driver. Thanks. Out!

I am not sure it would help, but seeing as the GTX680 has its own HDMI audio controller, and the Corsair has its own too, you can remove the X-fi without issues, that would be 1 less audio device to cause problems.

Back