GTX 570 to GTX 970 upgrade advice please

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
I was very surprised to see that my i7 920 and GTX 570 have so far been able to run Witcher 3!! The settings are on "High" and so far the game is very playable. I'm not running FPS or benchmarking monitors or anything like that, I just mean I can move around and engage in combat without and noticeable slowdowns. This is just the early parts of the game though and I don't know how well my system will handle more characters on screen and the open world.

So I'm wondering if it's worth my upgrading to the GTX 970 - however, I don't have the funds nor inclination at least for now to upgrade anything else. Here are my current specs ...

i7 920 o/c 3.8 MHz
GTX 570 not o/c'ed
12GB ram
1680x1050 monitor (dual setup but playing on just one monitor)

Based on this, would I even be able to get the most out of the 970? My sense is no so what would be a decent enough upgrade for the GTX 570 to make the best use of this current setup?

Thanks!

At that frequency, your 920 won't be bottlenecking a single 970 in most games. If you want better gaming performance, go for it.

At that resolution I don't think you would have an issue. But seriously consider saving up money to upgrade your platform. Skylake is due around the end of the year and will be a considerable upgrade to your current platform.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Armenius, I've been so out of building for a while that I don't even know what Skylake is.

If you don't mind please allow me to put my question another way could I get a decent enough upgrade with a lesser card say a GTX 700 series? Or would I still be able to appreciate what the 970 has to offer even with my crappy 1680x1050 monitors?

Skylake will be replacing Broadwell really soon, I would say go for the 970 with the 920, and then upgrade the platform and go SLi..

I second Armenius's recommendation and say just keep on trucking with what you got and keep saving and do a full build later. GTX-570, after all these years, is still no slouch. :)

Ok I ended up pulling the trigger on an EVGA GTX 970 open box at Micro Center for $300. I was about to compromise on a 960 but this seemed too good to pass up. So far very cool with Witcher 3. I cranked everything all the way up and turned on hair effects and I'm showing 50fps dipping to 30fps on some cinematics. This is just on my 1680x1050 though.

And it runs way quieter than my GTX 570 (but when I took it out, it had tons of dust in the fan which I probably should have cleaned out).

Max temps were 80C LOL!!!!! It's running 37C right now I don't think I've ever seen my GPU run cooler than my CPU (58C right now / maxed at 71C while I was playing).

Lastly, fit my case just fine - Lian Li mid tower.

Thanks for the feedback! So far very glad with this upgrade.

Back