GTX 460 rumored on the way...

It better perform the same or better than a 285 and be no more than $250 MSRP, or else it's a waste IMHO.

I was just gonna say it sounds like a waste, IMO i think the 470 is a waste...

Hmm depending on the price it could be ok. I would say $199 would be great. I know my roommate has a SLI amd mobo, and does want to upgrade to a video card, he is running 2 9600gt's now, but This he might be interested in the 460 since it gets him into DX11.

Good news...Lets just hope the price/performance is good

Hmm depending on the price it could be ok. I would say $199 would be great. I know my roommate has a SLI amd mobo, and does want to upgrade to a video card, he is running 2 9600gt's now, but This he might be interested in the 460 since it gets him into DX11.

Good news...Lets just hope the price/performance is good

yeah, 199 space is ripe for the taking. the 5830 just isn't a performer.

It better perform the same or better than a 285 and be no more than $250 MSRP, or else it's a waste IMHO.

A chip at that speed is within range of the 5850, which the GTX 470 is supposed to be roughly up against. I doubt it's going to work that way with all the extra disabled stuff this 460 would have, I'd wager it'd be more like within the range of the GTX 275 or 4890. That wouldn't be bad, given that that's the range the 5830 was supposed to be at.

yeah, 199 space is ripe for the taking. the 5830 just isn't a performer.
Exactly. The cheapest 5830 on Newegg is $215 AR, and the card should really have an MSRP of $200 and be available for less in retail ($175-180 would be perfect). It all depends on how much NVIDIA wants this slot and whether it would be worth. To consider though, it's really the only hole in AMD's lineup.

Exactly. The cheapest 5830 on Newegg is $215 AR, and the card should really have an MSRP of $200 and be available for less in retail ($175-180 would be perfect). It all depends on how much NVIDIA wants this slot and whether it would be worth. To consider though, it's really the only hole in AMD's lineup.

They probably want it fairly badly. They have to attack and try to clearly win somewhere, don't they? One could say they own the ultra-enthusiast bracket with the people spending $1200+ on Dual SLI 480s for the best-performance possible. However, the ultra-ultra enthusiast bracket where your comparing triple crossfired 5870s to Tri SLI 480s, its a toss-up.

Like others say, make it a 280/5 that supports DX11 for 200-250 and they would have a real winner on their hands. There needs to be something to bridge the gap between the 250 and the 470.

Like others say, make it a 280/5 that supports DX11 for 200-250 and they would have a real winner on their hands. There needs to be something to bridge the gap between the 250 and the 470.

Or just make a DX11 card for $199. This might accually make ATI lower prices on the 5000 series.

I would love to see this card released @ $199 and watch ATI have to drop the 5830 down to compete. Pricing wars are great for consumers :)

I would love to see this card released @ $199 and watch ATI have to drop the 5830 down to compete. Pricing wars are great for consumers :)
there is no way this card will be just $199 as $250 is probably looking more realistic. even at $250 two of these in sli would easily beat a gtx480 for the same price though.

Gotta suck for nVidia to sell these huge costly GPUs at lower prices but whatelse are they going to do with all their crippled Fermi chips?

there is no way this card will be just $199 as $250 is probably looking more realistic. even at $250 two of these in sli would easily beat a gtx480 for the same price though.

It'd be realistic for ATI to drop 5830 prices to that level though. Imo it's pretty ok at the $199 pricepoint, just not the ~$230 one it's in now.

This card is going to draw as much power and be as hot as the GTX470, and quite possibly more because they are using salvaged dies. Look at the HD5830's power consumption and heat in comparison to the HD5850 to get a clue of how high the power consumption for the GTX460 will be.

The one good thing is that there will be a lot more GTX460s than HD5830s. Nvidia's yields of Fermi are 20-30% leaving a TON of bad dies destined for the scrap heap which will be salvaged and used for the GTX460. AMD is reportedly getting 60%+ yields so they have less available dies to turn into HD5830s. This higher availability will hopefully mean the GTX460 will be priced lower, but this is Nvidia after all and I won't be holding my breath.

This card is going to draw as much power and be as hot as the GTX470, and quite possibly more because they are using salvaged dies. Look at the HD5830's power consumption and heat in comparison to the HD5850 to get a clue of how high the power consumption for the GTX460 will be.

The one good thing is that there will be a lot more GTX460s than HD5830s. Nvidia's yields of Fermi are 20-30% leaving a TON of bad dies destined for the scrap heap which will be salvaged and used for the GTX460. AMD is reportedly getting 60%+ yields so they have less available dies to turn into HD5830s. This higher availability will hopefully mean the GTX460 will be priced lower, but this is Nvidia after all and I won't be holding my breath.
yeah because ATI would never charge a lot for their video cards...

Direct your complaints to Nvidia and their inability to produce competing products in time.

I accually have to agree. They are STILL selling 260 gtx's for $199.....and its old tech DX10.

How to they expect to compete at the $150-200 segment?...This is where my roommate is a bit upset.

I mean shit you can get a 5770 XFX for $154....cant they AT LEAST drop the 260 prices to aroun $159-169 price?

I accually have to agree. They are STILL selling 260 gtx's for $199.....and its old tech DX10.

How to they expect to compete at the $150-200 segment?...This is where my roommate is a bit upset.

I mean shit you can get a 5770 XFX for $154....cant they AT LEAST drop the 260 prices to aroun $159-169 price?

Which makes me think the 460s are going to go for $249 MSRP @ launch. :mad:

Why? It's EOL, they aren't producing anymore so they don't have to move whatever stock is left. That's the AIB and retailer's problem, not NVIDIA's, as I believe they already sold them the card. Someone will eventually buy a GTX 260 at that price and the stock will clear (or they'll have a firesale long after they're an adequate upgrade). EOL part pricing sucks, and has been getting worse over the last few years I've noticed. Hell, with the last couple of hardware releases (be it CPU, SSD, video card), the people who jumped on them first got the best deals. Sorry for the tangent, just something I've noticed.

No, its George's Bushs fault.

Of course its NVIDIA's fault. Its their product and they have total control over all aspects of it.

No, its George's Bushs fault.

Of course its NVIDIA's fault. Its their product and they have total control over all aspects of it.
perhaps you should actually follow the comments. Lorien made it sound like only Nvidia would overcharge for a video card which is silly.

The only place to find deals on nvidia cards right now is the 'bay. Got my brand new in box bfg 280 oc for 215 bucks with free shipping.

there is a fairly big difference in performance between the GTX470 and the GTX480, and it seems there will be an even larger gap between the 470 and 460(hardware differences are even more pronounced then 480->470)

It seems this card will perform on par or slower then a GTX285

I'd be surprised if it hit the stores at anything less than 279.99. Just enough to be cheaper than a 5850.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GTX 470 roughly on par with a 5850 in non-tessellation heavy games? I would imagine the GTX 460 would be aimed at the 5830, but at $279 isn't it a bit pricey? Or is nvidia simply banking on the fact that these cards are significantly better at tessellation than ATI's 5xxx series to justify the higher prices?

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18624/1/

Price = epic fail? Seeing as 470 is >= to 5850 but more expensive. I can't see much value in a 460 at this rumoured pricing.

Indeed. Let us hope Fuad is wrong on this one. Can't see spending that much when 5850 is in the same price range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GTX 470 roughly on par with a 5850 in non-tessellation heavy games? I would imagine the GTX 460 would be aimed at the 5830, but at $279 isn't it a bit pricey? Or is nvidia simply banking on the fact that these cards are significantly better at tessellation than ATI's 5xxx series to justify the higher prices?

It might be that NV is actually trying to make a profit from Fermi...lol. :D

I believe you are correct in your estimate that the 470 is roughly equal maybe 10% faster at most over a 5850 in non heavy tesselation games. If Nvidia is hoping the better tesselation performance is going to draw people to the 460 over a 5850 then I think they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

What's the point of having better tesselation performance on cards that are struggling to run 1920x1200 with 4xAA in a lot of titles. No one is going to turn on tesselation if they need to turn off AA or lower the res for it which is exactly what will happen with anything slower than a 470.

They need to price the 460's at $249 compete directly between 5830 and 5850 performance and actually be available at the $249 if they want to sell well. At 279-299 they are competing directly with 5850's for price and I can't possibly see with the rumored handicapping from a 470 how they'd be close to 5850/470 performance.

I'm just wondering, what reviews are you guys reading putting the GTX470 as being FASTER then the 5850? as far as I recall, the 5850 and GTX470 traded blows.

This card sounds beastly. Should be able to run neck and neck with the 4850.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18624/1/

Price = epic fail? Seeing as 470 is >= to 5850 but more expensive. I can't see much value in a 460 at this rumoured pricing.

If this is indeed the price that Nvidia launches the card at, then I speak for everyone when I say, "Nvidia, are you fucking kidding me?"

Edit:
This card sounds beastly. Should be able to run neck and neck with the 4850.

lol'd

IDK about the prices elsewhere but the 470 is approx. $100 more than the 5850, and louder and way hotter. There is no contest here
The 480 is approx $150 more than the 5870, and hotter and louder and way more power hungry. Again, no contest, ATI all the way.

Last edited:
I am waiting for June to see how the rumored GTS 450 is priced and performs. It supposedly will outperform (or so early reports say) a GTX 285 and will be a slightly different Fermi architecture therefore it will run much cooler and use a lot less power than the current Fermi cards.

If this is indeed the price that Nvidia launches the card at, then I speak for everyone when I say, "Nvidia, are you fucking kidding me?"
I'm not surprised. Quoting myself here from a couple days ago:
...higher availability will hopefully mean the GTX460 will be priced lower, but this is Nvidia after all and I won't be holding my breath.
This might mean that they won't be able to salvage as many fermi dies to use as GTX460s as I previously thought. Or they could just be price gouging to recover costs as much as they can. These are, after all, full Fermi dies that didn't qualify to be GTX470/480 and now they are going to spend extra cash fusing off the broken shader cores and testing a ton of defective chips.

This leaves a glaring hole in the $200 price point for both AMD and Nvidia. The HD5830 is not appealing at all at its current price point and Nvidia won't have anything in that segment 'till at least June.

Last edited:
I am waiting for June to see how the rumored GTS 450 is priced and performs. It supposedly will outperform (or so early reports say) a GTX 285 and will be a slightly different Fermi architecture therefore it will run much cooler and use a lot less power than the current Fermi cards.
It's actually a re-branded G92 core, sorry.

:p

In all seriousness though, wow, let's hope Fudzilla's report isn't the case at release. At anything more than $250 this card would be a joke. Looks like prices aren't going to be going anywhere for awhile :(.

I'm just wondering, what reviews are you guys reading putting the GTX470 as being FASTER then the 5850? as far as I recall, the 5850 and GTX470 traded blows.

I think it depends on how the review was done. and the games. over all they are pretty well on par. but if you factor in lower res performance with a few TWIMTBP titles then they come out ahead. if your go higher on the AA and do the high screens sizes then I think ATI pulls ahead.

Its close enough that they would be neck and neck if there wasn't such a disparity in features (power draw, performance per watt, acoustics)

Back