gtx 460 bottleneck?

matt_to_the_max

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,
I purchased a 1gb gtx460 and a HD6850 from the anandtech forums. They should be here by Tuesday and the 6850 is for my cousin. My question is, how badly will I be limited by my cpu which is a c2d e6300 OC'd to 3010 MHz? Or will I at all? I would like to get a q9550 but it's a little too expensive and I think I rather just switch to amd later on when bulldozer comes out if it turns out to be what it claims to offer. I play most current games as well and I would like to start folding. Thanks for looking and I hope everyone had a nice new years.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
It will be a big upgrade from what you have, but it will be bottlenecked big time. At stock speeds my q9550 definitely holds back my GTX 470 based on benchmarks run with my cpu at stock vs overclocked.

You plan to upgrade your system next year so it won't be a waste to buy the 460.

it will be a massive upgrade over the x1900 but yes your cpu will keep it from performing at its best. I dont know how you did not upgrade at some point before now as even a lowly 9600gt would beat your x1900.

An X1900XT.....talk about getting your money's worth out of a card. When did you buy that, was that 2006? I thought I did good by getting 2 1/2 years out of my gtx 260.

It'll be a bottleneck, but for very little you can get a decent upgrade with either a Core i3 or Athlon II x3. You may wanna lean towards an x3 over the i3 due to it being able to take ddr2.

it will be a massive upgrade over the x1900 but yes your cpu will keep it from performing at its best. I dont know how you did not upgrade at some point before now as even a lowly 9600gt would beat your x1900.
Haha, well I did have a 8800gt at one point for around 8 months but I was borrowing it and I gave it back to my friend. I really liked it though because I got around double the performance. Then after that I bought two 8800GT's off a guy locally for only $70 and ran them in sli with a driver hack, then I sold them for $140 on ebay, since I wanted to wait and get a better single card later on.
An X1900XT.....talk about getting your money's worth out of a card. When did you buy that, was that 2006? I thought I did good by getting 2 1/2 years out of my gtx 260.
Thanks man, but for sure it's in dire need for an upgrade, lol, since the x1900xt is not even supported under windows 7. I think I bought it in 2006 off fleabay.

if you get ready for a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade in the next few months, Sandy Bridge will be your best bet for sure.

Back