GTX 460 2Win

Zink

Gawd
http://www.evga.com/articles/00613/
A dual slot, dual GTX 460 card, I wonder what pricing will be. Cheaper than a GTX 580 and should get you ~22kppd. Can someone please put 4 of these together? Just for the pr0n?
2PBiW.jpg

can only run 4 of those in windows xp. its not possible in windows vista or 7.. xp is limited to 8 physical gpu's and windows vista/7 are limited to 8 display ports which means only 2 of those cards will work since windows will see it has having 3 display ports where as standard single gpu cards are seen as only having 2 display ports.

Whoa........

That thing looks like it could dump a LOT of heat into your case.

I'm curious why they are still using the 460 when the 560 has been out for a while now.

SP1 for 2008 R2 has that new RemoteFX feature for the Terminal Services (Remote Desktop Services). And from what I have been reading you literally install high end video cards into servers and the video card renders the screen before being sent out over RDP. I would THINK then that 2008 R2 SP1 would be designed to support a large number of video cards for that kind of aplication.

maybe? yes no? or can somebody tell me i'm way off? =P

Shouldn't be a problem since it is basically windows 7 pro at heart.

SirMonkey where did you hear about this limitation?

its been a known limitation for F@H since vista was released when microsoft changed it from 8 gpu's in xp to 8 display ports vista. no ones ever found a work around for it though.

Whoa........

That thing looks like it could dump a LOT of heat into your case.

I'm curious why they are still using the 460 when the 560 has been out for a while now.

surplus stock.. if anyone remembers the fiasco between XFX and nvidia you will remember that nvidia basically force fed the AIB's all these gpu's. so now they are all stuck with these 400 series gpu's and nothing to do with them.

It would be interesting if reviewers and retailers do little to promote this card for gaming. There is little benefit of SLI GTX 460 over a single GTX 570 for gaming so prices on this card could easily drop to $300 relatively soon if there is enough old 460 stock around. That would be nice to see for folders.

It would be interesting if reviewers and retailers do little to promote this card for gaming. There is little benefit of SLI GTX 460 over a single GTX 570 for gaming so prices on this card could easily drop to $300 relatively soon if there is enough old 460 stock around. That would be nice to see for folders.

Its a specialty card thats only being offered by EVGA(their design) so don't expect the price of other comparable performing products to affect its price much, at least initially. Beyond that the only comment EVGA has made on the board is that it will cost less and perform better than a GTX 580, so take that for what its worth.

Its a specialty card thats only being offered by EVGA(their design) so don't expect the price of other comparable performing products to affect its price much, at least initially. Beyond that the only comment EVGA has made on the board is that it will cost less and perform better than a GTX 580, so take that for what its worth.

You're probably right. This card should be just a bit faster than a GTX 580 and it is custom, I was looking at some weird benchmarks. CPU farming is all that makes sense ppw wise now anyways, sigh...

It is an interesting card but I won't be buying, I'm waiting for the price to drop on 460's so I can buy another as I need to handle more than two displays. I might play some games with it but that means time out of folding. :(

If they got this to market far sooner (before the 500's came out), then this would have sold and they would have made money out of it, but it is 6 months too late.

It is an interesting card but I won't be buying, I'm waiting for the price to drop on 460's so I can buy another as I need to handle more than two displays. I might play some games with it but that means time out of folding. :(

If they got this to market far sooner (before the 500's came out), then this would have sold and they would have made money out of it, but it is 6 months too late.

This card will run 4 displays.

galaxy has their own version as well and looks pretty bad ass with the white PCB.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267936

credit for the url find goes to hitek from the IRC channel.

If I ever bought one...I would buy the galaxy... just cause... but for me to buy a new nvidia card again... dunno...

If I ever bought one...I would buy the galaxy... just cause... but for me to buy a new nvidia card again... dunno...

Well, hopefully we will have a viable option to the big bad evil company when we get that ATI GPU3 client :)

i'm with ya on that. galaxy has proven its self over the last 2-3 years which in my opinion has taken over the XFX spot in the nvidia line and is definitely worthy of my money unlike EVGA. but at this point the price can't be low enough to ever make me think of buying another nvidia card. nvidia has their hands in way to many pockets for me to continue supporting the bullcrap game they are playing against AMD/ATI.

either would be nice to pick up 2 or 3 for a folding farm in a box, sadly all my folding includes no sr2's

I'd worry about the power delivery subsystem. Default clocks are 700mhz IIRC, and to get the full 11k out of a 460 you need to be running at around 800+. The mosfets are gonna get really hot with 2 800mhz gpu's to feed on a single card. If you remember, that was the main limitation to the 5970 when it came out. Plus, the cost ratio probably won't work out all that well, you're most likely paying a pretty hefty premium vs a single 460

I'd worry about the power delivery subsystem. Default clocks are 700mhz IIRC, and to get the full 11k out of a 460 you need to be running at around 800+. The mosfets are gonna get really hot with 2 800mhz gpu's to feed on a single card. If you remember, that was the main limitation to the 5970 when it came out. Plus, the cost ratio probably won't work out all that well, you're most likely paying a pretty hefty premium vs a single 460
That all depends on how the power circuitry is designed and implemented. It's certainly possible to come up with a system that works well in this situation.

That all depends on how the power circuitry is designed and implemented. It's certainly possible to come up with a system that works well in this situation.

oh of course, no doubt that they could work something out that works ok, the only question is did they? It will be hard to know for sure unless somebody runs one for a good while to test it out. Even if we see reviews that show good OC'ing results, thats not indicative of how well they'd hold up long-term. I'd just rather not be the guinea pig :p

Back