[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like the prices are dropping
Link for the lazy: Newegg

To summarize:
XFX GTX 285 - $325 no rebates
EVGA GTX 285 - $330AR
XFX GTX 285 BLACK - $375 after promo
EVGA GTX 285 SSC - $380AR

325 for a GTX285 vs 410 for the 4870X2 doesn't seem that bad. of course 245AR for the 4850X2 still kills these, badly. I am thinking that some more price drops are coming.

Now if only EVGA dropped the prices on their site so I could step up from my Vanilla GTX260 :( .

Step Up Prices > Market Prices

Very tempting!!!!
I want the EVGA GTX 285 SSC or the XFX Black Edition...

The items linked by OP were listed at newegg with "12 hour sale" banner in red type. It was a short sale. Most likely a precursor to the price drops which will hit after 280 stocks diminish.

Got my XFX 285 for $320 about a week ago. But the minute these break the $300 barrier they'll start flying off shelves. It's a great, fast, hassle free card.

XFX GTX 285 - Now $380
EVGA GTX 285 - Now $365 AR
XFX GTX 285 BLACK - Now $399 after $20 promo
EVGA GTX 285 SSC - Now $409 AR

Just yesterday I put together a list of parts and I was going to finalize some of the purchases today. So nice to see the EVGA card rise $35 over night. Grrr :mad:

LOL, they are trying hard to turn me into an ATI fan. the 4850X2 just dropped in price and they have the audacity to raise theirs? even if it was a sale those prices are stupid. you can get a 4870X2 for 400. you can get a 4870 1gb for 200. a 4850X2 for 245. (under 300 for the better one) I guess they don't mind AMD wiping the floor with them value wise.

Yep, i check 285 prices every day, they were low yesterday, back up above 400 again today. Stupid newegg.

No way! A graphics card price dropping 2 weeks after it came out? That never happens! You know what else never happens? That everybody who bought one during those 2 weeks is pissed off. That never happens either. :eek:

No way! A graphics card price dropping 2 weeks after it came out? That never happens! You know what else never happens? That everybody who bought one during those 2 weeks is pissed off. That never happens either. :eek:

we are bitching because they went UP not down. I am hoping for a price war.

when are we gonna see GTX 280 deals?

Is it just gonna be phased out slowly and painfully like the Q6600.

when are we gonna see GTX 280 deals?

Is it just gonna be phased out slowly and painfully like the Q6600.

Seriously, ive been jonsing for a 280 price drop and im surprised there aren't any, so many newer cards out.

Seriously, ive been jonsing for a 280 price drop and im surprised there aren't any, so many newer cards out.

Yeah, I don't get it. What the hell is Nvidia thinking not dropping prices?? I'm seeing deflation everywhere else except at Nvidia!

I'm hoping for a gtx285 around $275, but losing my patience quickly.

maybe they are seeing pretty good sales so they will maintain/raise prices until the pool of current suckers dries up

Then they will drop prices

any word on when the next gen cards are coming out from these two companies? i.e. not refreshes

Yeah, I don't get it. What the hell is Nvidia thinking not dropping prices?? I'm seeing deflation everywhere else except at Nvidia!

I'm hoping for a gtx285 around $275, but losing my patience quickly.

If I was buying right now in that price range it would be the 4850X2, this is where the GTX280 competition is. you can get one for 245 low end 300 for the high.

Isnt the newegg pricing automated though? Prices drop...stock goes low when people buy them...price is automatically jacked back up. Its pretty simple supply and demand...

Isnt the newegg pricing automated though? Prices drop...stock goes low when people buy them...price is automatically jacked back up. Its pretty simple supply and demand...

Not this time. It was a "12-hour special". It was label on many of the 285s that were on sale. Prices went back up because the sale was over. But it wouldn't surprise me if those prices become the norm within a few weeks.

Are these not out performed by the 4850X2? If I recall correctly, they are. If I am correct, isn't the GTX 280 irrelevant?

You can dote on the 4850x2 all you want. But when the card dies and it comes time to rma it, good luck dealing with Sapphire which is the only company that is selling the card right now. Sorry but i'll be sticking with nvidia just because they actually cover watercooling and overclocking and i can get ahold of someone should the card have problems.

Are these not out performed by the 4850X2? If I recall correctly, they are. If I am correct, isn't the GTX 280 irrelevant?

yes but it doesn't make it irrelevant. a lot of people (see above) like their preferred companies. Sapphire really isn't bad per say but they are not BFG either. While I would not be buying a GTX280 right now at the prices they want (I like mine but I tend to be pragmatic and buy best bang for the buck in the class I am looking at) a lot of people will. at some point they will start loosing market share again and you will see the prices drop. really if they dropped the price of the GTX280 down to 250 to 275 a lot of people might pick it over the 4850X2. its quieter, not as long, and doesn't carry the dual gpu stigma

far cry 2 is like looking at old school art you have to see it the way the game developers saw it to appreciate it. Or if you just like to wonder around and blow shit up and not really like storylines : O )

Um, valset... if you take how much the fc2 and cod5 games are seperately to someone who doesn't have them its definatly a good deal... I bought the 4850x2 and i'm one of those who had aweful times with the drivers and had to rma so for me atleast this would be a better deal then a 4850x2. Furthermore i'm now waiting for dx11 so the biggest and baddest to come out with dx11 is mine !!!

Um, valset... if you take how much the fc2 and cod5 games are seperately to someone who doesn't have them its definatly a good deal... I bought the 4850x2 and i'm one of those who had aweful times with the drivers and had to rma so for me atleast this would be a better deal then a 4850x2. Furthermore i'm now waiting for dx11 so the biggest and baddest to come out with dx11 is mine !!!

yeah but to some people both games aren't worth anything.

COD WaW sucks and FC2 has its problems. It's all relative though.

Back