gtx 260 oc problem?

pcguy24

Weaksauce
I have been running a gtx 260 oc in my pc for around 4 months. I perchased used but ran fine. i recently put two 250g hdds in raid 0 and fresh win. 7. sence the format my computer has been acting up, every once in a while both my monitors go black and i have to restart the computer to turn em back on. the resin i think its video card related is once after i turned the computer back on the gpu fan was running full speed but the temp nor usage was high, using precision so i manually turned the fan down but right after i hit apply the fan turned off completely. so once again i restarted and it worked fine. after awhile it happened again. both times i was playing minecraft. any ideas on what it is?

Last edited:
Hi Op

Too many weird factors here to diagnose really.

- it's a used card?
- did you update the driver after Win 7? I assume you did.
- Your extra hard drives are drawing more power than before, thats a likely suspect... maybe the PSU?
- Minecraft isn't exactly a mainstream product with tons of back end support or product testing....
- Switch to a older, smaller, less power hungry video card and see if it still drops the monitors.
- figure out your new power consumption rates with the new Raid array and see if your banging on 2 rails or 1 low amp rail.

Hope that gives you some new ideas to try. Good luck OP.

what drivers are you using? i had this exact problem happen with my 8800GS's with the 258.96 drivers after installing windows 7 sp1 when playing BFBC2(no other games effected it). reinstalling the drivers magically fixed it. why the sp1 update some how broke the drivers i don't know. i also don't know if this happened with any other versions either.

uninstalled and installing clean 270.61 drivers

Last edited:
The minecraft window going black is well known ... install 64-bit Java on your 64-bit machine. But that's different than having the lcd shut off, I'd think.

Back