gt300 spec leaked

still on launch day it looked bad to see the last gen flagship beating the newer more expensive card in most cases.

But it wasn't? It only "beat" the GTX 280 in certain games with certain restrictions (restrictions that should cause you to shy away from plopping down money for an enthusiast-level card) and even when it "beat it", because of its inherent microstuttering issues you would not want it anyway. So the GTX 280 provided that level of performance (and better for most applications where it matters)... but without the microstuttering... And more consistently because it doesn't rely on SLI...

It all comes back to that imo you can't compare next generation's single gpu beasts to last generation's dual gpu pieces of crap.

so how much longer till the first post that reads "Will the 300 be a good upgrade"

It all comes back to that imo you can't compare next generation's single gpu beasts to last generation's dual gpu pieces of crap.[/QUOTE said:
The dual gpu 9800gx2 was also flawed with its bus, the newer card gave higher resolution gamers (those who would most likely purchase a 9800gx2 at the time of its dominance or a gtx 280 when it was released) way more of an advantage when upgrading from the 9800gx2 to a gtx 280. Unless one games below at or below 1680x1050, which most enthusiasts do not, the 9800gx2 was a failed card

But it wasn't? It only "beat" the GTX 280 in certain games with certain restrictions (restrictions that should cause you to shy away from plopping down money for an enthusiast-level card) and even when it "beat it", because of its inherent microstuttering issues you would not want it anyway. So the GTX 280 provided that level of performance (and better for most applications where it matters)... but without the microstuttering... And more consistently because it doesn't rely on SLI...

It all comes back to that imo you can't compare next generation's single gpu beasts to last generation's dual gpu pieces of crap.
read the numbers on the graphs because what I said about the 9800gx2 being faster in most cases at launch was basically correct. Im not going to link to every review out there when you can look for yourself. the one review from techreport clearly showed exactly what I was talking about. also all the negative points you bring up about the 9800gx2 have already been mentioned by me and others.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14934/17
The trouble is, things are pretty decidedly not equal. More often than not, the GeForce 9800 GX2 is faster than the GTX 280.

Last edited:
At time of launch GTX 260 (192SP) murdered 9800GX2 when using 8xAA. Now of course when GT200-drivers have matured GTX 260 has easier job with 9800GX2

Same thing happened with 8800 GTS 640MB. Initially it lost against 7950 GX2, but later 8800 GTS 320MB murdered 7950GX2 no matter game.

But can it play crysis :p

Also, i cant see this replacing my tri-285 setup anytime soon. I love these speculation threads.

Back