Grinding hs face with cpu heatspreader

honegod

[H]F Junkie
The point is to have the cooler touching the cpu evenly across the entire contact area.

Finer and finer grit sandpaper on a mirror achieves improved microfinish, so the valleys get smaller, just as the peaks get shorter.

Polishing is good, but I believe it is not really creating a FLAT polished surface.
Because, assuming the mirror is actually flat, the paper of the sandpaper must be exactly the same thickness across the entire surface, and the grit must also all be the same size and spread evenly across the surface.

Stuff from AutoZone doesn't cost like serious sandpaper .

Sandpaper on mirror not likely to be exceedingly precise, then comes the waving the HS around the sandpaper, by hand.

The pressure of the HS against the sandpaper must be perpendicular to the paper, any variation in the down pressure, like when changing direction away from the edge of the paper will cause the surface to be less flat, more convex, and wobbly.

The actual shape of the mating surfaces isn't the point, as long as BOTH are exact mirrors of each other.

Which paper and glass will not do.

I think the cpu needs to be lapped TO the HS contact area, both are copper so they should grind each other evenly, that is the only manual way to get maximum contact that I can see that does not require serious machinery.

Finer grit, until they both ( surfaces) end up polishing each other to the exact same shape, with no gap at all so there would no room for thermal goo, it would almost all be squeezed out by the closely mating polished surfaces.

So there .

Sure, no prob, just stick your package to the face of an orbital sander with double sided tape, and use some cutting compounds. As long as the heat sink is not an exposed heat pipe base, it should work great.

Back