GRID online multiplayer discontinued for PS3 & PC

I really enjoyed playing the PC version of GRID online with a few of my friends.
I don't think I'll buy another game from Codemasters, if they just shutdown the online play after a few years.

Here is the post from the Codemasters forum:

16-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Helios

Hi all, I have an update for you all regarding GRID online multiplayer on the PS3 & PC.
After three years of service, 2008’s Race Driver: GRID's online play service has been discontinued for the PS3 and PC editions of the game. This follows the decision by a third party provider to decline the offer of an extended contract to continue online play on these platforms. Race Driver: GRID for Xbox 360 is not affected. We thank fans for their support and apologize to those affected by the end of this service.

Didn't play GRID online much, partly because my friends didn't have the game, but it's too bad they are shutting it down. It was fun to play against some real people once in awhile, especially destruction derby.

edit: didn't see randomhero's article; looks like some good news for PC players

This is why I NEVER will buy a Codemasters game, ever. Every single fucking game they release, they drop support for the game after about 3-6 months. Granted, it's been awhile since GRID was released, but most of their games get lame support. Look at Operation Flashpoint 2.......

off topic gripe: Just about every game Codemasters comes out with is nothing but a console port. Their GUI's are total shit, and like all true console ports, the atrocious voice coms in the game are ALWAYS on. Nothing is more fun than getting into a match with a mouthbreather :rolleyes:

The same day i buy this game on steam... really now?

Games with discontinued or disabled multiplayer should come with a disclaimer stating as such before you buy. It's only fair.

I really feel for the PS3-only guys, they get the shaft on multiplayer all the time.

You can't really blame them for shutting down servers for an older game. 3 years is a good run.

This is why the PC industry needs to move back to LAN-based gaming and allowing customers to host their own gaming servers.

I don't care jack sh** if it's to prevent piracy like what Blizzard has done with Battle.net and Ubisoft and requiring a log on to play their games.

Convenience is more important than some company's paranoia of losing money to piracy. Not everyone ever pirates games to cause the gaming industry--console or PC-- to crash into bankruptcy.

WTF? Their 3rd party provider won't extend the contract so they just shut it down? They don't even try to look for another provider? What a bunch of horseshit. Good thing I don't really buy racing games to play online anyways. Still stupid, though.

This is why other companies give people the ability to create their own servers. They don't pay anything for those servers to be maintained, and they don't have to worry about them shutting down as long as the game stays popular.

GameRanger seems to work fine.
Hamachi should work also.
People in the Steam forums are saying Tunngle has more users and integrates into the game better but GameRanger allows you to password protect the lobbies.

This is why I NEVER will buy a Codemasters game, ever. Every single fucking game they release, they drop support for the game after about 3-6 months. Granted, it's been awhile since GRID was released, but most of their games get lame support. Look at Operation Flashpoint 2.......

+10 millions

OFP: DR was a buggy piece of shit. They released like 3 patches and then, after a year (or possibly less, I don't recall) just gave up on supporting it altogether. Still has shitty, buggy netcode to this day.

+10 millions

OFP: DR was a buggy piece of shit. They released like 3 patches and then, after a year (or possibly less, I don't recall) just gave up on supporting it altogether. Still has shitty, buggy netcode to this day.

Here's the original Steam thread about them officially dropping support. I think it stood at 4 months after they released it? That's pretty sad, even for a shitty company. And all of the idiots just lining up to buy more codemasters games.

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151964

No but you can blame them for requiring those servers in the first place.
QFT
Least they could do is fix this shit before taking their servers offline, but no, they just conveniently shut it down.

I have both OFDR and GRID, this news just further discourage me from getting any Codemaster's game in the near future.

I could of seen this coming. If they don't give the community the ability to manage their own servers for online then this is the only real viable outcome: it will be shut down at some point.

Back