Great Idea Or Dumb Invention?

Animals are so much better at giving and taking hints. That "I'm going to rip your face off if you don't GTFO" look is pretty universal across all species. Humans are just clueless.

That look is really rude by the way. I was so offended last time you gave it to me when I asked you when you were going to finally get around to cooking yourself into a slice of turkey for my sandwich.

Anyone who lives with LYNC and see's how useful (Do Not Disturb) is understands what I'm saying.

I've had people see my status as "In a meeting" and decide to come to my office to talk face to face because I wasn't available on Lync. Really?! I'm in a damn meeting. Piss off!

I have a ton of patience, and I'm not an asshole about it, but it still irritates the shit out of me...

I guess they just made a very convincing argument that open offices are total bullshit.

:( I work in an open office. We didn't use to have one, but once they moved floors and redid the layout, the Dev/QA is area is open. Everyone else is at least cubes.

I hate it.

I just say go away, I'm busy. Works well.

Unfortunately you can't do that when you are a VP... and my CEO hates it when we close our office doors. I've learned to adapt, but I could use anything that would get the neediest employees to get the message once in a while...

Not a bad idea, the thing is if people will ignore it or not.

I had an idea of a pin one could wear for BT headsets that said "in call" or nothing when you weren't I was getting tired of people either looking at me like I was crazy or trying to talk to me while I was in a call. I was at work and in work calls.
I saw a desk lite a lady had for her deskphone that did that!

Also kill the nursery music. Dislike technological gadgets being pitched to me with that stuff. Stupid apple.

if it's an office thing...then you'd think that using different color post-it notes can accomplish the same thing...without the cost.

If they weaponized it, I may be interested.
Approach when Green = no pain, Yellow - Stun, Amber - prolonged pain, Red - bother me or anyone else no more.

Whether it's a good idea or not, it doesn't matter. No one is going to pay attention to it anyway.

Anyone who lives with LYNC and see's how useful (Do Not Disturb) is understands what I'm saying.

Haha you speak the truth about Lync :p.

Protip: Asking questions and engaging in conversation is totally awesome. If you need a visual cue, you're not paying enough attention to get any hints anyway.

Hints aren't fun.

If they weaponized it, I may be interested.
Approach when Green = no pain, Yellow - Stun, Amber - prolonged pain, Red - bother me or anyone else no more.

Death ray built into your status indicator...

I think I just figured out how we can make Facebook 84% less disgusting!

This is retarded because they don't need a fucking kickstarter for this.
I could design this easily and quickly, as I type this I am figuring out exactly how easy this is to do.

No kickstarter funds required.

This be stupid, except I agree about everyone's comments that open offices are total horseshit.

I guess they just made a very convincing argument that open offices are total bullshit.

The open office/collaborative office style has it's place, but mostly nowhere. Cubes look better and better by the day.

Uh - I have an office with an actual door. Most of the time, it's open which means I'm free to talk.
When I close the door, I'm telling the world I'm busy and should not be disturbed. Does it matter? No, it does not. I have people trying to peer in through the frosted glass, my door knob (which I lock!) is jiggled - why the hell do you think my door is shut?
Would this device work? No.
I have a better idea. I will take their idea and one up up with a laser beam capable of inflicting mild pain. Disturb me now mofos!

If I am your manager, and your light was red, blue, green, purple, black, I would still interrupt you and ask you about dat der TPS report. Then turn the conversation to something personal, like what I did over the weekend and how you should enjoy my adventures!

These are a joke. You want people to have more free time to devote to work? Have them work from home, or give them an office with door shut or door open (obviously if the door is open you're free to discuss).

BTW, there is something much like this kickstarter already out there for people who are on their phones. A blinking LED red to indicate when they are on the phone and when they are not. So that you dont accidentally interrupt their conversation with that awkward "im on the phone" gesture because they are using an ear piece.

See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XD2kNopsUs

I have one of these DND lights with my headset base station. It actually works wonders if people notice it which is the reason I have that little sign up there next to it.

dndlight.jpg

That look is really rude by the way. I was so offended last time you gave it to me when I asked you when you were going to finally get around to cooking yourself into a slice of turkey for my sandwich.

I keep trying to tell you: Cooked Phoenix tastes like ash.

Whatever, I'll just combine cooked you with bacon or something and it'll be okay. Oooh a BLP (bacon, lettuce, Phoenix333) sammich would be a great idea!

Ok, so let's assume you eat my ashes. Did you forget about that whole "reincarnation" part? I'd pretty much telefrag you in real life.

Back