graphics recomendation

akromatic

Limp Gawd
What is a good graphics card replacement for me as im thinking about down sizing my matx rig to an itx box? Currently using ATI 5870 crossfire.

I currently own 2 screens but would like a third soon and hopefully a 3d one

Ideally something isnt too long and would be alright under a 450W PSU

is the 6970 my only choice?

:eek:

Wow, I thought my running a 5870 and an i7 on a backup 525 was tight... whew...

If it works I wouldn't touch it... until normal psu wear-&-tear kicks in... I'd upgrade the PSU first though.

Y.

You're running 5870 CF on 450W?
You have balls.

nah mate, I've a 750W seasonic x that im running my i7 + 5870CF setup which I'm planning to sell. I'd be nuts to run that setup on a 450W.

I'm moving to a whole new rig staying away from multiGPU as ATI drivers been hell thus far

Last edited:
6950 is your only other option especially if your's is in the 85% bracket that unlock to a 6970.

It will need to be a good 450W PSU to run a 6970, an LGA1366 i7 uses a lot of power as it is, unless you're cutting to a 95W CPU as well, like a Sandy Bridge 2600K.

It's my understanding that the 6950 unlock success rate was 99%, where is it shown to be 85?
(This has implications for my purchase)

The success rate is most likely 100% when we talk about unlocking the shaders.
When you throw in the overclocks (yes, it's an overclock) then you might run into normal stability issues, which also includes the memory/core over-volting.

By the way, I voted No in that poll when I meant to vote Yes.

It will need to be a good 450W PSU to run a 6970, an LGA1366 i7 uses a lot of power as it is, unless you're cutting to a 95W CPU as well, like a Sandy Bridge 2600K.

It's my understanding that the 6950 unlock success rate was 99%, where is it shown to be 85?
(This has implications for my purchase)

afaik there is no LGA1366 ITX boards so i'd be getting a new CPU as well, as i said I'd be getting a COMPLETE new system to what i currently have, chances are new system would ether be using a 95W 1055T /1065T or a 1090T depending how the motherboard likes it.

sorry im kinda boycotting intel atm due to their deal with film makers

6950 is your only other option especially if your's is in the 85% bracket that unlock to a 6970.

why cant i just get a 6970 instead of a 6950? I've no intention of doing unlocking even with 1% fail rate

miahallen kinda managed a 480GTX with a i5 on his 450W system

why cant i just get a 6970 instead of a 6950? I've no intention of doing unlocking even with 1% fail rate

miahallen kinda managed a 480GTX with a i5 on his 450W system

because you asked if the 6970 was your only choice, I said the only "other" option besides the 6970 is the 6950. And I really don't care if you unlock/OC or not.

because you asked if the 6970 was your only choice, I said the only "other" option besides the 6970 is the 6950. And I really don't care if you unlock/OC or not.

fair enough, i was thinking about suggestions from team green but i guess i'd have to settle for red team for now

what gets me is that i'm not sure if the 6970 is a worthy successor of my current setup considering i have to sell both my GPUs and chip at lest another $100 for a single 6970(coming from where i live, in the price gouging land down under)

Ahh, didn't know you weren't in the US. The only problem I have with green is needing two cards to do 3 monitors. I was also assuming you were looking to do triple screen gaming though, am I correct on this?

Ahh, didn't know you weren't in the US. The only problem I have with green is needing two cards to do 3 monitors. I was also assuming you were looking to do triple screen gaming though, am I correct on this?

He said 'mate' in one of his responses. That clued me in a little bit. :D

A single 6970 for three monitors, I'm not sure. You may have to back off a little bit on the eye candy. But that's no big deal. Your other option for a single GPU(I'm assuming your mITX won't fit two) would be a 580, it's a good deal more expensive(in the US at least) and will give you around 10-15% more FPS. So that means:

$370: 6970
$500: 580

EDIT: You'll need two nVIDIA GPUs in order to power all three screens. Scratch the 580, and any nVIDIA unless you'd like to run two, which isn't possible I assume.

Last edited:
45% more expense, 10-15% higher frame rate, and perhaps most importantly, 30-40% more watts used. I think the 6970 is more realistic for this case.

45% more expense, 10-15% higher frame rate, and perhaps most importantly, 30-40% more watts used. I think the 6970 is more realistic for this case.

dont forget no 3 monitor singlecard support. 3d vision is an option though

I echo your sentiment. I wrote that mainly to give OP an option, but then also remembered he would need two. So yes, all things considered forget the 580 OP.

fair enough, i guessed im convinced of getting a 6970.

I do have 2 screens and have been considering a third but its a move i havent pulled yet as i'm still only using 1 99% of the time while the second is only on for some heavy multi tasking or when i'm using a PS3 / laptop.

mean while how is the 3d move going on for ATI?

Back