Graphics card capacitor replacement question

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Need two caps to be replaced for two separate cards, any one here know what electrolytic cap replacement I should get for these solid caps.

2010-07-08111951.jpg

2010-07-08111212.jpg

Thanks

Not to get too far off topic...but today I saw an EVGA 7300 GT with four blow solid capacitors. I've never seen solid ones blow like that before.

Can you measure the purple OS CON caps? This value is available in two sizes. I think they're probably the 10mm one. If so a slightly up-rated replacement is UCC APXA160ARA181MJ80G. You can buy it at Mouser for a couple bucks each. If you need a complete set, DigiKey sells them by 5s and I think a bit cheaper. Just search the part number.

Smaller one is a 270uF/16V cap. I don't recognize the logo. This looks like a radial cap, not an SMD one? 8mm diameter? If so, Nichicon PLF1C271MDO1 looks to be a likely good substitute.

Not to get too far off topic...but today I saw an EVGA 7300 GT with four blow solid capacitors. I've never seen solid ones blow like that before.
Not "solid" capacitors that are just regular gel lytics packaged to look the same as polymer ones? I've been seeing these quite a bit lately. I think it's not due to deception, but a reduction of materials and manufacturing cost from eliminating the plastic sleeve.

Edit: Seems that second cap is a Fujitsu FPCAP, a good quality semi-solid polymer cap. The Nichicon should be a fine replacement, though it's tough to verify since I can't find that series code in their current product lineup and they don't list the series codes anywhere to begin with.

Last edited:
Nah theirs no SMT capacitors missing at points 199-200, its just the way the picture was taken. Actually don't worry about the first picture as the card doesn't even heat up for some reason, even before the SVP capacitor was knocked off, the card just wouldn't heat up.

Moving onto the second capacitor, there was three of them badly damaged, and when the card was first booted up, the card would heat up, but there would be a bad smell coming from the 3 capacitors and nothing boots up on screen. Just need to clarify and find a electrolytic substitute for the solid caps. So its a 270uF 16v cap aye? Might check on ebay for couple Sanyo or Nihicon ones.

Just need to clarify and find a electrolytic substitute for the solid caps. So its a 270uF 16v cap aye? Might check on ebay for couple Sanyo or Nihicon ones.

Why do you want a gel electrolytic replacement? This cap should probably be a polymer one to replace the FPCAP. If you're going for a standard replacement though there are lots of options. That's definitely the value though, yeah. And I wouldn't suggest you buy caps on eBay or anywhere else of questionable origin, just go to a trusted vendor like DigiKey or Mouser. Counterfeiting is pretty rampant in the components industry. And it's easier to find what you need, and the parts are only a couple bucks, so I don't see the appeal.

Why do you want a gel electrolytic replacement? This cap should probably be a polymer one to replace the FPCAP. If you're going for a standard replacement though there are lots of options. That's definitely the value though, yeah. And I wouldn't suggest you buy caps on eBay or anywhere else of questionable origin, just go to a trusted vendor like DigiKey or Mouser. Counterfeiting is pretty rampant in the components industry. And it's easier to find what you need, and the parts are only a couple bucks, so I don't see the appeal.

I can't second this enough. I had my senior design project mess up due to shitty caps from eBay.

Because I rather test with a much cheaper replacement on something I don't even know know it will work for sure rather then spending heaps of $$$ on something totally not worth it for a possibly dead card.

I can't even get Solid caps where I am, and electrolytic are the only option and cheapest way for me.

I can't even get Solid caps where I am, and electrolytic are the only option and cheapest way for me.

Get a low ESR cap designed for use in switching power supplies then. Lots of different series out there from every manufacturer. What manufacturers are readily available to you?

I'd probably go for Nichicon HE series. PS series might also be a good choice. If you have access to a distributor, they also have a suitable polymer replacement, the LS series.

I'm not really up on the Sanyo products, there are no distributors I have easy access to here and last I checked the datasheets are relatively hard to find.

Also be sure (depending on which type you go with in the end) that you wont have polarity problems. You shouldn't, but its possible.

Back