Grand Theft Auto V

Do you need to do anything other than play for a few minutes? I played online for a few minutes like ~1.5 years ago, is that enough for that?

You need to complete the Prologue mission (The opening heist mission), then deliver the car as Franklin, return to your house with Lamar, sleep in your bed to save the game, then sync your trophies.
It takes 15 minutes.

You will have to login to your RGSC account and attach your PSN/XBL account to your RGSC account which you will use to play GTA V PC.

I posted the Gaming Evolved link on a few other forums, so much butt hurt. Mostly by people who either don't know what G.E. actually means (it's not AMD's version of GameWorks) or don't realize Nvidia also has their features in the game.

Judging by community response, Nvidia really does own the world. Give them even the slightest hint that AMD might have the advantage with something and they go insane! Meanwhile Nvidia literally owns Ubisoft and nobody gives a shit. It's a 3-on-1 gang bang out there... Closer to 4-on-1 these days. Saw the same response with the DX12 benchmarks a few weeks ago.

Yeah, the claim that a recommended spec machine would only be able to manage medium settings at 1080p seems a bit off. Since when have recommended specs = medium detail? On the other hand, the recommended specs for GTA V are pretty low.

why not just cram it onto a bluray.
Very few PC gamers have Blu Ray drives, many don't have an optical drive at all.

Silly Squirrel! ;)

Percentage-Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS)

Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS)

(I have no idea what any of that means)

According to AMD, CHS is comparable to PCSS but doesn't suffer from banding or noise artifacts.

They are designed to better handle shadow penumbras.

Shadows will soften more as they move from the contact point. Your character shadow would be sharp at your feet and softer near the head.

"Raw Mouse Input = on/off" No horsedick mouse acceleration/neg acceleration bullshit.

Best setting is best.

Those people wouldn't be the target demographic for physical boxed copies then.

Like me.

But I would gladly get a BRDrive if they started releasing games on it.

Games should just release on USB drives now

Preloading now... damn I can't wait to try this! I didn't even like the game that much on consoles but playing on PC should be much better. I'm really curious how well the FPS mode will control when using keyboard/mouse. If it's responsive and lag-free (akin to BF4, CSGO, etc) then I can see myself spending a ton of time in this!

So I know I'm getting the game...just not sure where to get it from. Any reason to get it directly on Steam other than achievements/time tracking vs getting from like GMG?

Games should just release on USB drives now

That's what I've been thinking for years now - they're cheap enough (but granted, still more expensive than pressing discs).

I just finished purchasing from GMG, the voucher I got in my email made it $46, which is solid in my book. I debated going physical copy, as my other PC versions are all physical copies (you know, for that dumb nostalgia), but the 7 DVD's bs isn't worth it.

Blue Ray drives for PC's have been cheap for years. If they haven't started putting games and software on them by now they probably never will.

I've never seen a BluRay disc in my life. Things I need to cross off my bucket list.

Blu-Ray disks look just like DVD's and CD's. The consoles use 'em, so obviously the format isn't totally dead. I think it's just a matter of services like Steam, Origin, GOG, etc. making up so much of the PC gaming market. Outside of a few major titles (WOW, BF, CoD) stores barely carry them now.
I haven't purchased a physical PC game since Neverwinter Nights 2, so I definitely understand.

I think he's saying he's never seen a physical Blu-Ray disc before.
I've seen hundreds of Blu-Ray movies but never interacted with the disc.

I haven't even touched or seen an optical disc in probably 5+ years.

same here, blu-ray drives are 40-50 bucks now, I heard the same lame excuses with CD vs DVD, oh people don't have DVD drives, so 10 CDs are better.

That would be a valid reason a few years ago, but Blu Ray is 9 years old. I've had a BD recorder for 6 or 7 of those. I'd definitely want it on a BD, not a bunch of DVDs. And yes it's nostalgia..especially since GTA, I think, requires a network connection to play the game and there will likely be huge patches to download even if you own the media.

That said, I'm doing what I've done for roughly 20 years....waiting. New games have been a crap shoot since the early to mid-90s. I don't even think I got WCII when it first came out (but I could be wrong). I did get some of the expansions within the first week. I think I bought WCIII months later and WCIV second hand. Hell even Ultima VI had unpatched bugs that crashed the game.

I think he's saying he's never seen a physical Blu-Ray disc before.
I've seen hundreds of Blu-Ray movies but never interacted with the disc.

I haven't even touched or seen an optical disc in probably 5+ years.

If I buy a movie, it's on Blu-Ray. I don't do digital downloads or rentals. I occasionally watch NetFlix, but when I think about it, it's probably not enough to justify the the monthly fee.

What I really want to do, but haven't, is rip all my movies to MKV H.264 files. I like having the disks, but i also like the convenience of having them on my network. I guess I'd consider using a lossless copy, if the size is small enough. Storage is becoming large enough where I could store a 50GB disk, but I suspect a decent amount is just alternate languages and trailers (which I might want in some cases, but not always).

^ off topic but MakeMKV is your friend. you can perpetually get free beta keys in their forum and not have to spend a dime.

I just kept the main movie and DTS-HD audio track when I ripped all my Blu-rays to MKV. Far less hassle flattening your library to single MKV than having to deal with a player that can support BD folder structure (Arcsoft TMT, etc). Also simplifies streaming to phones tablets when you run something like Mediabrowser server

Last edited:
Digital distribution is what I use for video games and nearly all are on Steam and the rest are on Origin. I like this model because I can purchase the game online and do other things while my computer is downloading or preloading and not have to worry about going to a store and I find it convenient that Steam or Origin automatically updates the games for me. Not having a physical copy doesn't bother me as its all about convenience. Plus, the space I have in my computer room for anything is all taken up by comic books :D:D:D:D

I also have an xbox one connected to one of my monitors and even though I have a physical copy of gta v on that system I have enjoyed it, I'm ultimately more interested in the PC version. I also purchased forza horizons for my xbox via digital distribution and even though the xbox took forever to download it, still more convenient for me than heading to a store, I'm a full time college student and I work full time so the one thing I can never get enough of (in addition to money) is time.

Last edited:
Source

(Sorry if the screenshots are old)

PyG9GxI.png

LOL! I also played the game on ps3 and even though it looked good considering the hardware, I'll never go back.

Someone should find a similar location in GTA: San Andreas and do a PS2, PS3, PS4 and PC comparison poster just for fun.

wow even on ps4 the colors looks so washed off.. what the hell ? i can understand ps3 looking dat bad but ps4 ? come on....

The funny thing about those shots it that while they lack the fidelity of the PC version, they better mimic how things in the extreme distance don't have the same focus or clarity to your eye.

Well the main problem with that comparison pic is that it's a completely different time of day in the ps3 and ps4 pic vs. the pc pic. The first two are like early twilight while the PC pic is in the middle of sunset (or sunrise) so the colors are probably much stronger.

Well the main problem with that comparison pic is that it's a completely different time of day in the ps3 and ps4 pic vs. the pc pic. The first two are like early twilight while the PC pic is in the middle of sunset (or sunrise) so the colors are probably much stronger.

Thank you. Not to mention the PC version clearly shows more detail at a distance instead of a haze/fog.

So I think you're right in that if the PC screenshot was the same time of day as the first two, the result might be similar. But even if it wasn't, and that's the trade-off for sharper visuals and more detail...I'll deal.

I am running through the install now. Seems there is an additional 5GB download after signing into the Social Club...SO much disk space used.. :)

Watching some gameplay videos of the PS4 version, and the shadow draw distance seems really low. Like shadows popping in from a few feet away.

Now obviously all open world games have a limit to the amount of detail that can be rendered at one time, but are we to expect this same pop-in on PC? I hope not.

Just compare the boom in each, huge difference in detail.

I'm sure that'll be required for the physical copy as well, which is at least a 6 hour download for me now :(

Back