Graffiti Goes High Tech

Huh, I could think of a lot worse things for these miscreants could be doing then doodling on subway walls.
Personally I think its pretty clever.

Having seen advertisements similar to this in Metro tunnels before, I wouldn't be surprised if this were a sanctioned art project instead of graffiti.

I don't know the full details about the graffiti beyond my own observations but I rode that particular line for many years (it's the uptown local track that crosses the Manhattan Bridge with the next stop at Grand Street) and that section has been there for at least 20 years, if not longer (I'm 28). Along that section of track are cut outs that simulate the animated effect as you pass by. I remember it actually was defaced many years ago by some miscreants who tagged over it but either it was cleaned up or the panels were replaced. If you ever want to see it, just take the B uptown from Dekalb Ave. Coincidentally, if you want good New York Cheesecake, get off at Dekalb Avenue and head to the world famous Junior's Cheesecake across the street!

That's pretty cool. Probably much harder to make than it looks too. They had to get the size/spacing right according to the speed of the train. Guessing they probably did some test panels and rode it a few times till it looked good then did the rest.

I really doubt it's graffiti. Been there for so many years that it's probably just an MTA funded or sponsored art project.

there's something similar on BART i remember seeing when i live in san fran. there were these musical notes moving up and down on a scale at some point in the tunnel as you approach the embarcadero from the east bay.

I was seen those since back in the early 80s when I took the subway to school. I graduated HS in 1982 so its been there for a long time.

Animated graffiti? What will they think of next? Thanks to airdanada for the video.
Steve, I'm a Brooklyn native, 36 years old. Those are new panel designs but it's been there for as long as I can remember back when I was in elementary school. You would see it riding the D train from Dekalb Ave to Grant St (or any trian that exited Dekalb Ave on the local track going over the Manhattan bridge on its north side). They put the artwork up in the old Worth St station (you'd be amazed at how many old/abandoned train stations and tracks exist beneath the city). It was mind-blowing the first time I saw it and never stopped being cool even as a young adult. Oh the memories.

But, thanks for posting because I didn't know they redesigned the panels and I haven't had to ride that train line in over 10 years.

Yeah, not what I was expecting, have seen it before long long ago... but cool nonetheless :)

Back